Games & Recreation Sporting conspiracies

Remove this Banner Ad

No it doesn't. There's a difference between conspiracies and people just thinking teams get decisions their way.
7339ce89fb751ad3b22d931aea23eee8.jpg

No idea if its true but I remember reading a AMA a few years ago about a retired junior tennis player, where he said Rafa took an entire year off when they were younger citing it as PED use.

See, I just can't buy into any of this.

The NBA was (and still is) riding Curry and GSW hard publicity wise. If you look at the NBA's youtube channel you'll see how over the top they can get ("here's Steph pretending to play football before the game with teammates" type of videos get posted every couple of weeks. Seriously). If anything, it's like they're pretending that last season didn't end the way it did, and still treat the Warriors as their #1 team.

In Curry they have more of an every man's type superstar: relatively short and skinny, not super athletic, gets his work done by way of pure skill unlike someone like LeBron, who is maybe the most physically gifted athlete ever. Throw in his good boy image and Curry has probably gone past everyone as the face of the league.

The Cavs winning last year meant that one small city was elated and LeBron's rep probably got a little bit of a clean up. The Warriors winning would've meant that the league could promote them as the greatest team of all time, and Curry as having had maybe the most amazing season of all time. If the NBA actually did go out of their way to have the Cavs win, it was a terrible business move.

Spot on. The Warriors, in my humble opinion, are the most popular team in the league since Jordan's Bulls. Twelve months ago, I'd say LeBron James was going to go down as one of the most underappreciated superstars in the history of the league. And while he's by far the best shooter to ever play the game and one of the most electric players ever to watch when he's on, it was truly laughable that Curry was voted the unanimous MVP. At the end of the day, if you swapped Curry last year with any of the other five top players in the game, I'd say they wouldn't be any better or worse and I'd argue that with LeBron, they would have been better. Same goes for any of the last Finals MVPs, besides LeBron. Swap Iguodala in the 2015 Finals with LeBron and the Warriors sweep the series by 20+ points every game. Swap Kawhi Leonard for LeBron and the same thing happens. There's just no way you should be a unanimous MVP if there is any debate whatsoever that you are the best player in the league.

The LeBron James narrative from last season has become much better in retrospect. No-one really gave a toss about him this time last year. He was even, hilariously, being looked at as a perennial loser.

Spot on. The Warriors, in my humble opinion, are the most popular team in the league since Jordan's Bulls. Twelve months ago, I'd say LeBron James was going to go down as one of the most underappreciated superstars in the history of the league. And while he's by far the best shooter to ever play the game and one of the most electric players ever to watch when he's on, it was truly laughable that Curry was voted the unanimous MVP. At the end of the day, if you swapped Curry last year with any of the other five top players in the game, I'd say they wouldn't be any better or worse and I'd argue that with LeBron, they would have been better. Same goes for any of the last Finals MVPs, besides LeBron. Swap Iguodala in the 2015 Finals with LeBron and the Warriors sweep the series by 20+ points every game. Swap Kawhi Leonard for LeBron and the same thing happens. There's just no way you should be a unanimous MVP if there is any debate whatsoever that you are the best player in the league.

The LeBron James narrative from last season has become much better in retrospect. No-one really gave a toss about him this time last year. He was even, hilariously, being looked at as a perennial loser.
It wasn't laughable at all that he was unanimous MVP. It was laughable that he was the first one though. MJ and LeBron definitely deserved to be in the past at least once. Curry was the best player last regular season by a mile.

The NBA was always going to suspend Draymond. It's always been obvious with the NBA in the playoffs though that they don't want to ruin the spectacle. What made the whole thing a joke was that Draymond clearly deserved a suspension before the finals but the NBA neglected to act. In my opinion they knew rubbing out Draymond for a game against the Thunder spelled doom for the Warriors. Then in the finals they've got this really uncompetitive series and Draymond plays up again. Perfect timing to rub him out and make the series interesting again.

It wasn't laughable at all that he was unanimous MVP. It was laughable that he was the first one though. MJ and LeBron definitely deserved to be in the past at least once. Curry was the best player last regular season by a mile.

The NBA was always going to suspend Draymond. It's always been obvious with the NBA in the playoffs though that they don't want to ruin the spectacle. What made the whole thing a joke was that Draymond clearly deserved a suspension before the finals but the NBA neglected to act. In my opinion they knew rubbing out Draymond for a game against the Thunder spelled doom for the Warriors. Then in the finals they've got this really uncompetitive series and Draymond plays up again. Perfect timing to rub him out and make the series interesting again.

Like I said, I don't think you should be a unanimous MVP if there's even the slightest question whether you're the best player in the league. And, as much fun as he is to watch, I've never thought that Steph Curry is the best player in the league. I think the Warriors would have been a better team last year if LeBron was playing for them instead of Curry so, sorry, I'll never agree that Curry should have been the unanimous MVP.

As for Jordan's foray into baseball and his dad's death being some sort of hit associated with a gambling debt, I think the identity of his killers sort of puts paid to that theory. Local hoods who were doing the 1993 equivalent of putting evidence of their crime on social media. They weren't professionals; they were opportunists who saw what looked like an easy score and inadvertently became world news by making an especially bad choice of victim.

Michael Jordan was left questioning whether the fame and fortune was worth it, after seeing his father (who was also his closest confidante) murdered because of a decision to pull over for a nap in his luxury car, so he decided to walk away from it all. Then he changed his mind about 18 months later. That's all there was to it, as far as I'm concerned.

Curry's points tallies for the finals:

11 (W)
18 (W)
19 (L)
38 (W)
25 (L)
30 (L)
17 (L)

Average 22.5 after averaging 30 for the season. He's a prolific scorer but very hot and cold. He and Thompson went 3/22 the other day against Chicago. If they're both off it brings them right back to the field, especially with Durant out who is a more consistent scorer. I mean in that game they still combined for 36 points but it took 49 shots which is a lot of potential turnovers.

He's the best shooter of all time by far, but he's still limited, because he can only really dominate a game with his shooting. And if you're a long range shooter, I don't care how great you are, you'll still have your share of nights where the ball doesn't go in the hole. Hence, he's far more likely to have a poor game on any given night than someone like James, who can dominate at either end and get a triple double, pretty much anytime he wants.

Mick Malthouse knew his fate was sealed at the end of 2014 so he did everything he could without making it blatantly obvious to make Carlton as s**t as he possibly could for the long-term with terrible list management decisions. Nothing they did made sense that year.

It'd be an interesting story if true, but his tenure at the club pretty much proved how senile and out-of-touch he was getting with football, and just his general awareness of what was going on. His press conferences were very nonsensical, and he was pretty rabid in a couple of them.

I think it was pretty clear at the end of 2014 if he didn't make the finals in 2015, he'd be gone, so he began concocting all these strange trades. He then disrupted the list by directly getting rid of players or polarising the remaining squad, so by the end of '15 the club was in shambles - again. Plus all the OTT hyperbole: Carlton not losing a game, Liam Jones 'explosive animal' etc, clutching at the straws.

I can't recall a recent coach having that much influence insofar as being able to create and override trading decisions and dismiss players he personally didn't like for lowly draft picks. After that debacle, there was a much more concerted effort to segregate key areas of responsibility.

So yeh, would've been a good one, but more-or-less showed how appallingly run the club was during that period.

Like I said, I don't think you should be a unanimous MVP if there's even the slightest question whether you're the best player in the league. And, as much fun as he is to watch, I've never thought that Steph Curry is the best player in the league. I think the Warriors would have been a better team last year if LeBron was playing for them instead of Curry so, sorry, I'll never agree that Curry should have been the unanimous MVP.

As for Jordan's foray into baseball and his dad's death being some sort of hit associated with a gambling debt, I think the identity of his killers sort of puts paid to that theory. Local hoods who were doing the 1993 equivalent of putting evidence of their crime on social media. They weren't professionals; they were opportunists who saw what looked like an easy score and inadvertently became world news by making an especially bad choice of victim.

Michael Jordan was left questioning whether the fame and fortune was worth it, after seeing his father (who was also his closest confidante) murdered because of a decision to pull over for a nap in his luxury car, so he decided to walk away from it all. Then he changed his mind about 18 months later. That's all there was to it, as far as I'm concerned.
The MVP award has never really related to being the best player in the league. If it was you would literally only have seen the likes of Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Bird, MJ, Shaq and LeBron win it year after year. MJ would have about 10, LeBron about the same.

It has always related to how good of a season you've had and how your team has gone. The Warriors broke a record previously seen as untouchable while Curry had an all-time great season and the Warriors were a lot worse without him on the court. That's very good criteria for unanimously being the most valuable player that season.

Just look at this season and the top 2 candidates. I wouldn't have Westbrook nor Harden near being the best player in the league, but them with Leonard have been most valuable this season.

Last year people kind of just forgot about LeBron because of how quiet his season was. Curry was all over the news instead. It really did set a perfect stage for LeBron and the league post game 4 of the finals. I don't think it's totally unreasonable to think the league wanted 7 games. The series before game 5 was shocking. None of the tense battles from the year before, and the Cavs being healthy hadn't changed much. The reffing in game 6 was pretty horrific too. Curry was the only one doing anything offensively for Golden State and the Cavs were getting all sorts of shitty calls go their way against Curry, resulting in his ejection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Marsh being sent home due to ................injury

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitc...-lehmann-maxwell-khawaja-henriques/2017-03-08

"Mitchell has been playing with a shoulder injury for most of the summer, which we have been managing up until now, but unfortunately it has progressively deteriorated to a point where he is unable to function at the level required," said team physiotherapist David Beakley.

Marsh scored 48 runs in four innings and bowled just five overs – all in Bengaluru – in the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series

One time. But it wasn't uncommon to fight more than once. Ali fought Frazer 3 times and Norton 3 times as well. I suspect if Ali gave Foreman another chance. Foreman would've learnt what his mistake were and absolutely ******* smashed Ali.

I think Foreman conceded he lost a lot of confidence in himself after that fight, wasn't the same fighter.
Not sure he was up for a rematch of offered.

I think Foreman conceded he lost a lot of confidence in himself after that fight, wasn't the same fighter.
Not sure he was up for a rematch of offered.
I've heard him talk about that as well. But he still kept fighting, and winning, for a number of years after. Giving up after losing for a second time. So it's odd that there wasn't another bout with Ali.

Is there any suspicions about Leicester in the EPL last year? Seems too outlandish to me, not sure what motivations might be though?

I mentioned this in the SEN thread the other day. The 1954 World Cup Final.

The Hungarian side of the time (A team which initiated the tactics of the "press" and rotating player's positions. A team which can strongly claim to be the best ever), went into the final against West Germany having not lost a game for 4-5 years. This includes beating WG 8-3 earlier in the tournament.

Hungary was also a full blown communist country. The World Cup is a Western construct.

Well. West Germany won the WC Final 3-2. They benefited from the Hungarian goalkeeper being unfairly obstructed for their second goal. Also from having what would've been a late equalising goal for Hungary disallowed due to the offside rule being "misinterpreted".

Just saying....

Is there any suspicions about Leicester in the EPL last year? Seems too outlandish to me, not sure what motivations might be though?
Not sure who (other than Leicester City themselves) would hugely benefit from a minnow winning the title. All the the top sides had very down years, and Tottenham blew their chance with the draw against Chelsea. Nothing to see here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back