sport 927 this morning

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
Anyone catch the interview with Tim Harrington? Reading between the lines Wells, Watson and Rawlings are definite starters for Saturday. Said Wells was exciting, didn't dominate but was just special when he got it, and that watson and Rawlings were two who had really stood out in the preseason and were rewady to take the next step.

It will be hard to find room for everybody. I must admit that I didn't have Rawlings and Wells in my 24 for Saturday.

If both of them play, that would have to rule out Harding, Robbins and maybe even someone like Shannon Motlop.

Here is how I would see the team should Harris, Wells and Rawlings all play:

FB. Archer Watt S Motlop
HB Baird Brown D Motlop
C Sinclair Harris M Stevens
HF Grant Morrell Jones
FF Petrie Rocca Harvey
R. Porter Simpson A Stevens
Int. Makepeace, Rawlings, Wells, King, Watson, Teague

Emg. Smith, Harding, Hale, Clayton

Yeah i heard Harrington's interview.

As usual the main focus was Wells, and Harrington was pretty open when he said they were wrapt with him so far and that he was "outstanding" the other day, but mainly because everything he does looks so good, so he doesnt really have to do alot for him to "stand out". The reason i say he was open is because it seems so far the "company line" so to speak has been to down play his performances as much as possible and deflect attention away.

But yeah, he also wrapt up Rawlings and Watson as 2 who has really improved and to watch for as well as the "mercurial" Daniel Motlop, who he described as being one of our most versatile options because of his height and agility.

Strangely didnt mention Harris, but it was KB he was talking to, so he could have said "And yeah, Peter Jonas played well the other day" and KB would have agreed and asked another dumb and obvious question. :rolleyes:

Fair dinkum, as much as i just lap up any footy stuff on the TV and radio at this time of year (and pretty much 365 days a year!!), the pre-season is so mind-numbingly repetitive when it comes to media interviews etc and is almost formulated.

"Yeah so-and-so looks great", "Yeah so-and-so looks to be ready to take the next step", "Yeah so-and-so has settled in really well" and so on and on.

Mind you, i'll take this pre-season over last year's!! :( :rolleyes:

But like everyone, i just cant wait till that ball is bounced at 2.40pm on Saturday and the talking stops and the playing starts!!

5 more sleeps!! :cool:

Shannon Grant might not play - maybe a precaution for his ankle from Friday. This is only a guess.

Originally posted by vlad76
It will be hard to find room for everybody. I must admit that I didn't have Rawlings and Wells in my 24 for Saturday.

If both of them play, that would have to rule out Harding, Robbins and maybe even someone like Shannon Motlop.

Here is how I would see the team should Harris, Wells and Rawlings all play:

FB. Archer Watt S Motlop
HB Baird Brown D Motlop
C Sinclair Harris M Stevens
HF Grant Morrell Jones
FF Petrie Rocca Harvey
R. Porter Simpson A Stevens
Int. Makepeace, Rawlings, Wells, King, Watson, Teague

Emg. Smith, Harding, Hale, Clayton

Doubts on Rocca to play.....
S Motlop and Watt will also probably miss out

Originally posted by Royal Blue And White
Doubts on Rocca to play.....
S Motlop and Watt will also probably miss out
Agree on Rocca only because of lack of touch and fitness, although Laidley might see this as a great opportunity to speed that up for him and still play him.

But i will bet anything that both Watt and S.Motlop play this Saturday. It is blatantly clear that JYD has given Watt first crack at the vacant FB role. And his comments since he took over along the lines of "we've got guys on our list who have been here for 3 and 4 years and are low on confidence and havent seen much footy. Its my job to get as much footy into them ASAP..." kinda makes me think Watt and Motlop are amongst those.

And i know for a fact that Laidley rates S.Motlop's skills and ability highly and has given him every indication that he will see lots of football as long as he wants it badly enough.

i dont see how robbins is gunna be left out of the side last year apart from simmo he was one of our best midfielders he actually is one of the players at north that goes in and gets the footy where as u look at grant or some one like that type of player who scouts the packs waiting for an easy ball.in my mind he will play midfield this year.
heres my side for the wizzer.
B: Archer Watt S.Motlop
HB: Sinclair Brown Teague
C: D.Motlop Harris M.Stevens
HF: A.Stevens Morrell Jones
F: Petrie Rocca Harvey
Ru: Porter Robbins Simpson
Int: Makepeace Wells Watson King Baird Rawlings

I can see King having a great year. I know he has been written off a bit but I am a fan. He had an average 2002 - but with a new coach I think he is going to get a new lease of life and be a great player for the club this year. I would put him in the half forward line and let him have a free go - He coud be great! He was great on Friday!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back