Sydney Showgrounds (Spotless Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Scully2Folau said:
Biggest contingent of away fans is usually found in 439-441 (and the Crows had one of the bigger visiting parties last year)

NSWCROW said:
sth east pocket seems to be the goer .
Cheers Scully2Folau and NSWCROW!

Quite excited. This will be my first time seeing the Crows in action as I never had the opportunity to attend live matches while I was still living in Adelaide. Funny enough the first ever live game I went to was last year when GWS was up against North. (My uni was giving away free tickets :p)

I'd have preferred to see Adelaide up against Sydney though... GWS has become my secondary team haha.

Oh right, seems like 439-441 are unavailable. I bought a couple of tickets in aisle 406 so hopefully that will have a decent view. I'm literally forcing my GF to come as well. If there's anyone I need to convert then she'll be the first one!! A bit sad that none of my friends in Sydney are into Aussie Rules... :(

It certainly is. Round 1 was at ANZ, rounds 3 and 5 in Canberra.

With Easter being a bit later next year there's some talk we might get a game in before the Show; here's hoping...
I'm hearing that as well. Especially if the AFL goes with the earlier start and longer season as has been suggested, we're likely to get round 1 at Skoda before it gets handed over to the Easter Show.

Just to clarify , NO actual parking in the " side-streets " is there ??

And also , are the GA sections in the sth-east pock reserved ?

Nope, but there are a few car parks but depending on whats on and crowd expectation I wouldnt use them. Best bet is to use the trains (when they work) as the station is about 100 feet from the stadium.

Just to clarify , NO actual parking in the " side-streets " is there ??

And also , are the GA sections in the sth-east pock reserved ?
Your best bet for side-street parking would be Uhrig St or Carter St, on the other side of ANZ Stadium.
For some events they have 2-hour special event limits; but I don't think that applies to GWS home games. But check the signs. If the 2-hour limit is in use, park at Lidcombe then get the sprint train from there.

I think the SE pocket is unreserved GA; but Ticketmaster could probably help you with that one better than I.

I'm hearing that as well. Especially if the AFL goes with the earlier start and longer season as has been suggested, we're likely to get round 1 at Skoda before it gets handed over to the Easter Show.
Hope so, it just seems unprofessional that a team doesn't get to use its home ground until round 7, it really does make the ground sound temporary.

Hope so, it just seems unprofessional that a team doesn't get to use its home ground until round 7, it really does make the ground sound temporary.
Especially when you're building a market there. Bit different when it's Geelong and their first three games are blockbusters. The Giants should play at ANZ in round one, Skoda in rounds two and five, then Canberra in seven, 11, 15, and 19.

With Easter/the show being a few weeks later next year, I'd like to see something like this:

R1 - Skoda vs Swans
R2 - away
R3 - Skoda (Thurs - first night of Easter show)
R4 - away
R5 - Canberra
R6 - away
R7 - ANZ or Blacktown (neither are really ideal, especially ANZ against anyone but the Swans, but it gets us back in Sydney...)
R8 - away
R9 - Skoda
R10 - away
R11 - Canberra
R12 - bye
R13 - Skoda
R14 - away
R15 - away (vs Swans at SCG or ANZ)
R16 - Skoda
R17 - away
R18 - Canberra
R19 - away
R20 - Skoda
R21 - away
R22 - Skoda
R23 - away

Ideally all 8 Sydney games would be at Skoda, but that would mean having 6 weeks away from Sydney again which we've had for the first two years. No more than 4 weeks away in the above.

Easter Show dates for 2014 are 10-23 April. Going by the same season start as the past couple of years, Skoda should definitely be available for round 1, possibly round 2 or 3 depending on show setup times (Thurs R3 is first night of the show)

This year our first game at Skoda is 5.5 weeks after the show. That puts us at round 9 or 10 next year. So best case it'd be unavailable from rounds 4-8, worst case 3-9.

Especially when you're building a market there. Bit different when it's Geelong and their first three games are blockbusters. The Giants should play at ANZ in round one, Skoda in rounds two and five, then Canberra in seven, 11, 15, and 19.

I dont think we should play at ANZ until we are garunteed of getting a larger than 25k crowd there. Thankfully its looking like the AFL Swans and Giants agree and from next year we will be playing derbys at our own home grounds.

This stadium looks fantastic, the GWS are on a good thing.

Any chance they will play some cricket over the summer at the venue? domestic T20 or state one day games?

That would be a very good domestic ground for non internationals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This stadium looks fantastic, the GWS are on a good thing.

Any chance they will play some cricket over the summer at the venue? domestic T20 or state one day games?

That would be a very good domestic ground for non internationals.

Good idea but why would you play there when you have the beautiful SCG?

Good idea but why would you play there when you have the beautiful SCG?

Same reason they play games at North Sydney.

Cost, capacity and location.

But I had the same thought with the SCG, Stadium Australia & north Sydney all quality as good for cricket.

I don't think it's been considered as a cricket ground. But after being at ANZ last summer for the T20 with crowds of 5,000 for the Thunder games, it may be worth a try.
5,000 at Skoda yesterday, even with a one-sided game; the atmosphere wasn't too bad.

So how far away is this ground from the city and what is the transportation like getting there. I am going over to Sydney this weekend and was going to head to the game.

So how far away is this ground from the city and what is the transportation like getting there. I am going over to Sydney this weekend and was going to head to the game.
It's about 30mins from the city by train, you just head westbound and change at Lidcombe for the Olympic Park loop. Turn right out of Olympic Park station and you're about a 3 minute walk from Skoda.

If you've got a car, it's about 25mins from the city and you can park a similarly short distance from the stadium.

What is the best way to get to the stadium direct from the aiport?
Probably train I'm guessing? From airport to Central and then from there to Homebush. A lot cheaper than a taxi for a quicker trip all up. Homebush station is right next to the Showgrounds.

Was that really needed?

probably not. but he/she is from sydney so if you're going to give directions, you'd hope they're correct.

lazy Sydney nuffies in the media and general community who continue to perpetuate 'Homebush' as the location of the venue are to blame.

the joint was never Homebush. Homebush Bay, yes, but never Homebush. Different suburbs, different councils and different region of the metropolitan even.

and if a person did get off at homebush station for access to the ground, it'd take a 40 mins to walk to get there.

the suburb is Olympic Park. the sooner folks get accustomed to it and use it, the sooner confusion and poor directions can be eliminated. Afterall, it wasn't like it was yesterday that the joint had the name change. It was 15 years ago.

probably not. but he/she is from sydney so if you're going to give directions, you'd hope they're correct.

lazy Sydney nuffies in the media and general community who continue to perpetuate 'Homebush' as the location of the venue are to blame.

the joint was never Homebush. Homebush Bay, yes, but never Homebush. Different suburbs, different councils and different region of the metropolitan even.

and if a person did get off at homebush station for access to the ground, it'd take a 40 mins to walk to get there.

the suburb is Olympic Park. the sooner folks get accustomed to it and use it, the sooner confusion and poor directions can be eliminated. Afterall, it wasn't like it was yesterday that the joint had the name change. It was 15 years ago.

The station is olympic park, and yes it is what was once known as Homebush Bay but its a technicallity, it has been already stated to get off at Lidcombe and use the Olympic Park loop. Plus there is a s**t load of signs at Lidcombe station showing where the loop is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back