Remove this Banner Ad

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
I reckon ODIs are pretty forgettable but one game I'll never forget is the first official one-day game at the WACA in 1980 or 81.

The crowd outside pushed a fence over and in the chaos my mate and me managed to get into one of the stands, So many people ran through the hole in the fence the crowd was sitting on the grass up to the rope.

We got about 190, DK got 40 something. We had them about 2-30-odd and we're in with a show. Then Viv and Clive smash the s**t out of our attack and get the total in 30 overs. In an era when 250 was a big score.

I reckon ODIs are pretty forgettable but one game I'll never forget is the first official one-day game at the WACA in 1980 or 81.

The crowd outside pushed a fence over and in the chaos my mate and me managed to get into one of the stands, So many people ran through the hole in the fence the crowd was sitting on the grass up to the rope.

We got about 190, DK got 40 something. We had them about 2-30-odd and we're in with a show. Then Viv and Clive smash the s**t out of our attack and get the total in 30 overs. In an era when 250 was a big score.

it is forgettable when you forget when it was ;)

what an awesome west indies side it was.

but here's the scorecard for you to reminisce:

I remember this game because they made a big deal about it going live all day to Perth which was probably the first time it had happened. Holding took a catch that made the final seven of classic catches that day too.
Ran a mile to get it from memory.

Viv hitting the ball into the crowd sitting around the rope.

Sums up the opening post.
He forgets what he cannot remember...

Remember lots of ODIs such as Hookesy hitting Andy Roberts for six after coming back from broken jaw from same bowler a month or two before.
Mark Waugh 5 wickets in an ODI I went to.
The epic 1999 World Cup matches. 1996 semi final in middle of night where Windies looked certain to win and lost.

Sums up the opening post.
He forgets what he cannot remember...

Remember lots of ODIs such as Hookesy hitting Andy Roberts for six after coming back from broken jaw from same bowler a month or two before.
Mark Waugh 5 wickets in an ODI I went to.
The epic 1999 World Cup matches. 1996 semi final in middle of night where Windies looked certain to win and lost.
That's the point. Mainly forgettable but have thrown up some memorable matches.

World Cups actually mean something, unlike the hundreds of meaningless odi series that have taken place over the last 45 years.

That's the point. Mainly forgettable but have thrown up some memorable matches.

World Cups actually mean something, unlike the hundreds of meaningless odi series that have taken place over the last 45 years.
The more recent ones have been more meaningless because you rarely have the best 11 play each other any more with the schedule so full they rotate players too often it really only best 11 in final parts of a World Cup but the ODIs three decades back were memorable because best 11 were more often what you saw each ODI and why I would watch more of them and therefore remember more of them.
I remember more from earlier ODIs than I do from ones in last 25 years where players rested is more the norm so it not best 11 anymore, except the World Cup.

Viv hitting the ball into the crowd sitting around the rope.

They would never let people sit on the field near the rope these days, I remember jumping on the field and sitting near the rope at the WACA when we were kids and no one cared but the security guards would pounce on you as soon as you set foot on the field these days.

Back then security was pretty slack which is why those England supporting yobbos were able to jump on the field during that Ashes test at the WACA back in 1982 where Terry Alderman injured his shoulder, he was trying to tackle one of them because there was no security guards out there to do it.

They would never let people sit on the field near the rope these days, I remember jumping on the field and sitting near the rope at the WACA when we were kids and no one cared but the security guards would pounce on you as soon as you set foot on the field these days.

Back then security was pretty slack which is why those England supporting yobbos were able to jump on the field during that Ashes test at the WACA back in 1982 where Terry Alderman injured his shoulder, he was trying to tackle one of them because there was no security guards out there to do it.
The crowd was over the ground's capacity that day because a load of people got in for free through a busted fence. The people around the rope were just spillage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what an awesome west indies side it was.

but here's the scorecard for you to reminisce:

:eek:Holding, Roberts, Garner, Marshall.... has there ever in the history of the game been a better quartet of fast bowlers get on the field together?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back