Opinion Silver Lining?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, it seems that every single recognised 'senior leader' from the Bailey era wants out of the club.

Moloney and Green = gone.

Davey and Rivers = rumoured to be heavily considering their futures.

Now, those four players have made up the clubs leadership group over the past 5 years - no doubt they're big personalities in the group.

I'll admit to having doubts about losing so much experience all once but...

My question is.. is this a bad thing?

They were all dumped from the leadership group this year, but anyone who thinks that they still didn't have a huge influence over the group they'd been leading for the past 3+ years is kidding themselves.

Will not having these guys to fall back on force our younger players to stand up?

It may well force youngsters to step up. I think the biggest benefit of getting rid of the Bailey era "leaders" is that it will silence any dissenting voices from disgruntled players who don't want to commit to the new regime. If this is going to work, we can't have players grumbling in the background - especially players that still hold some influence over the younger players.

So, it seems that every single recognised 'senior leader' from the Bailey era wants out of the club.

Moloney and Green = gone.

Davey and Rivers = rumoured to be heavily considering their futures.

Now, those four players have made up the clubs leadership group over the past 5 years - no doubt they're big personalities in the group.

I'll admit to having doubts about losing so much experience all once but...

My question is.. is this a bad thing?

They were all dumped from the leadership group this year, but anyone who thinks that they still didn't have a huge influence over the group they'd been leading for the past 3+ years is kidding themselves.

Will not having these guys to fall back on force our younger players to stand up?

I honestly don't think it's a bad thing

For too long it's felt as though there has been a arrogant senior player culture at Melbourne.

Back to the Lyon days (Hollywood Boulevard) where it's widely reported Senior Players ignored younger players or treated them with contempt

From the outside, it feels as though there is still some element of this within our senior player group (some not all)

The reports of the events pre 186 - interestingly these are all the guys leaving / wanting out.....

Rivers has said as much himself, that he's 'not getting any younger' - I've heard he's weighing things up and has a lot of clubs interested in his services.

But I think from Riv it's a purely chance of success vs club loyalty situation.

Just wondering if people have forgotten that rivers said he wants to stay a demon and give back to the club.

So where's all the talk about him potentially leaving coming from? Any Proof at all or is it all rumour and Inuendo?

Rivers was very ambiguious when he said that

And I know for fact he's considering between 1 team player or chasing success

So rumour and innuendo it is?

I just see alot of people talking about players leaving with nothing to back them up in their claims. If it's all just talk then ok, but if people are just pulling names out of a hat then they are no better than the BS media.

Try searching for anything related to what is being said. The only thing I an find is BYRNES saying he had no idea about the MFC

I just see alot of people talking about players leaving with nothing to back them up in their claims. If it's all just talk then ok, but if people are just pulling names out of a hat then they are no better than the BS media.

Try searching for anything related to what is being said. The only thing I an find is BYRNES saying he had no idea about the MFC

Tim Harrington told my old man at the foundation heros dinner - enough for you?

The problem is that if anyone has a legit source they aren't going to tell us who it is here are they if it was said in confidence are they? Just like in the media, when a story is broken they don't name the source.

Nothing wrong with some speculation anyway. I see nothing derogatory about Rivers in this thread just that he may be weighing up his options.

This same bloke told me that Cook and Gysberts' futures were in the balance before the media pieces came out - also said Bate will go and Dunn will get a 2 year deal.

He's said Riv is weighing up his options, he may well still stay - but it's no certainty,

I think it would be a real shame if we let Riv go.

He had a fantastic season, was our best defender and then moved forward because there was nobody else who could do it.. Did you see him whinging or complaining about being played out of position? I have him in my top 5 for the B & F.

Key defenders who are strong overhead and not overawed playing on the big boys don't grow on trees - If Riv left and Chip went down, then we would be in a bit of strife.

Regardless as to his leadership credentials, I think that purely from the pint of view that he is in our best DEF 6, he should be re-signed. And it would be great to have a one-club player come out of this breed (besides Col & Jonesy). St Kilda rumoured to be interested but let's sign him up!

I think it would be a real shame if we let Riv go.

He had a fantastic season, was our best defender and then moved forward because there was nobody else who could do it.. Did you see him whinging or complaining about being played out of position? I have him in my top 5 for the B & F.

Key defenders who are strong overhead and not overawed playing on the big boys don't grow on trees - If Riv left and Chip went down, then we would be in a bit of strife.

Regardless as to his leadership credentials, I think that purely from the pint of view that he is in our best DEF 6, he should be re-signed. And it would be great to have a one-club player come out of this breed (besides Col & Jonesy). St Kilda rumoured to be interested but let's sign him up!

It is not us considering Riv's future, it is Riv

It's a two way street mate. He was one of the fellas in the article in The Age a few weeks ago who we were not negotiating with until season's end.. He deserves better than that, his re-signing should have been a priority.. He was the only person dropped from the leadership group whose performances suggested that was the incorrect decision...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a two way street mate. He was one of the fellas in the article in The Age a few weeks ago who we were not negotiating with until season's end.. He deserves better than that, his re-signing should have been a priority.. He was the only person dropped from the leadership group whose performances suggested that was the incorrect decision...

How do you know Riv didn't set that agenda. I mean Neeld seems to be a fan of his work considering how much he's talked him up this year.

Join the dots.

Riv told the club he was considering his future and put off contract talks, hence he was listed as one of those who was not negotiating til seasons end

Of all the players who have and/or are leaving Rivers (along with Gysberts) i don't want to lose. Despite being dumped from the leadership group he stood tall this year and played some good footy at both ends of the ground. But i can understand he is getting on in age and wants to play some finals footy.

After our terrible start to the year i held the thought despite our inexperience we needed to get rid of "senior" players from the bailey era (essentially players from Jones age and up) except for Jamar and Rivers as i think the work hard and contribute positively on and off the field.

Any silver lining on this season is likely to be the metal of the oncoming train.
You mean it hasn't hit us yet? Yikes!

On topic: Don't want Rivers to leave, and I too have some concerns about losing all these guys in one fell swoop. If we can replace them with players who will set a better example, than sure, it'll be fine, but I dunno that we'll be able to fill in the void of leadership and experience we'll be losing.

Mark Neeld said definitively on SEN that Rivs is weighing up his options.

Davey is staying.

Green and Moloney both gone.

I hope Rivers stays, one of my favourite players over the journey. He is simply seeing if a club like the Hawks will give him a run.

I don't think Riv would go to Geelong, If he want's to enter a club with an opening premiership window. Geelong will need a couple of years at least to revitalise their list as their champions end their careers. He'd be better off walking into a club like Adelaide if he wanted a shot at a premiership

Don't see what all the fuss is about after the season that we just had there needs to be radical change!
The only players on our list that i see as off limits to other clubs would be the two captains Grimes & Trengove Jones Clark Howe Frawley & probably Jamar!Players come & players go lets hope to see a completely different looking list come round 1 2013!

Without disrespecting those guys, they're no longer the leaders of this club. Moloney and Green have already left, and they could very well be followed by Rivers.

Thanks for your contributions fellas, but we're building a side around Trengove, Grimes, Frawley, Garland, Jones, Clark, Howe, Blease, etc..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back