Roast Skills That Kills (Us)

Remove this Banner Ad

Man for man our skills are the worst in the comp and it's just not kicking. Handballs to bootlaces or straight to opposition in Dempster's case today (just as example). We turn the ball over from the most innocuous areas and as a result we are left totally out of position defensively. I can't understand why we continually try and pull off 3/10 kicks when we could at least kick into space and at worse force a ball up if we get tackled. Stanley would benefit enormously from this as would Billings. It's a disgrace how poorly we use the football as a team.

Man for man our skills are the worst in the comp and it's just not kicking. Handballs to bootlaces or straight to opposition in Dempster's case today (just as example). We turn the ball over from the most innocuous areas and as a result we are left totally out of position defensively. I can't understand why we continually try and pull off 3/10 kicks when we could at least kick into space and at worse force a ball up if we get tackled. Stanley would benefit enormously from this as would Billings. It's a disgrace how poorly we use the football as a team.
It's diabolical isn't it? If I could find my post from a few weeks ago I'd put it in here but I really do wonder whether we're putting in the work to improve when so many senior players shank them left right and centre. Obviously Jones has never improved, Ray, Dempster's kicking has gone backwards. Obviously natural talent has a bit to do with it but worrying signs IMO.

It's diabolical isn't it? If I could find my post from a few weeks ago I'd put it in here but I really do wonder whether we're putting in the work to improve when so many senior players shank them left right and centre. Obviously Jones has never improved, Ray, Dempster's kicking has gone backwards. Obviously natural talent has a bit to do with it but worrying signs IMO.
But even then they still persevere trying to hit kicks they must know they aren't capable of. So why not play the percentages and kick into space? I still laugh when Delaney takes kicks out. He and Bruce are horrific users of the ball by foot. They are worse than Jones. However at least they can bring something else to the table. It's just a joke how bad we are.

But even then they still persevere trying to hit kicks they must know they aren't capable of. So why not play the percentages and kick into space? I still laugh when Delaney takes kicks out. He and Bruce are horrific users of the ball by foot. They are worse than Jones. However at least they can bring something else to the table. It's just a joke how bad we are.
I agree our skills are awful for the most part but as far as Bruce/Delaney.. they arent going to get any better unless they are given the duties to actually improve.

There is literally no replacement for actual game time. Training only helps skills so much because you cannot ever apply real actual pressure an unpredictability in training.

Jones had seven goal assists in the first five games. He's out of form at the moment, but you cant say that his good form didn't contribute to our early strong performances, and help to instill a winning culture in the young players.

Yes - good point mate. I defended Jones on this forum as our best player along with Roo in the early rounds so I should qualify by saying that I don't see him as the future going forward and we should get more games into the youngsters.

I am surprised that you think Delaney is a bad kick. From the games I have seen his kicking has been excellent...?o_O

I am surprised that you think Delaney is a bad kick. From the games I have seen his kicking has been excellent...?o_O
It's definitely hit and miss. He's not too bad with the percentage kick but is prone to a bad one every now and then. Definitely shouldn't be taking the kick-ins, especially when we have Gwilt, Webster or even Murdoch when he plays down there.

It's definitely hit and miss. He's not too bad with the percentage kick but is prone to a bad one every now and then. Definitely shouldn't be taking the kick-ins, especially when we have Gwilt, Webster or even Murdoch when he plays down there.

Fair enough. I do now recall one across the face that ended in tears. Totally agree that he shouldn't be taking kick-ins. He should be out in the marking zones. Webster for me every time. I am actually surprised that we haven't tried the wild man more often. He tends to hit targets.

Hi guys n gals.

Just watching a replay of the St Kilda vs West Coast game, ATM (5am, sound turned down). At about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter, one of your blokes makes a good run, taking 3 or 4 bounces. A WC player dives and touches him on the calf. The Ump gives a penalty and the WC player is given the ball.

Can you tell me what the penalty was for?

Cheers.

I believe that one was Cameron Shenton and he was pinged for running too far with the ball. Was kind of stiff as he bounced it just as the ump blew his whistle and the umps cant tell what 15 metres is anyway based on when they pay marks haha.

I believe that one was Cameron Shenton and he was pinged for running too far with the ball. Was kind of stiff as he bounced it just as the ump blew his whistle and the umps cant tell what 15 metres is anyway based on when they pay marks haha.
Thanks mate. I certainly didn't think he ran too far. IMO, running with the ball should be encouraged..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can kick for length, but not so great when needing to hit a target 30m away. Ball spins all over the place.

I've got him on my "handball at all costs" list mate, I think his kicking has been diabolical.

I've got him on my "handball at all costs" list mate, I think his kicking has been diabolical.
I think he knows this though. How many times does he mark in the pocket from a kick in & take ages with his kick? Happens every time & it ends up being a rushed one cos the umpire has called play on & the bloke on the mark is rushing at him. I reckon he's waiting for someone to run past for a handball so he doesn't have to kick it.

To be fair though, I have Delaney, Bruce, Dempster & Gwilt all on my 'handball at all costs' list this year, they've all been horrendous!

I think he knows this though. How many times does he mark in the pocket from a kick in & take ages with his kick? Happens every time & it ends up being a rushed one cos the umpire has called play on & the bloke on the mark is rushing at him. I reckon he's waiting for someone to run past for a handball so he doesn't have to kick it.

To be fair though, I have Delaney, Bruce, Dempster & Gwilt all on my 'handball at all costs' list this year, they've all been horrendous!
Good call on Gwilt. Taking an eternity to make a decision this year.

Ouch - mate that sounds like the list of death! I have to agree. Dempster and Gwilt have me beat. both are beautiful kicks but they have lost all confidence. It may be that they are simply getting older or the pace of the game means that they can't keep up. Bruce has always been a crappy kick and i am sure he will be told to either thump it long or handball. His dinky kicks could go anywhere. and typically have.

Probably our most damaging kick (in a bad way) is Jack Steven

1- because he gets more kicks than most

2- his turnover kicks are generally short kicks... Which flip over bad

3- Jack needs to look over the first line option, to a deeper target... Not finesse so much

Probably our most damaging kick (in a bad way) is Jack Steven

1- because he gets more kicks than most

2- his turnover kicks are generally short kicks... Which flip over bad

3- Jack needs to look over the first line option, to a deeper target... Not finesse so much
In all seriousness, welcome BM. I've wanted you to come over here for years. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back