Opinion Should we consider bringing Noble back

should we bring Noble back as our Football Department Head

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we'll have Neil Balme as soon as Richmond are done this year unless his health is worse than has been disclosed. We need someone with that sort of cache, who can come in and have immediate respect from everyone. Come in, do an internal review, then see through the changes. Bingo, proper foundations laid and the rebuild can start with confidence.

Noble really made a bad career decision to be a senior coach. He was on the path to be a CEO somewhere, which is what he really wanted IMO, but I don't see any club going near him with his reputation tarnished. Maybe the AFL will give him a job.
Third year running into "Neil Balme will come to save us".

I watched the same thing and was thinking that we are only a few games better than them over the last 3years and you don't hear a peep about why the crows should be competitive. All we hear about is how north can't allowed to sit at the bottom for years. What the * do they think has been happening at the crows?
One difference - North is a Victorian club. We are not.

We all want the best people at the club, but clearly we both have different opinions as to quality people who are proven winners.

Yes I'm more than comfortable with an older Balme who makes success happen than a younger unproven person... even in a part-time role.

Experience often comes with age... though granted it's no guarantee of quality... but with the likes of Balme or Blight it is.
Balme in a part time advisory role, sure. But that doesn't necessarily fill a gap.

Still, his presence would be morale lifting.

Balme in a part time advisory role, sure. But that doesn't necessarily fill a gap.

Still, his presence would be morale lifting.
Balme is an advisory certainly fills a gap we have at AFC at the moment.

He knows how to change a club for the better... something that I'm not convinced those currently at AFC are that experienced in.

Balme is an advisory certainly fills a gap we have at AFC at the moment.

He knows how to change a club for the better... something that I'm not convinced those currently at AFC are that experienced in.
My view is I don't think those people think they're doing anything wrong and will be less than receptive to any input that says otherwise. I was told a rumour about Nicks being offered a further resource of someone to come in and review and offer advise on what he's doing and he absolutely shut down any talk of that happening.

My view is I don't think those people think they're doing anything wrong and will be less than receptive to any input that says otherwise. I was told a rumour about Nicks being offered a further resource of someone to come in and review and offer advise on what he's doing and he absolutely shut down any talk of that happening.
Wouldn't surprise me. It's essentially an admission he's out his depth. He also already has Scott Burns as a senior assistant so he'd be throwing him under the bus too. Remember the club getting better is not the first priority for these people. Survival is paramount.

Wouldn't surprise me. It's essentially an admission he's out his depth. He also already has Scott Burns as a senior assistant so he'd be throwing him under the bus too. Remember the club getting better is not the first priority for these people. Survival is paramount.
Nicks doesn't take me as the type of guy that takes constructive criticism overly well.

interesting that it came out that Noble was behind banishing Roos from his footy dept role. Noble and Nix a bit similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s now the new principal of Dick Johnson Racing, having taken over from Dr Ryan Storey who is also a part owner.

Strange career change to say the least. I was not aware of any motorsports interest in his past.

interesting that it came out that Noble was behind banishing Roos from his footy dept role. Noble and Nix a bit similar.
Where was that stated?

He’s now the new principal of Dick Johnson Racing, having taken over from Dr Ryan Storey who is also a part owner.

Strange career change to say the least. I was not aware of any motorsports interest in his past.
Talk was always on him gunning for a CEO position of an AFL club, which was why it was surprising when he took the North coaching job. Guess he decided maybe he wasn't gonna get that chance in the AFL now, so pivoted elsewhere to get it?

Where was that stated?

Talk was always on him gunning for a CEO position of an AFL club, which was why it was surprising when he took the North coaching job. Guess he decided maybe he wasn't gonna get that chance in the AFL now, so pivoted elsewhere to get it?
Possibly, but it’s unusual for a racing team principal to not have motor racing experience

Where was that stated?

Didn't you see the Paul Roos article on not being wanted in the footy dept in 2022?

Where was that stated?

he's been trying to get back into coaching for years. He'd get his mates to put his name forward in the media as someone out of left field that should be contacted. Always had the passion to coach.

Where was that stated?

Where was that stated?

He’s trying to get the Chief Exec experience to top up his footy background, as a way to get a footy CEO role in future

Provided he makes a success of the racing I’d think his strategy probably pays off

Thanks.

Not exactly sure what Noble was afraid of there, Roos is zero chance to usurp the job from him. I guess the only potential issue is if Roos is also working the this assistants and they start listening more to him than Noble.
Roos might have saved Noble's job for a bit longer. Noble seemed completely bereft of coaching ability.

Roos might have saved Noble's job for a bit longer. Noble seemed completely bereft of coaching ability.
Never showed much at Glenelg or at this AFL stops. Think it was a case of North trying to be a bit too clever and going for an experienced "jack of all trades" and covering holes that had developed because of COVID cutbacks.

Wouldn't bring him back as a coach, but there's certainly a role for him at our (or some other) club.

With the change to the sub rule next year, it's now 22 players plus a sub, so potentially 23 players playing each week. That's as many as 23 players' jockstraps that aren't just going to scrub themselves after each match. And that's not even counting the SANFL.

Back