Coach Shaun Grigg departs to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Gold Coast has pulled off the assistant coach coup of the off-season so far, luring contracted Geelong assistant Shaun Grigg to the Suns.

Grigg, who had a deal in place until the end of 2024 at GMHBA Stadium, has agreed to join Damien Hardwick as a senior assistant coach.

As reported by Sam Edmund, Hardwick and the Suns targeted Grigg several weeks ago, but it was only on Monday that the premiership Tiger confirmed his desire to link up with his former mentor in Queensland.

It’s understood Grigg loved his time at Geelong, where he has been since late 2019.

Gold Coast has pulled off the assistant coach coup of the off-season so far, luring contracted Geelong assistant Shaun Grigg to the Suns.

Grigg, who had a deal in place until the end of 2024 at GMHBA Stadium, has agreed to join Damien Hardwick as a senior assistant coach.

As reported by Sam Edmund, Hardwick and the Suns targeted Grigg several weeks ago, but it was only on Monday that the premiership Tiger confirmed his desire to link up with his former mentor in Queensland.

It’s understood Grigg loved his time at Geelong, where he has been since late 2019.

So how does that work? He's contracted till end 2024, do we get a draft pick or some more room in our coaching cap?

So how does that work? He's contracted till end 2024, do we get a draft pick or some more room in our coaching cap?

I assume we'll release him from the final year of his contract as a gesture of goodwill / thank you for his time with us, which by all accounts was really impressive. I have heard Scott say that Grigg is a senior coach in waiting.

I assume we'll release him from the final year of his contract as a gesture of goodwill / thank you for his time with us, which by all accounts was really impressive. I have heard Scott say that Grigg is a senior coach in waiting.
Would've liked him if/when Scotty decided to pull the pin.

Dimma has a 6 year deal, he'll be waiting for a while.

Maybe we get Grigga back as senior coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't aware that Stevie J wasn't in the AFL system this year, I thought he was still an assistant in NSW.
Would definitely love to get him on board, assume there's no bad blood between him and Scott/Hocking despite the way his career with us finished??

Geelong Cats can confirm that it has agreed to release assistant coach Shaun Grigg from his 2024 contract to pursue another opportunity.

I wasn't aware that Stevie J wasn't in the AFL system this year, I thought he was still an assistant in NSW.
Would definitely love to get him on board, assume there's no bad blood between him and Scott/Hocking despite the way his career with us finished??
He's coaching Yarrawonga.

My mates brother is close with him so I'm trying to sus out whether or not he has interest, or interested in working at Geelong.

My mates brother worked with Geelong for a while.

Out of the retired players from this year
Maybe Isaac smith, or Phil Davis be considered

Well you'd hope so. They've under achieved for a decade especially the last two years.
Not sure Dimma and Griggs will get them a win in September next year though.
Lacking a decent forward or two.
Depends on if Chol sticks around and who they can trade in. Ben King kicked 40.21 from 20 games, had a few games where he kicked 3s, 4s and 5s and with the exception of the loss to the Lions when he kicked 3, when he kicked 3 or more they won. But with the exception of the game against the Lions late in the year when he kicked 5, he was pretty poor second half of the season and got subbed off after 1 disposal at one point.
Casboult is 34 next season, and from 24 games this season kicked 24.20. And Chol from 8 games kicked 10.2. Not really good numbers but I can't think of a key forward they can bring in that would be instantly an upgrade on Casboult.

Losing Grigg hurts, whoever earlier in the thread said they would make finals, wonder who their next assistant coach will be. Wonder if he pinches another ex Tiger coaching elsewhere or picks up anyone who doesn't want to remain at Tigerland.
Because if they can pick up a decent defensive or forward coach I think they will make the 8 for sure next season.

Well you'd hope so. They've under achieved for a decade especially the last two years.
Not sure Dimma and Griggs will get them a win in September next year though.
Lacking a decent forward or two.
Well they do have Walter coming via the draft.

Him and King will be a formidable duo for a decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back