Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
With the current hatchet jobs being done on everyone currently employed at CFC I just wondered if anyone remembered the early careers of players when they were regarded as "hopeless" by impatient pies fans.
I have a few I can kick off with:
1. Tony Shaw: Described as too small and too slow, with limited skill and little chance of development Shaw ended up being a Collingwood premiership captain, Norm Smith medallist, CFC games record holder and Copeland trophy winner. Not too bad for a "spud".

2. Dane Swan: Deemed to be undisciplined, unfit, unmotivated Swan went on to become a premiership player, Brownlow medallist, multiple All Australian player, Multiple Copeland trophy winner and now even an inventor!

I think you all get the idea....over to you and your memories!!

To a certain extent Ben Reid was a spud early. It didn't look like he was going to make it. Then we threw him back and the rest is history.

In 1965 a young ruck man made his first ever appearance in black and white during the preliminary final against Essendon. The youngster in number 28 was only 18 years old and had earlier been rejected by the Don's after training with them in the preseason and as one might expect he was a nervous combatant at the MCG in front of 98,000 spectators. He had several attempts at marks up forward and suffered the indignity of missing a goal from the goal square, but his league career had begun and what a career it would be. At 6'6" (200cm+) Len Thompson was a giant who had the athletic skills of a midfielder and during the next 17 years and 300 odd games he became the first "running ruck man". He went on to win a handful of Copelands, the 1972 Brownlow medal as well as multiple Victorian representations.

In his first game people called him things akin to "spud" but thereafter he was always known as a champion.

Can't say I expected to see much from Medhurst when he first got shipped over in the Tarrant trade. Think he may have been Freo's leading goalkicker one year but wasnt known for much else. Was the steak knives of that trade iirc.
The rest is history and though he doesn't have the premiership player tag or a Brownlow medal he was a Collingwood champ for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see if I can work out our less than 50 gamers
Adams ( may be on the cusp)
Seedsman
Langdon
Kennedy
Odwyer
Martin
Karnesis
Sharenberg
Freeman
Oxley
m Williams
Fasolo ? (may be on the cusp)
Keefe
Frost
Witts
Grundy
Elliot

Most of these have had some afl experience except for Sharenberg-Karnesis has played with Brisbane though....Even freeman played a game before being injured. 16 players can anyone think of anyone else ?
There is our problem........you see ! Too many youngens !
Our backline has been our problem look at our backline......Williams,Frost Keefe,Langdon
SEE WHAT I MEAN ?

we need to do what hawthorn do recruit for our needs....We need experience skillful players to ad to the existing team not get rid of the youngens.....Oh I forgot Broomhead too
Ruck mature aged
KP Backman experienced
Midfielder with grunt and speed experienced

See dudes we should have picked up Stefan MARTIN when we had the chance. he would have been gold now with Witts and Grundy up and coming

Sorry guys I failed maths we have approx. 18 players under 50 games some have hardly played at all.But most have had an invaluable run this year this will only benefit them

Lets see if I can work out our less than 50 gamers
Adams ( may be on the cusp)
Seedsman
Langdon
Kennedy
Odwyer
Martin
Karnesis
Sharenberg
Freeman
Oxley
m Williams
Fasolo ? (may be on the cusp)
Keefe
Frost
Witts
Grundy
Elliot

Most of these have had some afl experience except for Sharenberg-Karnesis has played with Brisbane though....Even freeman played a game before being injured. 16 players can anyone think of anyone else ?
There is our problem........you see ! Too many youngens !
Our backline has been our problem look at our backline......Williams,Frost Keefe,Langdon
SEE WHAT I MEAN ?

Thomas, Marsh, Broomhead and Sinclair

With the current hatchet jobs being done on everyone currently employed at CFC I just wondered if anyone remembered the early careers of players when they were regarded as "hopeless" by impatient pies fans.
I have a few I can kick off with:
1. Tony Shaw: Described as too small and too slow, with limited skill and little chance of development Shaw ended up being a Collingwood premiership captain, Norm Smith medallist, CFC games record holder and Copeland trophy winner. Not too bad for a "spud".

2. Dane Swan: Deemed to be undisciplined, unfit, unmotivated Swan went on to become a premiership player, Brownlow medallist, multiple All Australian player, Multiple Copeland trophy winner and now even an inventor!

I think you all get the idea....over to you and your memories!!

Football was played a lot differently then - being an elite kick wasn't a huge requirement in his playing days. Game plans mainly consisted of using the ball long and direct. Grounds during winter were bog heaps, allowing the slowish and bigger bodied players to come into games.

Shawry's will and determination were the major reason why he made the grade.

I just don't see that same determination in any of our playing group unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back