Umpiring Should a Goal Umpire be able to make a call for foot on the line

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're a Field Umpire, then the over-inflated ego you display is what's going wrong with our game. And the comment about "if they cared so much"... Wow. I guess you'd prefer everyone abandoned the other disciplines and we stuck with the random guy on the sideline who will stand behind the goals for a beer after the game eh?

There's no ego about it flag waver. The goal umpire is paid to get the scores right. the fieldie makes the decisions in the middle. If he is competent and knows his stuff then he should not need assistance on the kickout.....if he does need assistance or misses a free then his mate in the mid zone is there to call anything that he misses. The goal ump should be concentrating on signalling, waving and recording the score.

If we need your help we will ask for it. Im not being arrogant (well i probably am) but I am good enough to back myself and my decisions. I trust my fellow fieldie and his abilities when he does call a free I miss. quite frankly I do not trust a goalie when it comes to awarding frees. thats not his/her job. I don not pretend that I could be a goalie as well as someone with ten..twenty...thirty years experience so do not insult me by saying that when the roles are reversed that a goalie could do so.

There's no ego about it flag waver. The goal umpire is paid to get the scores right. the fieldie makes the decisions in the middle. If he is competent and knows his stuff then he should not need assistance on the kickout.....if he does need assistance or misses a free then his mate in the mid zone is there to call anything that he misses. The goal ump should be concentrating on signalling, waving and recording the score.

If we need your help we will ask for it. Im not being arrogant (well i probably am) but I am good enough to back myself and my decisions. I trust my fellow fieldie and his abilities when he does call a free I miss. quite frankly I do not trust a goalie when it comes to awarding frees. thats not his/her job. I don not pretend that I could be a goalie as well as someone with ten..twenty...thirty years experience so do not insult me by saying that when the roles are reversed that a goalie could do so.
Wow, get any further up your own backside you'll need a map and lantern to get out.

You've actually said up there that you'd take the word of the guy over 50 metres away over a guy within 10, who has zero chance of anyone else being between the guy infringing and himself.

Just remember that you're part of a team umpiring a game. That team includes umpires from three disciplines who's goal should be to officiate the game to the highest standard, whether that damages your precious little ego or not. Calling your teammates "flag waver" shows how fragile your mind is. I bet you've never recalled a bounce, because you're just that good too.

Wow, get any further up your own backside you'll need a map and lantern to get out.

You've actually said up there that you'd take the word of the guy over 50 metres away over a guy within 10, who has zero chance of anyone else being between the guy infringing and himself.

Just remember that you're part of a team umpiring a game. That team includes umpires from three disciplines who's goal should be to officiate the game to the highest standard, whether that damages your precious little ego or not. Calling your teammates "flag waver" shows how fragile your mind is. I bet you've never recalled a bounce, because you're just that good too.

I love going fishing - u make it just too easy. Firstly YES. I would trust the MZ ump about 40 metres from the kick off (he should be positioned just off the arc) rather than a goal umpire. I would do so because the mid zone umpire has proved he can umpire to a senior standard throughout the year and has been selected (as I have) to take charge of the game. The goal umpire has been selected because he has proven he is up to a senior standard of goal umpiring (not field umpiring but GOAL umpiring). we do not count the odd u15 game he does on a sunday to try and lose a few kilos (as is probably your case).

Know your role and stick to it. I am sure you are good at what you do. I am equally sure you are not as good at field umpiring as the man (or woman) in the middle. If you were then you would be holding the whistle and he would be waving the flags. This is not a goal umpiring bashing exercse. I am just trying to point out that each of the three disciplines are there for a reason. There is no reason why we need to have their duties overlap.

Witness the fiasco that happens now in the AFL when four or five umpires stand around for five minutes trying to work out if it was touched or smothered or if it was a goal (just because they are too scared to back themselves and give a decision).

ALL CLEAR!!!!

ABSOLUTELY 1000% correct Umps supporter. Couldn't agree more. This is the most common sense posted yet on this topic. When umps start wanting to expand their role in the game you have to question their motives (ie are they trying to impose themselves on the game and be noticed).

You have no right posting in this forum if you are going to be so sensible and talk common sense. You will put the rest to shame.

ha ha, I love it.

I am just trying to point out that each of the three disciplines are there for a reason. There is no reason why we need to have their duties overlap.

I would *love* to umpire a game with you, Jake. Deep in the forward pocket, less than a minute to go, boundary puffing along 70m away, the ball rolls just over the line before being scooped back in and snapped through for the winning goal.

You'd never call it, because its the boundary's job. I wouldn't call it because you'd well and truly let me know that I had to stick in my little world behind the posts.* The boundary couldn't call it because they didn't see it.

ALL CLEAR!!!!

* Of course I'd call it, because umpires are a TEAM, not five umpires and an appendage.

I would *love* to umpire a game with you, Jake. Deep in the forward pocket, less than a minute to go, boundary puffing along 70m away, the ball rolls just over the line before being scooped back in and snapped through for the winning goal.

You'd never call it, because its the boundary's job. I wouldn't call it because you'd well and truly let me know that I had to stick in my little world behind the posts.* The boundary couldn't call it because they didn't see it.

ALL CLEAR!!!!

* Of course I'd call it, because umpires are a TEAM, not five umpires and an appendage.
Every official/referee/umpire etc is part of a team regardless of the sport that they are officiating (i.e. Athletics, Volleyball or AFL) For people to say otherwise is quite simply ludicrous and is not very well thought through.

ALL CLEAR!!!!

Well I dont know what tin pot league you umpire in or attend Dilbert but in my major league our boundaries are never caught 70m behind play or they would not get a senior game. A lot of our boundaries are progressing up to VFL next year and I take my hat off to them. I will excuse your ignorance in your post because I know that you are probably juggling to reach your mouse over that enormous pot belly accumulated from your armchair BUT if the ball DID go out and the boundary is caught out of position AND i had a 100% clear view then I would be entirely within my role of field ump to call it out.

My whole point is that if each umpire umpires to their abilities and fulfills their role then the game flows smoothly. I trust my fellow umpires to be at a skill level befitting the game we are appointed to officiate in and they do the same of me.

I will enjoy my GF this week and I will enjoy the other 7 umpires i run with. I hope you enjoy your ten beers and your normal routine of scrolling through the World Movies Channel till you find the naughty bits.

The goal umpires should get the final say in anything goal/goal square related I reckon. They are the eyes behind the play and they have (generally) the best vision of whats happening in that area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back