Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

“Gold Coast is the sixth largest city in the country and it’s rugby league heartland."
Is it really, though? I'd put Ipswich and Sydney in that category, and I'd even put Brisbane well before the Gold Coast. I'd say they lost that title when the Chargers left. AFL is pretty heavily ingrained on the GC now, and it's growing. It won't stop rugby league being popular, but that's a pretty inaccurate comment.

Gold Coast Titans drug investigation: Mad Monday, parties lead police to cocaine ring
Jeremy Pierce, Chris Garry, Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
February 22, 2015 12:00AM

A MAD Monday booze cruise and a player’s buck’s party helped lead police to a multi-million dollar cocaine ring allegedly involving some of Australian sport’s biggest stars.

Investigators allege they gathered surveillance on a booze cruise held as part of the Gold Coast Titans’ traditional end of season celebrations while it is believed they also intercepted telephone conversations between players.

A player’s buck’s party also came under the spotlight.

Queensland Reds vice-captain Karmichael Hunt and two Gold Coast NRL players have already been charged with supplying cocaine and as many as seven other former and current Titans are in the crosshairs of investigators from the Crime and Corruption Commission and Queensland’s Major and Organised Crime Squad.

At least one high-profile player is already aware he will face charges and there could be more arrests as early as Sunday when the Titans arrive back on the Glitter Strip following Saturday night’s trial in Cairns.

Police will allege Hunt and Titans players Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling were supplying cocaine in the syndicate on the Gold Coast to friends and colleagues.

Dowling’s defence lawyer Campbell MacCallum on Saturday said the young utility will be defending the charge.

Titans players will attend a series of crisis meetings with their managers, club officials and lawyers on the Gold Coast on Sunday night with some managers planning to meet their players at Gold Coast Airport on Sunday afternoon in case police are present to serve them on site.

The crisis meetings will see players told their rights, their legal options and the likely process for the next 12 months.

At least two Titans players have discarded their phones after being warned they were under investigation.

Others are using the mobile phones of staff members to make all calls and refusing to even update their family on the cocaine crisis engulfing the club.

Shattered Titans CEO Graham Annesley said the situation would become clearer over coming days.

“I am hoping to speak to players when they come back on Sunday,” he said.

“Since yesterday morning I have heard so many different things but I cannot speculate on what may happen.”

The cocaine crisis comes just weeks after former State of Origin players Jason Smith and Matt Seers were charged with trafficking the drug.

Police will allege one of the syndicate’s kingpins was former Sydney Roosters rugby league player John Thomas.

Appearing under his real name of John Touma, the 49-year-old slipped quietly through Southport Magistrates Court on February 6, charged with supply and possession of cocaine.

One of the charges relates to supplying cocaine to former Roosters teammate John Tobin, a veteran of 125 first grade rugby league matches through the 70s and 80s.

Thomas played just two first grade matches for the Roosters in 1986-87.

His Mermaid Waters home was the alleged scene of more than a dozen drug deals involving former North Sydney and Wests Tigers star Matt Seers in the latter part of last year.

Police allege both were involved in the same cartel as Smith, who was arrested last month in Toowoomba where he has taken over the running of a pub since winding up his decorated playing career.

Thomas will face Southport Magistrates Court again on March 11, five days after Hunt, Falloon and Dowling face the same court.

NRL chief executive Dave Smith has already launched another crackdown on player misbehaviour, pledging to rub serious off-field offenders out of the game for long periods.

He declared: “We are not going to let a few players wreck our image and brand”.
The bolded and underlined part is what interests me.

The AFL value the strategic need for the Suns at $20m annually, it may seem wasteful to start again, but the Titans are privately owned, the NRL haven't committed that much to begin with.

No they dont. The AFLs contribution to the Suns this year was about 4 million more than similar payouts for melbourne clubs, at most it can be said that the extra investment was just under 8 million (above the base distribution given to all clubs). See table below - it needs more fleshing out, but Ill get that with the last three reports and the rest from the AFl report.

2015distributions.png

Is it really, though? I'd put Ipswich and Sydney in that category, and I'd even put Brisbane well before the Gold Coast. I'd say they lost that title when the Chargers left. AFL is pretty heavily ingrained on the GC now, and it's growing. It won't stop rugby league being popular, but that's a pretty inaccurate comment.
I don't think anyone could say with confidence that the gold coast is truly still rugby league heartland. It seems a lot of people are living in the past when it comes to the city's modern day preferences. We know a lot of victorians, south australians and western australians have moved to the glitter strip in the last 15 years so the demographic's priorities has changed over the decades. I remember robert walls saying that when he took over the gold coast based bears in 1991 that they had a membership base of 1800 and and at best crowds of 7000 at carrara against the big clubs like carlton, essendon and collingwood. Compare those numbers to the suns these days and it's obvious a lot has changed over the 24 years.

No they dont. The AFLs contribution to the Suns this year was about 4 million more than similar payouts for melbourne clubs, at most it can be said that the extra investment was just under 8 million (above the base distribution given to all clubs). See table below - it needs more fleshing out, but Ill get that with the last three reports and the rest from the AFl report.

2015distributions.png
Do you happen to know the avg over their existence?

The general point still stands, the AFL see value to a team on the GC to the point of committing millions annually to their survival, just as I'm sure the NRL do.

Do you happen to know the avg over their existence?

The general point still stands, the AFL see value to a team on the GC to the point of committing millions annually to their survival, just as I'm sure the NRL do.

According to the Clubs reports

2014 - $16,506,277
2013 - $16,873,517
2012 - $13,634,149
2011 - none reported by the club
2010 - $6,206,869

According to the AFL reports

2014 - not released yet
2013 - $9,775,186 (Leaving 7.1 million to come out of New Markets funding - 2013 total: $11.553 million)
2012 - $9,352,117 (leaving 7.5 million to come out of New Markets funding - 2012 total: $14.594 million)
2011 - $7,864,234 (not known how much came from new markets funding - 2011 total: 33.683 million)
2010 - None listed in 2010 (all funding perhaps from new markets - 2010 total: $23.738 million)

Note that New Markets funding covers both Gold Coast and GWS.

Fun fact: In 2006, the AFL announced a $200 million budget to get these teams up and running to scratch. In 2013, the leagues New Markets funding passed 100 million. ($101,502,000).

Last edited:
According to the Clubs reports

2014 - $16,506,277
2013 - $16,873,517
2012 - $13,634,149
2011 - none reported by the club
2010 - $6,206,869

According to the AFL reports

2014 - not released yet
2013 - $9,775,186 (Leaving 7.1 million to come out of New Markets funding - 2013 total: $11.553 million)
2012 - $9,352,117 (leaving 7.5 million to come out of New Markets funding - 2012 total: $14.594 million)
2011 - $7,864,234 (not known how much came from new markets funding - 2011 total: 33.683 million)
2010 - None listed in 2010 (all funding perhaps from new markets - 2010 total: $23.738 million)

Note that New Markets funding covers both Gold Coast and GWS.

Fun fact: In 2006, the AFL announced a $200 million budget to get these teams up and running to scratch. In 2013, the leagues New Markets funding passed 100 million. ($101,502,000).
Cheers!

Would I be correct in saying the suns made a considerably larger profit in 2014 when compared to 2013 despite being given less funding from the AFL?

Define considerably. A 1.2 million uplift in Membership and ticketing, plus a 800k increase in sponsorship are good signs.

This might help answer most of your questions. The data is almost worthless before 2012.
gcsuns2012-14.png

Define considerably. A 1.2 million uplift in Membership and ticketing, plus a 800k increase in sponsorship are good signs.

This might help answer most of your questions. The data is almost worthless before 2012.
gcsuns2012-14.png
It looks good to me. A million dollar profit in one year is nothing to sneeze at, especially when your funding has been reduced from the previous year.

To stick with the theme of this thread do you have any of the titans annual reports? I'd be interested to see if they made a profit in 2014 too.

It looks good to me. A million dollar profit in one year is nothing to sneeze at, especially when your funding has been reduced from the previous year.

To stick with the theme of this thread do you have any of the titans annual reports? I'd be interested to see if they made a profit in 2014 too.

Ive been unable to find the Titans reports

They are a privately owned club, their business model is very different with the NRL not giving them an additional $8 million on top of the standard club grant, they would not be making a profit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two more Gold Coast Titans, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Joe Vickery, charged over cocaine crisis
  • JEREMY PIERCE
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • FEBRUARY 22, 2015 2:13PM
TWO more Titans players have been charged over the cocaine crisis engulfing the NRL club.

Outside back Kalifa Faifai Loa and former squad member Joe Vickery have both been served with notices to appear in court over the scandal.

Titans players arrived back on the Gold Coast this morning.

Most refused to comment as they left the airport.

Vickery, 25, is a former Titans squad member who spent the last two seasons playing in the British Super League, including stints at Leeds and Wakefield.

He has since returned to the Gold Coast but is not an active member on the Titans roster.

Faifai Loa, also 25, joined the Titans last year after playing stints with St George Illawarra and North Queensland Cowboys.

He has played Test football for the Kiwis and Samoa.

The Crime and Corruption Commission is expected to issue a statement shortly.

Queensland Reds vice-captain Karmichael Hunt and two other Gold Coast NRL players have already been charged with supplying cocaine and as many as seven other former and current Titans are in the crosshairs of investigators from the Crime and Corruption Commission and Queensland’s Major and Organised Crime Squad.

Police will allege Hunt and Titans players Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling were supplying cocaine in the syndicate on the Gold Coast to friends and colleagues.

Titans players will attend a series of crisis meetings with their managers, club officials and lawyers on the Gold Coast on Sunday night with some managers planning to meet their players at Gold Coast Airport on Sunday afternoon in case police are present to serve them on site.

TITANS’ FUTURE UNCLEAR AS PRESSURE MOUNTS
FOXSPORTS.COM.AU
– FEBRUARY 22, 2015

The Gold Coast Titans are on their knees, with the NRL are under pressure to revoke the club’s licence, and saviour Darryl Kelly weighing up his investment amid the drugs scandal engulfing the club.

In the latest embarrassment for the NRL, the Gold Coast are officially homeless today, opting to sever ties with The Southport School following the charges against Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling.

Compounding their pain, a secret consortium considering investing in the Titans is now weighing up whether to walk away from a club lurching from one disaster to the next.

Under NRL rules, each of the 16 clubs must satisfy key criteria to remain in the premiership. Given Gold Coast’s ongoing financial concerns and struggle for sponsorship, NRL hierarchy may decide to wipe the slate clean, particularly if white knight Kelly formally cuts his losses.

Holy *, Greg Bird and Dave Taylor have been named in the cocaine investigation according to FSN.

TITANS’ FUTURE UNCLEAR AS PRESSURE MOUNTS
FOXSPORTS.COM.AU
– FEBRUARY 22, 2015

The Gold Coast Titans are on their knees, with the NRL are under pressure to revoke the club’s licence, and saviour Darryl Kelly weighing up his investment amid the drugs scandal engulfing the club.

In the latest embarrassment for the NRL, the Gold Coast are officially homeless today, opting to sever ties with The Southport School following the charges against Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling.

Compounding their pain, a secret consortium considering investing in the Titans is now weighing up whether to walk away from a club lurching from one disaster to the next.

Under NRL rules, each of the 16 clubs must satisfy key criteria to remain in the premiership. Given Gold Coast’s ongoing financial concerns and struggle for sponsorship, NRL hierarchy may decide to wipe the slate clean, particularly if white knight Kelly formally cuts his losses.

Why didn't you read this before posting? http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...233973853?nk=6c5a7ce8c7c90112b0b15ffb2ed36f43

Gold Coast Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly vows to remain at embattled club

Peter Badel Exclusive
The Sunday Mail (Qld)
February 21, 2015 7:16PM

BESIEGED Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly has a message for those who believe the Titans are on death’s door, defiantly declaring last night: “I’m here to stay.”

Breaking his silence amid the cocaine scandal that has rocked Queensland sport, Kelly told The Sunday Mail he has no plans to abandon a Titans club relying on his investment to stay alive.

Speculation sweeping league circles yesterday suggested Kelly was reviewing his 47.2 per cent stake in the club following the Titans duo Beau Falloon and Jamie Dowling being charged with supplying cocaine.

But the 64-year-old white knight vowed to bankroll the Titans for the long haul, scuppering suggestions the NRL could strip their licence as part of a Gold Coast rescue.

“I will say this now ... I’m here to stay,” Kelly said on Saturday night.

“I am committed to see this through and I will do my darndest to make sure this club is successful.

“This (the cocaine scandal) has also galvanised me and people at the Titans. Rugby league is my sport, so I’m staying on.”

The business tycoon has pumped an estimated $5.3 million into the Titans and jokes that people could rightly question his sanity underwriting a club lurching from one crisis to the next.

When news of Falloon and Dowling’s charges broke on Friday, Kelly admits he was devastated and briefly considered his financial and emotional investment in the Titans.

“(On Friday night), I think everyone was considering their position here,” he admits.

Graham Annesley: 'It's been a tough day'

“It was a pretty black day and I was personally physically ill.

“I was so disappointed when you put so much work in. At the moment, they are allegations but it still affects you. But the response from the public and the people like Graham Annesley (Titans CEO) and Rebecca Frizelle (chairwoman) is what can we do to help?

“At 5am (yesterday) morning when I woke up, I had a discussion with my wife to whom I’ve been married for 39 years. I said I’ve made up my mind, I’m sticking with this club. I’m convinced this is what I have to do. There is no doubt at all.

“There’s a few reasons I won’t walk. The main one is the people that would be affected by this if it was to fall over. A lot of very good people don’t deserve a kick in the guts.

“And I suppose I’m a pig-headed person who wants to see the Titans successful.

“It’s been a lot more challenging, but I built my personal business on taking over businesses that were in trouble. Everything I have done in business has been about restructuring, but the Titans is a different animal altogether and it’s a lot harder.”

Kelly is adamant the Titans can avoid becoming another sporting carcass on the holiday strip, claiming there has been no agitation from the NRL to re-brand or take over the club.

“The NRL have got confidence in the board in place now, so I don’t expect we will see any changes to our club,” he said.

“The NRL is very competitive and knowing you have the hierarchy behind you prepared to back us is great, but we’ve earned that backing with the decisions and changes we’ve made.

“Structurally, we have changed things. Our football department is new. We’re making all the right moves, we just need a few clean breaks.”

Kelly said he remained in the dark on whether the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission will press more charges against Titans players.

“We’ve heard nothing from them, that’s a fact,” he said. “We’ll get on with things and see what charges get read out in court on March 5.”

gcsuns2012-14.png

Once we start having a bit of success , watch membership and sponsorship increase , club looks in decent order of the field .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back