Coach Shaun Grigg departs to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast has pulled off the assistant coach coup of the off-season so far, luring contracted Geelong assistant Shaun Grigg to the Suns.

Grigg, who had a deal in place until the end of 2024 at GMHBA Stadium, has agreed to join Damien Hardwick as a senior assistant coach.

As reported by Sam Edmund, Hardwick and the Suns targeted Grigg several weeks ago, but it was only on Monday that the premiership Tiger confirmed his desire to link up with his former mentor in Queensland.

It’s understood Grigg loved his time at Geelong, where he has been since late 2019.

Just goes to show coaching contracts are worthless in the AFL. A coach can be sacked and a coach can sack the club and move on.

There will be plenty of big fish out there to lure, e.g., Steven King?

Don’t think Joel will be taking on a coaching role next year ….. as an assistant.

Heard him speak recently and he’s enjoying time away from 24/7 AFL life, and taking on different projects.

More likely to be Enright they try and get back I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
One thing I noticed about Joel... I am not sure a TV career is his calling unless he receives hypnosis therapy to stop prefacing every sentence with "I mean"!

I got his book for Father's Day. Can't wait to read it

Travis Varcoe leaving the Dogs (cut?), would love him back in a development role.

Travis Varcoe leaving the Dogs (cut?), would love him back in a development role.

Not sure he’s the best of the available assistants. Cats will have been planning for this and will have targets.

In all seriousness I thought Grigg may have been our next senior coach, I don't think they mind letting him go to a different club and environment just to further get different experiences before he potentially is a very strong candidate in a couple of years (should Scotty finish up)

He's certainly not going there to take over from Dimma is 6 years is he..

Biggest racket- merry go round on fantastic money - is the Assistant Coaches mob

I can remember Bomber Thompson - he was honest enough to say when he left Geel - look im burnt out - but i still need cash flow (to service that Armstrong Creek development ) what can i do - i will become an assistant coach - no pressure - and a great pay packet

As the late Kenny Judge said - and he was an assistant coach and he was a senior coach at 2 clubs - he said - Assistant coaches - all care but no responsibility

And with some of them - when the clubs get sick of them - they hitch up their caravan and take their troubles somewhere else - there is allways a mate at some other club who will give you a fantastic pay packet

Don’t think Joel will be taking on a coaching role next year ….. as an assistant.

Heard him speak recently and he’s enjoying time away from 24/7 AFL life, and taking on different projects.

More likely to be Enright they try and get back I think.

Id prefer joel corey but yes enright would also be good.

Id prefer joel corey but yes enright would also be good.
I'm not big on bringing him back immediately. He basically just got to St Kilda.

Stevie J at the very least has been at the Giants, Swans, and coached his own side. He's done his apprenticeship.

I prefer to get fresh voices into the club. Even Kelly had been at Essendon for a few years before coming home.

Scott's the man in charge obviously, but after that it helps to have your line coaches be from external sources. It just becomes one big echo chamber otherwise (Which I believe we struggled with when it was Scott, Lappin, Enright & Scarlo)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance we see Daisy Pearce move in as midfield coach? (I know we say we do it differently - offence and defence - but I think we actually have coaches still focussed by line).

Stevie J, Varcoe, Enright, Corey, Selwood. Let's just get all the Geelong buys back.

If history tells us one thing, it's that boys' clubs generate success, and that past club champions equate to gun coaching staff.

We won a flag after clearing out Scarlett and Enright as coaches. Our last two flag coaches have not been former Geelong players. Besides the romance, familiarity and seeming convenience, we shouldn't want to favour previous Geelong players. Look for the best available and bring them in. Ideally, look at the top sides and try to poach from them, either from the coaching ranks or from the recently departed players stepping into coaching.

Stevie J, Varcoe, Enright, Corey, Selwood. Let's just get all the Geelong buys back.

If history tells us one thing, it's that boys' clubs generate success, and that past club champions equate to gun coaching staff.

We won a flag after clearing out Scarlett and Enright as coaches. Our last two flag coaches have not been former Geelong players. Besides the romance, familiarity and seeming convenience, we shouldn't want to favour previous Geelong players. Look for the best available and bring them in. Ideally, look at the top sides and try to poach from them, either from the coaching ranks or from the recently departed players stepping into coaching.

We actually haven't had a Geelong coach who played for Geelong since 1988.

Haven't expended much energy on this, but who was the last premiership coach to have played for that club? I'm guessing Roos and Worsfold?

To be fair, we do have Kelly, Egan, Shagga and Ottens as coaches, but I get your point and agree.

I thought of Grigg as our potential next head coach, he seems like a smart and a capable person . So I would definitely like to bring another of that type as you say. An Yze/Carr something of that ilk would be my wish.

Would've liked him if/when Scotty decided to pull the pin.

Dimma has a 6 year deal, he'll be waiting for a while.

Maybe we get Grigga back as senior coach?
Might happen.
Probably will benefit from helping get GC into their first final, and GF. (Listening to Hardwick)

I'm okay with it if they've done an apprenticeship elsewhere. Grown as a person, picked up some new ideas, and seen how other clubs operate.

Not a big fan of what we did with Scarlo & Enright though, basically coming in straight after retirement. In what way does that make you better? It's just the same people and ideas you've had for years on end.

The club by all reports was a much better place in late '21 & 22, and largely due to having a new coaching staff on board. It felt fresh and new again, and probably happier due to Scarlett's departure.

Champion player, and forever grateful for what he did on the field...but he's an absolutely rubbish human being. Don't want him anywhere near the club.

Biggest racket- merry go round on fantastic money - is the Assistant Coaches mob

I can remember Bomber Thompson - he was honest enough to say when he left Geel - look im burnt out - but i still need cash flow (to service that Armstrong Creek development ) what can i do - i will become an assistant coach - no pressure - and a great pay packet

As the late Kenny Judge said - and he was an assistant coach and he was a senior coach at 2 clubs - he said - Assistant coaches - all care but no responsibility

And with some of them - when the clubs get sick of them - they hitch up their caravan and take their troubles somewhere else - there is allways a mate at some other club who will give you a fantastic pay packet
Yeah, you only work 60-70 hours a week. Easy!

I'd rather 60-70 hours a week as an assistant coach than 60-70 hours a week in most other industries, where do I sign up?
In most industries people don’t work those hours.

No job security. Thrown out when a new coach comes along. Use-by date of 40-45 in most cases. And many of them lost their jobs with the cuts to the soft cap during Covid, never to return.

They get to work in an industry they love, but it’s not quite as rosy as it sounds. They work bloody hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back