Socceroos World Cup Qualifiers Socceroos V Bangladesh/Palestine

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yengi is massive.

Had to admire Bangladesh trying to go Ange-ball and play it out from the back at every opportunity. Never worked once in 90 minutes but fair play.

Presume Boyle was injured as not even on the bench? Absolutely no reason why Irankunda and Kuol, Robertson and the like can’t get significant minutes later in the group stage as we will walk through it.

Quite a bit, Socceroos & Matildas are the most popular national teams these days.

Plus easy enough to watch the Socceroos then switch over to the cricket.

I think you are overestimating the amount of *s the country gives about cricket outside of the Ashes.

Ratings are in for just the TV viewing (not including streaming).

First session of Cricket World Cup semi final where it rained for an hour of it:

9 Network: 592k
Fox Cricket: 210k

Second session of Cricket World Cup semi final which started at midnight:

9 Network: 290k
Fox Cricket: 123k

Socceroos v Bangladesh:

10 Network: 171k

I think you guys maybe over-rate the interest in the Socceroos outside a World Cup. I'll watch them whichever match they're playing but I'm very much in the minority. Australian football is mostly a bandwagon following (which is fine and normal).

Not to say ratings like that aren't understandable given the relative importance of the respective matches.

Ratings are in for just the TV viewing (not including streaming).

First session of Cricket World Cup semi final where it rained for an hour of it:

9 Network: 592k
Fox Cricket: 210k

Second session of Cricket World Cup semi final which started at midnight:

9 Network: 290k
Fox Cricket: 123k

Socceroos v Bangladesh:

10 Network: 171k

I think you guys maybe over-rate the interest in the Socceroos outside a World Cup. I'll watch them whichever match they're playing but I'm very much in the minority. Australian football is mostly a bandwagon following (which is fine and normal).

Not to say ratings like that aren't understandable given the relative importance of the respective matches.

If Australia was playing Bangladesh in the cricket there'd be next to no ratings. You can't compare Australia vs S Africa in a world cup semi final to Australia vs Bangaladesh ratings wise. Infact, 170k vs 290k compares very favorably considering how insignificant the World cup qualifier fixture was.

A more accurate comparison is the Australia vs Argentina ratings from December last year vs Australia vs South Africa last night ratings wise.

Australia vs Argentina in Round of 16 got ratings of 1.26m TV viewers + 448000 streaming. Despite being played at 6am in the morning:

That's a pretty comprehensive W to the Socceroos in terms of popularity vs the 290k for the Aus v S Africa World Cup semi staring in prime time.

If Australia was playing Bangladesh in the cricket there'd be next to no ratings. You can't compare Australia vs S Africa in a world cup semi final to Australia vs Bangaladesh ratings wise. Infact, 170k vs 290k compares very favorably considering how insignificant the World cup qualifier fixture was.

A more accurate comparison is the Australia vs Argentina ratings from December last year vs Australia vs South Africa last night ratings wise.
You've taken that comment wrong. It wasn't to say which sport is better or more popular or which of the two teams are more popular or whatever.

Simply the two comments quoted suggesting there would still be quite a bit of interest in the Socceroos v Bangladesh and little *s given about a cricket World Cup semi final probably wasn't correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've taken that comment wrong. It wasn't to say which sport is better or more popular or which of the two teams are more popular or whatever.

Simply the two comments quoted suggesting there would still be quite a bit of interest in the Socceroos v Bangladesh and little *s given about a cricket World Cup semi final probably wasn't correct.

Considering how s**t the opponent was the ratings were pretty good for a match that wasn't even a contest.

Australia vs Argentina in Round of 16 got ratings of 1.26m TV viewers + 448000 streaming. Despite being played at 6am in the morning:

That's a pretty comprehensive W to the Socceroos in terms of popularity vs the 290k for the Aus v S Africa World Cup semi staring in prime time.
You're not comparing the same figures here.

The 1.26 million is a linear figure meaning it includes a regional audience. The figures quoted by me above is from Oztam which is just the 5 cities considered metro. That figure for the Argentina game using the same metric is 964k.

If you wanted to compare that figure to the 2nd session figure of 413k viewers to say the Socceroos in a World Cup is way more popular then the cricket team in a World Cup that would make a lot more sense. I don't think a single person would disagree with that as the Socceroos in a World Cup are massive.

It doesn't have anything to do with the original question posed by NYRB about whether there would be interest in this particular match and whether that interest would be effected by the cricket on at the same time.

My take would be it may have taken maybe 30k viewers away but the interest in this match was always going to be relatively low which is completely understandable.

If Australia was playing Bangladesh in the cricket there'd be next to no ratings.
This happened 6 days ago and the average audience (9 + Fox) was 558k. It should absolutely not be used as a comparison to the Socceroos match to say which team is more popular, I just wanted to share the facts.

Was at the game last night. Australia definitely left some goals on the table with some poor finishing. The less said about Luongo's shite penalty the better. In fact, the less said about Luongo the better. Offers nothing going forward and simply ran around in circles last night, disrupting play and picking the worst options. Against a team as poor as Bangladesh, that was no mean feat. Cannot believe that he's back in the Socceroo set up (well, I can, because Arnold is a shite coach).

Mat Ryan was clearly bored the whole night because he pushed up the ground a lot to get touches. I can only recall Bangladesh "shooting" may be twice, and they were nowhere near the goals.

Liked Miller's game on the right side. Hard to judge how good he really is, given that Bangladesh were pretty terrible, but he liked to bomb down the right wing and get the ball into dangerous areas. Certainly worth giving a game or two against better credentialled teams.

Bos and Goodwin worked pretty well in the first half. Bos was clearly the left back while Goodwin was on the left of midfield, and when Goodwin was subbed off at half-time, Arnie did a good thing by having Bos move to left wing with Behich tucked in behind him. They were both pretty aggressive with how they went forward.

Not previously been all that impressed with Baccus when I've seen him play for the Socceroos, and while he'll face sterner tests, he was good last night in controlling the midfield. Copped the softest yellow card I've ever seen for a little tap on the Bangladeshi player in the second half.

Felt Irvine found it difficult to get into the game in the first 15 minutes or so, but worked his way into it as the first half went by and was his usual effective self.

Almost seemed like a Melbourne City reunion by the end of the game, with Maclaren, Metcalfe and O'Neill on the pitch at the same time by the end of the game.

With qualification now a bore I doubt we'll see big crowds and/or big high stakes qualifiers.

None of this stage's games should be played in Melb/Bris/Sydney. I'd like to see Palestine / Lebanon games played in Canberra, Perth or Adelaide.
Will save me a lot of cash if we get one in Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back