Streaming Shogun (use spoilers for big story events)

Streaming Television
Just binged this show.

Nothing short of Brilliant.

The English man's voice annoys the s**t out of me sometimes but that just nitpicking.

Agree with others the Actress playing Mariko is absolutely amazing.
That she is.

She's also absolutely beautiful.

Episode 9 was called Crimson Sky. I understood that to be Toronaga's plan to attack Osaka. But that didn't happen. Was that misdirection by the producers?

Episode 9 was called Crimson Sky. I understood that to be Toronaga's plan to attack Osaka. But that didn't happen. Was that misdirection by the producers?
He did attack Osaka. He attacked using Mariko as his proxy to undermine Ishida's claim that the women and children He held weren't hostages.
Her put down of him saying she wasn't a peasant to be confined ( his lineage is from peasantry) and raising her voice and calling out his manners in front of the diaymo's and other members of the council, was directed and poignant. Her threat of seppaku due to offence would have compelled Ishida to commit seppaku as he had caused the offence so he decided to use the shinobi to kidnap her, so he could rescue her then keep her 'safe' in Osaka castle.
Mariko completely out manoeuvred Ishida, only Ochiba knew what was going on.
When the shinobi attacked they tried to carry her off not kill her but she fought them off and when the shinobi said get the fuses to blow the door, she sacrificed herself by standing at the door.
That is why Yabushige was freaking out when she stood at the door sacrificing herself, he knew the plot and knew she was not meant to die.
With her death, the regents families will have to be released, and there will be some of the regents and warlords will go to Toranaga's side.
This was the whole reason for crimson sky. Remember he lost half his army in the earthquake and Tsunami, and needed to divide the council.
Ishida has shown he can't protect a high birth samurai woman in his own castle. His reputation and authority has been damaged.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
One of the best mini series made imo, up there with Band of Brothers and True Detective S1.

I yearn for a second season but I'm ok without it, they followed the source material and that's it.
I'm hoping they do Taipan as well. I remember reading it - many, many, years ago.

I have to admit I was expecting the last episode to be a battle, as it seemed to build to it throughout, so I felt a bit disappointed it never really happened. I did like how we finally saw the real Toranaga under the facade of the Japanese noble leader in that scene before Yabushige commits seppuku. That whole discussion was great. Overall, it has been an outstanding series, one of the best TV shows I've seen in a long time. If I had one minor criticism it was the portrayal of Blackmore (the Anjin) never sat right with me, and I don't think that actor was the best choice for it. But everything else was superb. Anna Sawai, who played Mariko, was one of the best acting performances I've seen in a long time. 9/10

It's probably worth a rewatch. It wasn't clear in the early episodes how good the show would be. There were a lot of characters introduced that were developed later.

Rewatching now with my wife. Some interesting things from Ep1 & 2. The Taicho says to Toranaga on his death bed ' life is strange, a dream of a dream, the title of Ep10.

When Yabushige arrives at Ajiro his nephew asks if he will inform Toranaga of the barbarian ship. He says 'why tell a dead man the future?', the same thing Toranaga says to him just before his seppuko.

Toranaga knew everything that was going on and said.

The English man's voice annoys the s**t out of me sometimes but that just nitpicking.

I'm 4 episodes in and really enjoying it but I'm finding this annoying as well.

I'm not sure if it's because all the other acting is great and he is getting exposed a bit but he is easily the worse cast out of the lot which is a shame for one of the main characters.

Anyway I'm surprised there is only 2 pages of discussion for the show as it's probably the best show I've watched since GOT.

Really enjoyed this. Was happy to luxuriate in the world setting in the early episodes but it really ramped up from Episode 7 onwards.

As others have said, Anna Sawai was brilliant - able to convey a lot of emotion with only a slight change of face or tone of voice. The final scene with her husband - the tea ceremony - was heart-breaking.

It struck me that for someone like John Blackthorne, Japan must have seemed so much more clean and organised than the messy European cities he had come from like London and Amsterdam.

I watched the 1980s mini-series a couple of months ago, and it was interesting comparing the differences between the two.

The 1980s version was told very much from Blackthorne's perspective, to the extent that almost none of the Japanese language was translated - either by voiceover or subtitle. This reflected his incomprehension of the language, at least in the early stages of his time in Japan. There were some voiceovers (by Orson Welles, no less) and subtitles provided in later episodes, but they were still few and far between. The 2024 version has many more scenes in which Blackthorne wasn't present, and thus would not have any direct knowledge.

The 2024 version had a lot more exposition, such as explaining the significance of Marika's death for the upcoming battle.

In the 1980s version, Blackthorne was ordered to spend the first 6 months living in the fishing village, charged with learning to speak Japanese. If he failed to do so, then everyone in the village was to be killed. This never made it into the 2020s version.

Blackthorne's performance, to aid Toranaga's escape from Osaka Castle, was very different. In 2024, he just gets angry, playing up his lack of understanding of Japanese culture. In the 1980s, he played the fool, acting if he'd gone completely off his rocker (playing to the stereotyped image that Ishido had of him). I think I prefer the 1980s version of this scene.

I liked the 2024 version better, for adding the Japanese subtitles. The actors playing Mariko & Toranaga were both outstanding, and I really hope Anna Sawai wins an Emmy for her performance.

Anyway I'm surprised there is only 2 pages of discussion for the show as it's probably the best show I've watched since GOT.

Perhaps when all episodes of a show are released at once, people are reluctant to join in the discussion because they are unsure when events can be spoken about.

If a show is released weekly like GoT you get fun speculation about the latest episode and what might happen in the next one.

Perhaps when all episodes of a show are released at once, people are reluctant to join in the discussion because they are unsure when events can be spoken about.

If a show is released weekly like GoT you get fun speculation about the latest episode and what might happen in the next one.
Shogun was released weekly...

2 episodes to go..

Although I understand it is a huge part of the Japanese culture, I think there has been too much Seppuku stuff and it made the ending to episode 8 a bit of an anti climax./SPOILER]

He did attack Osaka. He attacked using Mariko as his proxy to undermine Ishida's claim that the women and children He held weren't hostages.
Her put down of him saying she wasn't a peasant to be confined ( his lineage is from peasantry) and raising her voice and calling out his manners in front of the diaymo's and other members of the council, was directed and poignant. Her threat of seppaku due to offence would have compelled Ishida to commit seppaku as he had caused the offence so he decided to use the shinobi to kidnap her, so he could rescue her then keep her 'safe' in Osaka castle.
Mariko completely out manoeuvred Ishida, only Ochiba knew what was going on.
When the shinobi attacked they tried to carry her off not kill her but she fought them off and when the shinobi said get the fuses to blow the door, she sacrificed herself by standing at the door.
That is why Yabushige was freaking out when she stood at the door sacrificing herself, he knew the plot and knew she was not meant to die.
With her death, the regents families will have to be released, and there will be some of the regents and warlords will go to Toranaga's side.
This was the whole reason for crimson sky. Remember he lost half his army in the earthquake and Tsunami, and needed to divide the council.
Ishida has shown he can't protect a high birth samurai woman in his own castle. His reputation and authority has been damaged.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have just watched the episode and didn't really understand it completely but I now appreciate it more after reading this.

Back