West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Have a read of this article

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uruguay impress at home

From our wire services
23nov01

MONTEVIDEO: Uruguay rarely get beaten at home, and seldom let visitors score.

These are the most unpalatable facts facing the Socceroos in the World Cup decider here on Monday (Australian time).

Uruguay's home record in the South American qualifiers was exemplary – four wins, four draws and a solitary loss to Paraguay.

The Uruguayans scored 13 goals and conceded just six in those nine matches at Montevideo's Estadio Centenario, where they won the very first World Cup 71 years ago.

This is Uruguay's home record during the 2002 World Cup campaign:

Drew with Bolivia 1-1 (scorer Pablo Garcia)

Defeated Chile 2-1 (Dario Silva, Paolo Montero)

Defeated Venezuela 3-1 (Nicolas Olivera 2, Dario Rodriguez)

Drew with Peru 0-0

Defeated Ecuador 4-0 (Federico Magallanes, Silva, Olivera, Gabriel Cedres)

Lost to Paraguay 0-1

Defeated Brazil 1-0 (Magallanes penalty)

Drew with Colombia 1-1 (Magallanes penalty)

Drew with Argentina 1-1 (Silva)

Played 9, won 4, drew 4, lost 1, goals for 13, goals against six.

Those with suspicious minds should note the two penalties in the last three games were both awarded by European referees, one from Scotland the other from Italy.

Sunday's referee is from the United Arab Emirates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That article is both encouraging and demoralising. On the one hand it will be very hard to score, on the other hand they are unlikely to score either. It seems to be a low scoring country, which should work in Australias favour.

What are everyone's predictions?? I'm going for 0-0

The midfield is where we have to get on top. There defence is very solid. They were hard to break down at the MCG and it will be tough again in Montevideo. There attack is nothing to write home about but i think they will improve sharply with the addition of Nicolas Olivera for this game and with another game under the belt of Recoba. Surely Dario Silva can't be fit.

Uruguay's midfield looked a bit suspect to me. They had no penetration whatsoever if you take Recoba out of the equation. Can you remember any other player making a run? Obviously they won't sit back as much as they did on Tuesday but i do think there midfield is supect. If Okon and Skoko win 60% of the balls in midfield then i'm confident that Kewell and Emerton will give us enough opportunities to score.

It's time for Viduka to step up. He does a little to much work outside of the box if you ask me, he's almost too selfless. He's a big man and we need his presence in the area when Emerton and Kewell are crossing the ball in. Add Agostino to the equation and we do look capable of sneaking at least one goal.

This is the team that we MUST field:

-----------------------Schwarzer-------------------

--Muscat--------Moore-----Murphy-------Vidmar--

---------------------Skoko--Okon---------------------
--Emerton----------------------------------Kewell---

-----------------Agostino-------Viduka------------

My Prediction: Uruguay 1 - Australia 1

COME ON AUSSIES!

I think we have a pretty good chance, like i said in another post, Uruguay will have to play a more attacking game, because they HAVE to score, so that should leave more room for Farina's men to score!

My tip - Uruguay 2 - Australia 1

Australia through to the World Cup :D

They have usually let in a goal, as the results show. We score, were basically through. Oh god, please give us a goal!

I have a feeling that it will 0-0, and in the last 10 minutes we will play defensive (keepings on) and do a bad f*ck up which will lead to a Uruganian goal in the 83rd minute. (yes a choke a'la Iran)

What happens in extra time, i don't know.
Just a feeling...

Originally posted by NICK THE PIE MAN
They have usually let in a goal, as the results show. We score, were basically through. Oh god, please give us a goal!

I have a feeling that it will 0-0, and in the last 10 minutes we will play defensive (keepings on) and do a bad f*ck up which will lead to a Uruganian goal in the 83rd minute. (yes a choke a'la Iran)

What happens in extra time, i don't know.
Just a feeling...

I can understand that....im having the same feeling...im just trying to cover it up by looking optimistic :(

im thinking a 1 all draw....

Uruguay cant play as defencively as they did here and therefore our chances of scoring are gonna increase tenfold...

i just hope we score the first goal !!

To all my neighbours in the vicinity, I apologise for the screaming that will go on if Australia do not qualify. If you are the bearer of a 34cm TV, please don't sue :D

Australia 1- Uruguay 1

Uruguay 1 - 1 Australia

Agostino '49
Recoba '79

The Hitman

C'MON AUSSIE, C'MON, C'MON! :D

Aussies are better on the break plus play better away.

Uraguay need to pile on the pressure so OZ 2 - Ura gay 1 0r even 0

And a happy day on monday to us all

PS I understand most of the tickets for world cup 2002 are already sold

I heard yesterday that Kewell wants to play as a free roaming striker and has been bugging Farina about it. If Farina buckles in, the line-up could look something like this:

-----------------------Schwarzer-------------------

--Muscat--------Moore-----Murphy-------Vidmar--

---Emerton------------------------------Lazaridis----
---------------------Skoko--Okon---------------------

-------------------------Kewell-------------------------

----------------------Viduka---------------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

first half will be 0-0 which will make the ur gayns adopt a more attacking formation in the second half. this will create an opening for our harry to break free and slot home the goal that will send us to the world cup.

vidmar will score a late goal and the celebrations will begin, unfortunately i will have to drag my arse off to work for the day instead of partaking in the usual liquid celebrations that these occasions deserve. oh well my liver happy anyway.

Well this makes for some sorry reading.....I was the only one pessimistic enough to tip a Uruguay victory and Australia to miss out...sadly I was right. Even worse, despite telling Hitman and Chris I was going to unload on Uruguay at $2.40 to qualify....I never got round to it!!! :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

I read all of this thread and then got to the bottom and realised that it was four years ago!!! some things didn't sound right when I was reading but didn't think to look at the date.
I've lost alot of confidence now simply because we're saying the same things now as we were four years ago, "just get one away goal and we should make it" etc.

Refried Noodle said:
I read all of this thread and then got to the bottom and realised that it was four years ago!!! some things didn't sound right when I was reading but didn't think to look at the date.
I've lost alot of confidence now simply because we're saying the same things now as we were four years ago, "just get one away goal and we should make it" etc.
Yes but I still say that....Its just that this time they have to do it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back