Increasing cost of travel and its effect on Fremantle and West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

This doesn’t make any sense. The cost of housing in WA is significantly cheaper than the east coast which more than makes up for increased ‘travel costs’.

Yes Wa teams need to a have a 5-10% extra in soft and salary cap.
Why would anyone chose a job that they’re away from family and on the road heaps more for the same pay??
I wouldn’t.

This is what happened when they brought in these rules on soft cap on the direction of eddy in 2007 when vfl investigated why vfl teams weren’t winning every flag like the wanted.
Pies travel once to each footy capital city.
Freo travel across the country every second week.
Pies can get staff and players under the guise it’s a great club but the reality is it has the best working conditions for the pay rate.

I agree with this. At the same time , if your dream is to play football , wouldnt you not care where it is.

I don't think its necessarily a bad idea though to increase a cap to offset players going to interstate clubs. Aslong as all the extra cap isnt going into one player and going into the rookies also. Again im not too well caught up on what sydney use to have as cola

I agree with this. At the same time , if your dream is to play football , wouldnt you not care where it is.

I don't think it’s necessarily a bad idea though to increase a cap to offset players going to interstate clubs. Aslong as all the extra cap isnt going into one player and going into the rookies also. Again im not too well caught up on what sydney use to have as cola
It’s more the good coaching staff that aren’t paid the big bucks.
It’s also generally not the lad that dreamed to play afl making the decision but the wife or mother advising an outcome that betters a families life quality.

The world we live in today is not like 30+ years ago where the man makes all decisions it’s now a partnership

Most of freos out trades happened because of what’s best for partners/ families.
If there was a bigger cash incentive maybe those decisions would even out.
Eagles have had better retention because of the reach of their club in WA
there is a lot more out of footy, post footy opportunities ( money/ future employment to secure a family)
Which balances the decision.

Last edited:
Maybe give players/coaches an allowance per time they travel(outside the salary cap) and give the WA clubs charter planes to minimise the impact of travel.
Would be so simple to help alleviate the impact of the travel but the AFL doesnt seem interested.

One thing not brought up here, is that both WCE & Freo clearly have the ability to pay over the soft cap & pay the “tax” associated.

Until we hear either club saying they have to do so in order to find coaching talent, it’s unnecessary discussion.

Can someone provide an example of an assistant coach saying no to WCE or Freo because they didn’t offer enough money for them to be able to afford to fly to the east coast on the wage they offered?

There will always be inequality in assistant coaches, because for the vast majority it’s a career path, so they will go to work under senior coaches & at clubs that they believe will give them progression. As of right now, that’s not at WCE, because of the position they find themselves on the field & it’s not Fremantle either (may have been under RTB, but not now). No extra soft cap spaces changes that reality

Would love to hear your explanation of how Israel/Palestine has affected the price of travelling from Perth to Melbourne

Possibly the correlation of another potential and lengthy middle eastern conflict could see the price of petrol/fuel sky-rocket, like it did globally when the first Gulf War happened.

One thing not brought up here, is that both WCE & Freo clearly have the ability to pay over the soft cap & pay the “tax” associated.

Until we hear either club saying they have to do so in order to find coaching talent, it’s unnecessary discussion.

Can someone provide an example of an assistant coach saying no to WCE or Freo because they didn’t offer enough money for them to be able to afford to fly to the east coast on the wage they offered?

There will always be inequality in assistant coaches, because for the vast majority it’s a career path, so they will go to work under senior coaches & at clubs that they believe will give them progression. As of right now, that’s not at WCE, because of the position they find themselves on the field & it’s not Fremantle either (may have been under RTB, but not now). No extra soft cap spaces changes that reality

In the past WCE and Fremantle both have had "Senior assistants" getting paid more than most coaches over east (aside from the big clubs obviously). Mark Harvey when he was a senior assistant was on like 800k a year iirc. And obviously Ross Lyon was the highest paid coach in the AFL from 2013-2017 ish. I believe it was similar for WCE with some of their coaching staff like Mitchell etc.

I dont' believe they do this any more, both clubs have been plowing money into facilities as opposed to paying staff more due to the soft cap.

We have lost coaches like Josh Carr due to money i believe. So its definitely having an impact.

Freo don’t have the luxury of paying up to 200% of spending on tax.
Eagles can, maybe that’s why their the only non vic club to win a flag in the last 10years.

With cost of living through the roof.. thanks to things such as the Ukraine-Russia conflict, and the Israel-Palestine conflict... there is no doubt Fremantle and West Coast are being hit hardest. Look at the ongoing player exodus at Fremantle and the current rabble status of West Coast, along with the difficulty these clubs are having when it comes to attracting quality coaching staff.

With salary caps and soft caps in place.. and given how expensive everything is becoming... why would players and coaches want to live and work in Western Australia, when they can live and work on the East Coast for the same amount of money?? Not to mention being close to their family and friends. These days, if you live in Perth.. it's cheaper to travel to South East Asia than it is to travel to the East Coast of Australia!

Would a Cost of Living Allowance for Fremantle and West Coast help solve this problem? Not just for players, but for coaches too!
Hahahahaha

Would love to hear your explanation of how Israel/Palestine has affected the price of travelling from Perth to Melbourne

I know it's intended as a joke, but conflict in the Middle East actually does have significant effects on the price of petrol and fuel and causes air fares to increase, amongst other things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe give players/coaches an allowance per time they travel(outside the salary cap) and give the WA clubs charter planes to minimise the impact of travel.
Would be so simple to help alleviate the impact of the travel but the AFL doesnt seem interested.
Surely Collingwood officials deserve the same, they have to travel interstate five times per year. The afl makes them travel to Marvel on the odd occasion too.

They get payed enough as it is.

What about other people that have s**t jobs should they get more to travel?

Should people that live in Adelaide get payed more so they can escape more?

Housing is cheaper in Perth than over here in the Evil East.

Coffee however costs more in Perth and it is bad.
Are you telling me that housing is cheaper in Perth compared to Melbourne? Shock to me.

I don't care about the price of coffee ☕. Hell.... I don't care about the price of tea 🍵 In China or Port Adelaide or Dandenong lol

Adelaide is cheaper than both of them. There is 1.6 million living in SA too.

I assumed , Canberra, Darwin and Hobart is more expensive because of a lower population.

I manage to visit my in-laws over there once a year. Where’s my COLA ya clown
So back in the day, Sydney Swans got an extra 10 percent in the salary cap due to everything being 10 percent more expensive.

So if the dole 10 years ago was $500 a fortnight, does that mean that unemployed people in NSW get and extra 10 percent or $550 a fortnight?

Are you telling me that housing is cheaper in Perth compared to Melbourne? Shock to me.

I don't care about the price of coffee ☕. Hell.... I don't care about the price of tea 🍵 In China or Port Adelaide or Dandenong lol

Adelaide is cheaper than both of them. There is 1.6 million living in SA too.

I assumed , Canberra, Darwin and Hobart is more expensive because of a lower population.

Yeah that's the problem with a COLA system, you would have to reduce salaries in some states, assuming Melbourne was the benchmark.

Yeah that's the problem with a COLA system, you would have to reduce salaries in some states, assuming Melbourne was the benchmark.

COLA was never about what the name implied, it was purely to attract and retain players in rugby states that the AFL wanted to expand into. It wouldn't matter if Perth or Adelaide suddenly had a 300% increase in median rent.

Funny thing About Victoria though... 9 teams based in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong.

The cats have been a conisistent finals participant compared to the other 9 vic clubs in the last 20-25 years.

If last years salary cap was 13 million or exactly $250,000 a week, Geelong might have advantages of getting certain players to live in cheaper housing areas like Geelong or Torquay. a fair amount of players are on $10,000 a week or $520,000 a year or $12,500 a week or $650,000 a year.

COLA was never about what the name implied, it was purely to attract and retain players in rugby states that the AFL wanted to expand into. It wouldn't matter if Perth or Adelaide suddenly had a 300% increase in median rent.
Yeah that explains why Brisbane were good at retaining their core from 1999-2004,

Sure they lost Des Headland in 2002 but filled his spot with Blake Caracella.

It’d be more expensive for Isaac Cumming to fly home than to fly Perth to Sydney. What a load of wank.

Funny thing About Victoria though... 9 teams based in Melbourne and 1 in Geelong.

The cats have been a conisistent finals participant compared to the other 9 vic clubs in the last 20-25 years.

If last years salary cap was 13 million or exactly $250,000 a week, Geelong might have advantages of getting certain players to live in cheaper housing areas like Geelong or Torquay. a fair amount of players are on $10,000 a week or $520,000 a year or $12,500 a week or $650,000 a year.

Yes Geelong do have an advantage in that respect. Two fold because they can also offer the opportunity for semi rural living and a lot of footballers are from the country.

However prior to the last 25 years Geelong was not a desirable destination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back