Sling tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford's was on Ellard.

The tackle was dangerous, and I don't think we'll see Ellard next week as he was clearly concussed. I'd say 2-3 weeks under the current system as while the act was negligent, the impact was high as was the contact

I'm torn on these ones..i love watching a perfectly executed tackle ....but we don't want to see blokes getting knocked out during games ..when the arms are pinned there is no way of protecting yourself...so i can see why the AFL want dangerous sling tackles rubbed out .

At the moment i think it's the luck of the draw ..if you perform a sling tackle and your opponent is un injured then you are fine...its when they hit their head on the ground that is the problem.

If the MRP was fair and consistent, all 3 should get weeks.

But this is chook lotto so my guess is:

Corey 2 weeks
Mummy 4 weeks (cos priors)
Kosi gets off

Your submissions please....

ROK better not go for that Murphy one, nothing in that.

That was a perfect Tackle and shouldn't even be talked about, but it will because the HEAD is sacrosanct, unless you use it to draw a "free kick" (Joel Selwood says hello).

Wow Joel even made it into this thread about sling tackles :thumbsu:

I saw a few Hawks players leading with their head yesterday, I imagine you didn't see that though....

That was a perfect Tackle and shouldn't even be talked about, but it will because the HEAD is sacrosanct, unless you use it to draw a "free kick" (Joel Selwood says hello).

agree that was a fair tackle Mumford didnt drive his head into the ground and Ive seen players hit their heads way harder all the time, even the umpires were surprised at Ellard being dazed and only then awarded a free, he must have a glass jaw so to speak the rules have gone mad if he gets suspended for that.

Watching big Mummy smash Ellard like he was 17 sausages was rather enjoyable. Big man crunches little man, isn't that a fundamental of a contact sport. We see it in rugby, NFL, ice hockey even soccer and basketball.

As a Melbourne supporter who put up with this Trengove crap I really hope he gets off (or at least the minimum because I expect he's gone already).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne fans this week...

deer_pop_corn_gif.gif

Wow Joel even made it into this thread about sling tackles :thumbsu:

I saw a few Hawks players leading with their head yesterday, I imagine you didn't see that though....

Because Joel leads with his head far too often and gets "free kicks" as a result. His opponents are unfairly punished IMO.

As to your second point, we don't get the "free kicks", your blokes do. We haven't perfected the art of cheating obviously. But we're trying to learn from the masters, just haven't quite perfected it at this stage.

If the MRP was fair and consistent, all 3 should get weeks.

But this is chook lotto so my guess is:

Corey 2 weeks
Mummy 4 weeks (cos priors)
Kosi gets off

Your submissions please....

ROK better not go for that Murphy one, nothing in that.

Agree. Three in one weekend isn't a good look so I'd expect them all to go - or none. But I reckon two weeks each as an example to everyone.

agree that was a fair tackle Mumford didnt drive his head into the ground and Ive seen players hit their heads way harder all the time, even the umpires were surprised at Ellard being dazed and only then awarded a free, he must have a glass jaw so to speak the rules have gone mad if he gets suspended for that.
On that topic, awarding retrospective free kicks due to an injury (the Ray Chamberlain from 100m away special) is a dangerous practice that is open to exploitation. Very poor umpiring. We are always told to not argue due to fact the umpires never change their mind, but this practice is in clear breach of that theory.

Haven't seen Mumford's but if its even close to the line, he'll get weeks, he got weeks last year for tackling Ablett which was pretty unlucky.

But theres no way that McEvoy's will be even looked at, Duncan had the ball the whole time!

Because Joel leads with his head far too often and gets "free kicks" as a result. His opponents are unfairly punished IMO.

As to your second point, we don't get the "free kicks", your blokes do. We haven't perfected the art of cheating obviously. But we're trying to learn from the masters, just haven't quite perfected it at this stage.

Take it to one of the 100 Hawthorn fans sooking about Geelong players threads.

This is a thread about sling tackles. Not sure how you manage to confuse the two really....so as a service to this thread can you hate on Joel somewhere more appropriate?

If they go i guess the new rule is you cannot take a player to ground anymore, honestly you get taught as a kid to tackle hard, pin the arms and take the player to ground, this "sling tackle" crap is just that, crap. Let them play and if in the course of a tackle a player hits their head on the ground bad luck.

Haven't seen Mumford's but if its even close to the line, he'll get weeks, he got weeks last year for tackling Ablett which was pretty unlucky.

But theres no way that McEvoy's will be even looked at, Duncan had the ball the whole time!

It was way softer than the Ablett one (no 'sling' at all) and that one wasnt deserved either, Im upset about this one even more.(although not even reported YET)

Take it to one of the 100 Hawthorn fans sooking about Geelong players threads.

This is a thread about sling tackles. Not sure how you manage to confuse the two really....so as a service to this thread can you hate on Joel somewhere more appropriate?

Read my first post again.

I was merely stating that a perfect Tackle is now Reportable, but you can effectively charge an opponent with your HEAD and somehow get rewarded for it, letalone putting yourself at great risk of permanent Injury.

Again, what does this have to do with sling tackles?

stupid statement ..he's a lightly built rover getting the full weight of a ruckman slamming his head into the ground ..i doubt you'd wake up by next Friday if the same happend to you :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back