Something is on the nose...and it's Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Or they could have just miscalculated, without any attempted cover-up. Mistakes happen, some unforseen things happen, and so on.

Why does everyone instantly assume everything in the AFL is some organised crime style deception?

I'm not certain the cap cheating was actually on purpose. Just a bunch of very bad decisions that compounded over time and once the problem was found by AFL through an audit or some other process, Collingwood was forced to fix it by any means necessary.

White anting contracted players such as Treloar (and Stephenson to an extent) so they'd feel so unwelcome that a trade was the only plausible option was pretty shitty behaviour. Necessary, but very shitty.

Never been more ashamed of the club - well not the club itself; the muppets running the business.

Will not be handing over a cent until Eddie/Bucks walk out the door. Have a young cousin who knows Jaidyn well - not a fan of his treatment either.

He was told a few times that he needed to lift and change/fix couple things on and off the field. Can tell you he was genuinely excited to have an uninterrupted pre season and hoping for non hub footy next year AT COLLINGWOOD. He wanted to prove them wrong.

Well now I hope he kicks 6 against us. Really do.

If you say so...perhaps its because theyre not biased in their view.
Also, the “big four” clubs have alot more rusted on members than others but thats changing.
If you take the emotion outve it I can see alotve similarities between Trump and Mcguire in the way they tell theyre supporters what to think, people fall inline cause they know its his way or the highway.
Have an objective look at some of the big decisions since Mcguire landed the job.
Malthouse
Buckley moving on players and changing game game style. That team was capable of winning more flags.
Heath Shaw
Harry O
Balme

you could go on.

He’s strengthened the club in alotve ways but it hasnt brought about flags.
Have a look at the premiership tally for the last 80 yrs
Carlton have been ordinairy for 12-15 still dbled what you’ve won
Tigers didnt win a flag for 37, both those clubs have doubled what you have.
Its supporters and members who are happy with
“We are the biggest club” “We are the most successful club” that keep them.
And the thing is your not either of those two things, it’s just thats what you’ve been told to believe

Eh, I don't even take any notice of what Eddie McGuire says or does.

I open the News this morning and the first story is:-

Collingwood pins heartbreak on wife:- 'Adam Treloar was left “broken-hearted” by his exit from Collingwood, but the club says it only happened because of his wife'.

Wow.

The poor Club that is Collingwood. It is all her fault. Classy, blaming the wife. As if having a young family isn't stressful enough, the big machine that is Collingwood, is blaming the wife. I feel for Kim Ravaillion, imagine the terrible guilt she may be feeling because the Management of Collingwood blame her.

Of course it has nothing to do with Collingwood back-ending his Contract? And isn't it timely that Eddie removes himself from public radio. He knew it was coming and he didn't want the phones ringing off the hook with the public outrage of how they have treated Adam and his family.

Kim Ravaillion has only signed a 10 month Contract for the Firebirds Netball team - 10 months. This couple are a professional sports couple, they have always been. You don't think they would have discussed the whole scenario out. Which of course, is none of our business. In 10 months, this professional sports woman would be back in Melbourne.

In the end, surprises of all surprises, Adam Treloar is now going to be playing for Western Bulldogs, but don't look now, is a team based in Melbourne.

From all accounts Adam Treloar is heartbroken to leave the Club he loves but how could you possibly play for a Club that has treated you and your family so abominably.

Best of luck to you both, Adam Treloar and Kim Ravaillion in your chosen careers and I will be watching with great interest.

I also will be watching Dogs v Collingwood games. I know who I will be cheering for.

BrisGirl
Brisbane Lions Member 1996
I saw all that stuff too. I doubt his wife was the real issue, she goes to play top class national netball in QLD, of course they'll have a couple of issues to deal with.
With movement and travel, I'd suggest he and her would be doing a little flying between Capital cities?? 10 months is not a problem. Its their work their sport.
So it goes much deeper than Treloar! The club and other players, officials and administration are all mixed up in this?

People sometimes say things off the cuff, like over the telephone or in a vigorous discussion, no particular person to mention though ,but, that Bucks and Adam's phone call could have been a starter, and whether meant or not is a pretty stupid thing to happen, in the heat of discussion.

Personally, I think there is something really bad going on there. It feels like the Pies have some big problems with salary cap stuff, some very very high paid players, and some animosity, the list bloke on Foxfooty TV , what a disaster that interview was with King etc, talk about dodging questions.

But football-wise , they, I think have had some reason to take a loss player-wise and something is pretty wrong going on there.

To say Treloar or any other player was being targeted because of the Geelong flogging is absolute crap, they played their Grand Final the week they beat the Eagles.
Payback for the umpire mistake, in 2018 GF. Collingwood played their guts out!

One last point, once some mouthy journo gets hold of things what usually happens is things simply get worse and worse and blown out of all proportion, embarrass lots of people, make problems for others that are not involved, and the telephone reporter??? Who ever put it out would be something a decent individual would just leave alone, but no he kicked some careers in the balls!

REMEMBER we are talking about a sport here, this is not WW3, ITS FRIGGIN FOOTY. But that's the media?

To me this garbage is as low as the political media delve into the sewer, when reporting affairs, in parliament or business, same as Chnnal nine sacking or moving on the CEO, because of an affair inside the company and two politicians get hammered, one for doing nothing, the other!
Who cares? Look at Bob , you reckon he wasn't a rogue , its no ones business, and of course our aunty ABC picks out its political dislikes TO SHOW DIRT ABOUT?

To kick Collingwood seems somewhat the same as the political kicking sh*t.
They the media in sport or anything else, cause more problems than they ever fix, The ABC is as bad as any sport reporter with the sh*t they throw around!

White anting contracted players such as Treloar (and Stephenson to an extent) so they'd feel so unwelcome that a trade was the only plausible option was pretty shitty behaviour. Necessary, but very shitty.
I disagree. There were a few options:
1) Tell the players the truth about the salary cap. Essendon managed to move on players like Blumfield, Hardwick and Caracella for salary cap related reasons without trashing them. Same with Brisbane and Headland.
2) Not re-contract De Goey. The trade return for Treloar and Stephenson was so pathetic that they might as well have lost De Goey for nothing anyway, and gotten rid of someone who still hasn't re-signed.
3) Be upfront about the issue from the end of the season, not from the start of the trade period.

I must be one of the few who thinks the Collingwood trade week "disaster" has been grossly exaggerated. The Pies had salary cap issues after re-signing the likes of Grundy, Sidebottom, De Goey, Moore, Daicos, Adams, Maynard, Mihocek, Crisp, Quaynor, etc. They could no longer keep all of their underperforming overpaid players so they made the call to dump 3 of them. That's being proactive. It's boldly & pragmatically dealing with their issues rather than skirting around it and taking half-measures.

All the draft-obsessed geeks and angry Pie fans are laying into the club for not receiving adequate draft pick compensation, but that's the reality of 'fire sale' situations when people are forced to urgently sell off their assets. Maybe in a different climate, the Pies could've found a sucker club to give them a 1st and 2nd round pick for Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips. I personally doubt it. Part of the problem is those guys had signed sweet deals which guaranteed them silly money.

Why the huge kerfuffle over them not getting a couple of draft picks for those players? Who cares? The Pies have exceptional depth thanks to some pretty good recruiting over the journey. Over the past 3 seasons, they managed to finish 2nd/4th/6th despite having more injuries than anyone. So if any club has credits in the bank and can afford to take a few hits, then it's Collingwood.

Of course, there's also the human angle. Critics are laying into the Pies for their mistreatment of their contracted senior players.

1) Critics from outside the club should be ignored. There are always shiit-stirrers who put the boot into opposition clubs in these sorts of situations. Par for the course. It's just noise. The opinions of armchair critics are irrelevant. They aren't as informed as the Magpie braintrust and they're not as invested in making the right calls. They're mouthing off now, but they'll move onto their next target and they'll never be held to account for their ill-informed, short-sighted opinions.

Guys like Kane Cornes and Damian Barrett make a living from talking shiit about footy clubs and opposition fans always lap it up. They're just playing to their crowd. They are feeding the chickens. Strip away their mock-serious expressions and their faux-expertise and you're left with a pair of know-all trolls who make a shitload of money from their reactionary opinions. They're in the AFL entertainment business - they're not in the business of trying to win AFL premierships.

2) Pies fans who are angry over all of this need to chill. You demand success, but when the club makes coldly rational business decisions about their playing list, you moan about the lack of loyalty and the loss of team camaraderie. Footy is a business. Coaches and CEOs don't care about your emotional attachment to players. They want to win. And so do you. I remember the Hawks fans' angst when we kicked Trent Croad to the curb in 2001. But we got over it pretty quickly.

Like every trade week controversy, it's a storm in a teacup. If anything, it puts the remaining Collingwood players on notice they need to perform and not to get too complacent. By next February, this will be mostly forgotten within the four walls at the Lexus Centre. Everyone will be focused on Round 1 and united in doing everything they can to win the 2021 flag.

This past week was not the failure for Collingwood. It was simply their Day of Reckoning for past list-management errors. They've made some blunders. Which club hasn't? No club gets it's right 100% of the time. People act as though their club isn't going to whiff badly at this year's draft and pick some chump who plays 50 shiit games before being delisted.

Collingwood's 2 biggest mistakes:

Adam Treloar - trading two 1st round picks in 2015 and signing him to a crazy 6 year, $4.5 million deal. The guy is a flashy, overrated, high-possession ball butcher who has now been let go by two clubs. Buckley won't be losing any sleep over his departure. He'll just plug another younger player into their quality midfield.

Dayne Beams - trading two 1st round picks in 2018 and signing him to a crazy 4 year, $3 million deal. They got a couple of 3rd round picks in return which they used to move up to pick 13 and select Quaynor as an NGA Academy recruit. But it was pretty obvious to most people that Beams had personal issues and would be a risky proposition.

Other mistakes:

Jaidyn Stephenson - selected with pick 6 in the 2017 draft. Yep, he had a great debut season when he kicked 38 goals and won the Rising Star award. But he has done nothing since then. He hasn't progressed. All the 'experts' are stuck on his 2018 season and think he's gonna become a superstar. Buckley thinks otherwise. He doesn't seem to think Stephenson has the inner drive and workrate to become a topliner, so he's cut his losses and made him expendable. The ball is now in Jaidyn and North's court to prove Bucks wrong. But it's the pick 6 Buckley would like back. Not the player.

Tom Phillips - signing him to a big money contract extension last year. They have a glut of similar running players. With the benefit of hindsight, they should've traded him after 2018 when his trade value was sky high. But it's easy to make hindsight calls. Bottom line, they selected this bloke with pick 58 in 2015 and received pretty good service in his 5 years with them, but he's another ball butcher that Buckley won't lose any sleep over.

Chris Mayne - Pies overpaid for this free agent in 2016. He has been serviceable. He's a hard worker and a team player. But maybe that money could've been better spent elsewhere and saved them the need to reshuffle money with other player's backloaded contracts.

Daniel Wells - similar with Chris Mayne above. Pies overpaid for this injury prone player. He was probably worth a punt, but it didn't work out.

The Pies have made other blunders. e.g. trading pick 24 in 2017 for Sam Murray, or trading two 2nd round picks for James Aish in 2015
But for every bad decision they've made, you can also find 2 good decisions they've made.

- re-signing Darcy Moore when it looked as though he might be traded to Sydney
- trading pick 75 for Jordan Roughead in 2018
- selecting Brody Mihocek in the 2017 Rookie Draft
- selecting Josh Daicos under the father-son rule with pick 57 in 2016
- trading Paul Seedsman for Jeremy Howe in 2015
- getting Jack Crisp from the Lions as "steak knives" in the Beams trade
- using the pick 5 they got from the Lions to select Jordan De Goey
- selecting Maynard with pick 30 in 2014
etc... etc...

Last edited:
I'm not certain the cap cheating was actually on purpose. Just a bunch of very bad decisions that compounded over time and once the problem was found by AFL through an audit or some other process, Collingwood was forced to fix it by any means necessary.
How incompetent do you have to be to accidentally run over the cap? It's a pretty simple Excel document I would imagine.

I disagree. There were a few options:
1) Tell the players the truth about the salary cap. Essendon managed to move on players like Blumfield, Hardwick and Caracella for salary cap related reasons without trashing them. Same with Brisbane and Headland.
2) Not re-contract De Goey. The trade return for Treloar and Stephenson was so pathetic that they might as well have lost De Goey for nothing anyway, and gotten rid of someone who still hasn't re-signed.
3) Be upfront about the issue from the end of the season, not from the start of the trade period.

I agree with point 2, for sure. That would have solved some issues.

In regards to point 1, it's not as simple as shipping off contracted players to whoever will take them. The AFLPA has strongarmed the clubs over the years and the power is balanced way too far towards the player so therefore you need the player to agree to move, even if they're not overly happy to do. The way they treated Treloar was reprehensible but it was the only way to get him to agree to move.

If Collingwood just said to him 'hey, we've got cap trouble and we need to trade you', he would have no doubt told them (quite within his rights) to jam it and honour his 5 year contract (which he had already backended to help them out). Like Treloar himself said after the trade went down, Collingwood were saying anything to get him to leave.

On point 3, I truly believe the AFL caught them out violating the salary cap and forced them to make drastic moves to balance the books, but like all things, do it in a way that protects the AFL's 'integrity' so being upfront was out of the question.

I must be one of the few who thinks the Collingwood trade week "disaster" has been grossly exaggerated. The Pies had salary cap issues ...

No one on this board is denying that Collingwood have salary cap issues and yes, fire sales and moving players on is part of the rich tapestry that makes trade week but this post is about how the Collingwood machine went about it, remember... they blamed the wife

Instead of being honest and admitting they stuffed their cap, they blamed Adam’s wife and told him that his team mates don’t like him.

This is what this post is about, the disgusting way they handled it

Bullies blaming the wife

If Collingwood just said to him 'hey, we've got cap trouble and we need to trade you', he would have no doubt told them (quite within his rights) to jam it and honour his 5 year contract (which he had already backended to help them out). Like Treloar himself said after the trade went down, Collingwood were saying anything to get him to leave.
I disagree with this. Players like Scully have moved for salary cap issues recently. If you were to say to a guy like Treloar, "we've ****ed up and if we don't clear money off our books, Collingwood will be hit with Carlton-level salary cap penalties", I have no doubt he would move.

They probably could have also looked into things like speaking to Grundy about a move to South Australia, and backfilled with a cheaper ruckman like Hickey.

I agree with point 2, for sure. That would have solved some issues.

In regards to point 1, it's not as simple as shipping off contracted players to whoever will take them. The AFLPA has strongarmed the clubs over the years and the power is balanced way too far towards the player so therefore you need the player to agree to move, even if they're not overly happy to do. The way they treated Treloar was reprehensible but it was the only way to get him to agree to move.

So you're expecting that Treloar should have to potentially upend his life and go wherever Collingwood can get the best deal, because of Collingwoods incompetence in managing the salary cap?

The situation is nothing to do with the aflpa strongarming club's over player movement, but entirely an incompetent administration trying to force the consequences for their own negligence onto players who have done nothing wrong. That Collingwood got to the point of having to publicly trash his reputation and relationship with the club so that he would be so unhappy that he agreed to leave is disgraceful, and in the real world would be a lay down misere in court for wrongful dismissal and compensation payments.

So you're expecting that Treloar should have to potentially upend his life and go wherever Collingwood can get the best deal, because of Collingwoods incompetence in managing the salary cap?

The situation is nothing to do with the aflpa strongarming club's over player movement, but entirely an incompetent administration trying to force the consequences for their own negligence onto players who have done nothing wrong. That Collingwood got to the point of having to publicly trash his reputation and relationship with the club so that he would be so unhappy that he agreed to leave is disgraceful, and in the real world would be a lay down misere in court for wrongful dismissal and compensation payments.

What do we disagree on here exactly?

I said Collingwood's behaviour was reprehensible, I was just spitballing as to why they reached that point where they felt shitty behaviour was justified to fix the mess they'd created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh, I don't even take any notice of what Eddie McGuire says or does.

^^^this^^^
It's actually people who hate Collingwood that hang off his every word and are obsessed with him.
I haven't watched or listened to any of his shows for over 20 years and no interest in his opinions on anything.

How incompetent do you have to be to accidentally run over the cap? It's a pretty simple Excel document I would imagine.
They didn't expect to have to pay Moore and particularly Grundy so mauch, and their ego (particularly Eddie's) can't hack letting players go.

That and it sounds like they tried to keep the band together by offering performance clauses that if Cox is any indication, were so easy to achieve that handful of decent quarters of footy was enough to hit the triggers. Cox alone has cost them over 500k a year after somehow meeting his performance clauses playing just over half the games, kicking 14 goals and taking just 3 marks a game.

I disagree with this. Players like Scully have moved for salary cap issues recently. If you were to say to a guy like Treloar, "we've f’ed up and if we don't clear money off our books, Collingwood will be hit with Carlton-level salary cap penalties", I have no doubt he would move.

They probably could have also looked into things like speaking to Grundy about a move to South Australia, and backfilled with a cheaper ruckman like Hickey.

Well, Treloar might have moved if they went down that path, but they didn't for whatever reason (pressure to keep it quiet from AFL maybe?). I doubt he would have just accepted his lot though, especially given his love for playing at the club and the fact that he'd accommodated them by backending his contract already. I imagine his manager would have just told them to jam it. Hence the public character assassination that went down.

They didn't expect to have to pay Moore and particularly Grundy so mauch, and their ego (particularly Eddie's) can't hack letting players go.
This is closer to the truth I expect, but really this is point at which a series of stupid decisions added up around Wells, Mayne, Cox and Beams. Compounded by the fact that they then signed deals which they presumably knew would take them over the cap.

What do we disagree on here exactly?

I said Collingwood's behaviour was reprehensible, I was just spitballing as to why they reached that point where they felt shitty behaviour was justified to fix the mess they'd created.
You were blaming the aflpa strongarming the clubs for causing the frankly illegal actions of Collingwood to force Treloar to move, 1 year into a 5 year contract. I agree that players have too much power in demanding where they go when leaving, especially for 'homesickness', but forcing a player to leave because you can't afford the contract you agreed to a year earlier is an entirely different kettle if fish. For one they have uncontracted players that they could have let go.

No one on this board is denying that Collingwood have salary cap issues and yes, fire sales and moving players on is part of the rich tapestry that makes trade week but this post is about how the Collingwood machine went about it, remember... they blamed the wife

Instead of being honest and admitting they stuffed their cap, they blamed Adam’s wife and told him that his team mates don’t like him.

Bullies blaming the wife
yep, blame the wife, then go the 'nobody likes you here' angle, then get on Twitter and saying 'toughest day for me at the club'

Buckley is so two-faced.

Oh well, just hope he is held accountable eventually.

I've completely accepted it, can see the reasons for it, and how it can make us a better side in 2021.

I don't feel like I'm "owed an explanation", and there's not some collective group-think among the supporters, either. I'm an adult who is capable of forming my own opinions and conclusions.

I still don't get problem and puzzlement I have is with non-Collingwood media people and non-Collingwood fans so desperately wanting answers and some sort of admission of "guilt", and for the Pies to be "held to account" for their "crime". Like, why not just enjoy the Pies supposed "failure", or just be indifferent (if you're not directly affected), and move on? I know the tabloid AFL media has to fashion and survive on "scandal", but how does this negatively affect the average non-Collingwood supporter?
Think you are talking about the minority of fans there, if it were my club I’d be very angry at not just decisions made but the complete bs they have spewed out since. However as a Richmond supporter I am absolutely loving it, hopefully there is more to come.

You were blaming the aflpa strongarming the clubs for causing the frankly illegal actions of Collingwood to force Treloar to move, 1 year into a 5 year contract. I agree that players have too much power in demanding where they go when leaving, especially for 'homesickness', but forcing a player to leave because you can't afford the contract you agreed to a year earlier is an entirely different kettle if fish. For one they have uncontracted players that they could have let go.

I'm not blaming the AFLPA for Collingwood's shitty behaviour, but the truth is that players can't be moved on unless they agree to it (unlike the NBA for example, where players can be sent to somewhere like Minnesota overnight if the team agrees to take on the contract). The AFL just doesn't work like that.

Collingwood targeted Treloar's contract as one they wanted to jettison (rightly or wrongly) and because they couldn't just 'sell him off' without his agreement, they played dirty to coerce that agreement out of him.

It was shady, shitty behaviour but how else do you get a player to agree to move from a club that he loves playing for? You make him feel like it's so hostile and untenable, he feels like he can't go back.

I'm not excusing the behaviour, just explaining why it might have happened the way it did.

Think you are talking about the minority of fans there, if it were my club I’d be very angry at not just decisions made but the complete bs they have spewed out since. However as a Richmond supporter I am absolutely loving it, hopefully there is more to come.
I feel sorry for the fans, but honestly...

Back when I was growing up in the 90s, all you'd hear would be pissing contests between Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton as to who was the Biggest and Bestest Club in the Whole Wide World. Put it this way - I've enjoyed the last 20 years.

Bullies blaming the wife
Okay. Apologies for not reading your OP and missing the gist of your thread. To be honest, I don't care about all the melodrama. I'm a footy fan. My opinions are based on football side of things. I tend to avoid reading too much into all the soap opera aspects of trade week. Really, it's just the media blowing things out of proportion because it makes good copy. People love to read this stuff and be outraged at other clubs.

You're ranting about the Collingwood bullies and how disgusted you are with the way they've handled it. But what exactly are we talking about here? All I can see here is Collingwood's list manager Ned Guy saying too much in an interview and making ill-advised comments when pressed about how the Treloar trade talks got started. He should've just said nothing. He needs media training.

But I think you're overreacting a bit to talk about the "Collingwood Machine" and label the club as "bullies"

It's ONE guy (pardon the pun) who put his foot in it. Eddie McGuire is probably kicking his arse as we speak. Looks to me like Collingwood is ducking for cover... trying to pour cold water on everything and put out the flames from their "fire sale". They look bad enough as it is. They don't want petrol being poured on the flames.

If you read the comments from Ned Guy about Treloar and ignore the media's inflammatory take on it, there was nothing said about Treloar's wife instigating this. He was putting it on Treloar.

“We had some conversations with Adam and his manager originally around whether his family was going to move to Queensland and whether he wanted to do that and it evolved from having that conversation to he thought he’d look at another opportunity,” Asked directly if Collingwood would have looked to trade Treloar if Ravaillion had chosen to continue her career in Victoria, Guy said: “That was the catalyst for the discussion. We wouldn’t have looked to have that discussion … it wouldn’t have evolved from that, I wouldn’t have thought, no.”

Ned Guy is trying to imply that Treloar told them he was thinking of moving to Queensland and requesting a trade.
It's probably bullshiit. Sounds more like the Pies were hinting to Treloar he might like to be traded to the Lions & move to Queensland.

But he wasn't blaming the wife. I think he just got tripped up by the line of questioning and he said too much. Put his foot in it.

The media are experts at setting traps and making doofuses say the wrong thing under persistent interrogation.
They are also experts at pushing their audience's "outrage" buttons. That's what sells. They feed on people's anger.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the fans, but honestly...

Back when I was growing up in the 90s, all you'd hear would be pissing contests between Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton as to who was the Biggest and Bestest Club in the Whole Wide World. Put it this way - I've enjoyed the last 20 years.
Collingwood and Carlton are 2 sets of supporters I cannot have a shred of sympathy for. I think I enjoyed watching the pies lose that GF to west coast almost as much as I enjoyed seeing us win ours. I wish them years of misery:)

Okay. Apologies for not reading your OP and missing the gist of your thread. To be honest, I don't care about all the melodrama. I'm a footy fan. My opinions are based on football side of things. I tend to avoid reading too much into all the soap opera aspects of AFL footy and trade week. Really, it's just the media blowing things out of proportion because it makes good copy. People love to read and discuss this stuff and be outraged.

You're ranting about the Collingwood bullies and how disgusted you are with the way they've handled it. But what exactly are we talking about here? All I can see here is Collingwood's list manager Ned Guy saying too much in an interview and making ill-advised comments when pressed about how the Treloar trade talks got started. He should've just said nothing. He needs media training.

But I think you're overreacting a bit to talk about the "Collingwood Machine" and label the club as "bullies"

It's ONE guy (pardon the pun) who put his foot in it. Eddie McGuire is probably kicking his arse as we speak. Looks to me like Collingwood is trying to pour cold water on everything and put the flames from their "fire sale". They look bad enough as it is. They don't want petrol being poured on the flames.

If you read the comments from Ned Guy about Treloar and ignore the media's inflammatory take on it, there was nothing said about Treloar's wife instigating this. He was putting it on Treloar.

“We had some conversations with Adam and his manager originally around whether his family was going to move to Queensland and whether he wanted to do that and it evolved from having that conversation to he thought he’d look at another opportunity,” Asked directly if Collingwood would have looked to trade Treloar if Ravaillion had chosen to continue her career in Victoria, Guy said: “That was the catalyst for the discussion. We wouldn’t have looked to have that discussion … it wouldn’t have evolved from that, I wouldn’t have thought, no.”

Ned Guy is trying to imply that Treloar told them he was thinking of moving to Queensland and requesting a trade.
It's probably bullshiit. Sounds more like the Pies were hinting to Treloar he might like to be traded to the Lions & move Queensland.

But he wasn't blaming the wife. I think he just got tripped up by the line of questioning and he said too much. Put his foot in it.

The media are experts at setting traps and making people say the wrong thing

I think you need to stop allowing the media to push your "outrage" buttons. They feed on your anger.

Bit more to it than that. Collingwood had been playing the media game against Treloar for a couple of weeks, and Bucks went so far as to tell him his mates wanted him to leave etc. With Stephenson they didn't even tell him he was on the trade table in his exit interview. His manager called him a week before the trade period and told him he suspected they were trying to trade him. A week later, having heard nothing from anyone at the club, Stephenson called Bucks up who told him it was true, and in part because 'he hadn't opened up enough' to the group.

Collingwood treated both of them poorly. If they had just told them that the cap was ****ed and they thought their two contracts had the biggest gap between expectation and reality and thus they needed to let them go, then people (and I imagine the two players in question) would have been much more understanding. Them just coming out after the trade period and shitting on both players a bit more (the unnecessary article about Treloar and his partner, and then Geoff Walsh swinging back at Stephenson and misconstruing what he said) and then doubling down on denying they had cap issues is just the cherry on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back