Should Haddin make it to the 2015 Ashes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Well should he?

And if not when is the best time to bring in his replacement?

He was massive in the Ashes but the stats show a trend of declining batting abilities.

haddit.jpg

His keeping is mediocre to okay and by now Clarke's leadership should be secure enough to not need Haddin in the team.

My view is that we should retire him after the World Cup.

Does he still provide more than Nevill or Whiteman?
Will he in England next year?

We're at a point where all of Haddin, Harris, Rogers, Clarke, Watson, Siddle and even Johnson could end up retiring over the next 1-3 years.

How are we going to prepare for that?

The only reason I'd consider moving Haddin on now is the age profile of the team and those possible retirements as listed in the OP. As it stands my preference long term is Whiteman.

As for the batting stats in the OP, it's pretty much a lottery if Whiteman would do any better. Haddin is an accomplished first class batsman in his own right and has put together some very good seasons for NSW in the middle order. I don't really think batting can come into the equation as there is no competent wicketkeeper in the Shield who is also a handy batsman. What sticks out to me in those stats is his batting is unreliable against/in most countries, except NZ and England where he really cashes in. It's too soon to say if it is a downward trend, or just a continuation of an erratic batting career.

All his career he has suffered from following Gilchrist. Had he followed Healy there would be no discussion around his batting.

Basically up to how Whiteman performs. Very promising so far, but would like to see a few substantial innings from him before making such a big call.

I didn't realise Nevill was so "old", he's nearly 30 already. And his stats are basically the same as Whiteman's.

Barring a massive gap in early Shield season form (Nevill guns it while Whiteman fails consistently), I don't see the logic in going with Nevill over Whiteman.

I notice alot of AUS followers seem to dislike him but speaking from an England perspective...
Haddin always seems to do well in the Ashes and is a thorn in our side.

I notice alot of AUS followers seem to dislike him but speaking from an England perspective...
Haddin always seems to do well in the Ashes and is a thorn in our side.

For good reason perhaps.
He averages 43 with 3 centuries from his 19 tests against England and averages 30 with 1 century from his 39 tests against everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he will play in England, wouldn't be shocked to see him retire from 1 day and 20/20 internationals after the world cup, then go next summer as a test keeper only to try and get an extra year or two in the baggy green.

Wade's series against South Africa will put a lot of pressure on Haddin for the shorter form of the game, but don't think he will have much pressure on the Test position at this stage.

Unless he has an absolute disaster of a series with bat & gloves will go.

Wade is clearly still the #2 in the eyes of the selectors and has test runs on the board. Nevill is going to be one of those unlucky players along with Hartley who could well of been good test players if things fell their way. After Wade Paine is likely next pick then Whiteman, the longer Haddin goes the worse it gets for Nevill.

Unless he has an absolute disaster of a series with bat & gloves will go.

Wade is clearly still the #2 in the eyes of the selectors and has test runs on the board. Nevill is going to be one of those unlucky players along with Hartley who could well of been good test players if things fell their way. After Wade Paine is likely next pick then Whiteman, the longer Haddin goes the worse it gets for Nevill.
Ah yes, nothing says disaster like averaging 6 then 11 in back to back series.

His about to be capped as Australia's next test captain, so it would have to be a pretty steep fall from grace to not be behind the stumps in England next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back