Review St Kilda v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also his 3rd he dropped a mark in wet conditions however brought the ball to ground, shovelled out a hand pass to a team mate, found space to receive the ball back and calmly slotted the goal from 35 out on a 45 degree angle. Cheated? Bull s**t...!

so much this. on the weekend when he made a blue he recovered from it. i'd much prefer that to happen than to just stuff up and put the queue back in the rack

I felt like in the second half, Spencer was being too timid. When the ball was coming deep into the forward line, he wouldn't commit himself to contests, I think partly because he was over thinking it and partly because he didn't want to get in anyone's way.

The second half, though, he was backing himself and having a big presence. If not for the rain, he could have easily had another 2 or 3 goals. I'm glad we didn't sub him off, which I thought might have happened in the third quarter.

AR comments support that. couple of our mids need to do what white did in the second. ross comes to mind

I'm gunna cop some heat for this but being at the ground spencer didn't really impress me that much. We isolated him in the 50 one on one plenty of times and he just didn't lead with any conviction most key forward would lap up having the whole 50 to themselves. When he did get to the ball he had concrete hands for the most part. I also saw roo give him a spray at one point for not chasing his man which happened quite a bit. His kicking was a lot better than I thought it would be though. His contested mark for that first goal was really nice too, Chaplin is no mug.

He did about as much as a expected for a first game kpf so I'm happy but I don't have a serious hard on like most on here.

I'm gunna cop some heat for this but being at the ground spencer didn't really impress me that much. We isolated him in the 50 one on one plenty of times and he just didn't lead with any conviction most key forward would lap up having the whole 50 to themselves. When he did get to the ball he had concrete hands for the most part. I also saw roo give him a spray at one point for not chasing his man which happened quite a bit. His kicking was a lot better than I thought it would be though. His contested mark for that first goal was really nice too, Chaplin is no mug.

He did about as much as a expected for a first game kpf so I'm happy but I don't have a serious hard on like most on here.
Lol you'd expect a KPF to kick 3 in his first game?

To be fair to him I think he was that nervous in the first half it looked like he didn't even want the ball. Obviously as a first game key forward he has a long way to go.

Wasn't at the game so its hard to know what actually happened but from the replay of Spencers second goal it looks like the nearest opposition player was coming from the interchange bench.

So maybe he didn't cheat maybe he saw an opportunity and positioned himself on the chance we might win back the ball.

I reckon its a good tactic against Richmond that good sides would be all over.

All their backmen run forward at once, but top sides are good enough to force turnovers at hb/centre and a "slacker" forward hanging back around the back end of the square would get them every time.

Anyway a three goal game is better than Stanley, Simpkin, Bruce or Lee have achieved this year. Gwilty did it, but that was in his 125 game not his first.

Wasn't at the game so its hard to know what actually happened but from the replay of Spencers second goal it looks like the nearest opposition player was coming from the interchange bench.

So maybe he didn't cheat maybe he saw an opportunity and positioned himself on the chance we might win back the ball.

I reckon its a good tactic against Richmond that good sides would be all over.

All their backmen run forward at once, but top sides are good enough to force turnovers at hb/centre and a "slacker" forward hanging back around the back end of the square would get them every time.

Anyway a three goal game is better than Stanley, Simpkin, Bruce or Lee have achieved this year. Gwilty did it, but that was in his 125 game not his first.

The way I saw it Chaplin zoned off (he was doing it all day and getting cheap stats) when the ball was in dispute, Spencer kept his structure (he was the only guy inside our forward 50) and reaped the benefits. You could say he 'cheated' or that he 'provided an option' outside of the triple teamed Riewoldt. Spence really should have got more of the ball, he actually found quite a bit of space all afternoon but our players refused to kick it to him.

Current key forwards who didn't;
Travis Cloke: 1 goal, 1 behind
Jeremy Cameron: 0 goals, 0 behinds
Lance Frankin: 0 goals, 0 behinds
Jarryd Roughead: 2 goals, 1 behind
Drew Petire: 1 goal, 0 behinds
Jack Riewoldt: 0 goals, 0 behinds
Nick Riewoldt: 0 goals, 1 behind
Kurt Tippett: 2 goals, 1 behind
Josh Kennedy: 0 goals, 0 behinds
Taylor Walker: 1 goal, 0 behinds
Jono Brown: 0 goals, 0 behinds

Current key forwards who did:
Tom Hawkins: 3 goals, 2 behinds
Spencer White: 3 goals, 0 behinds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic start for Spencer White ,
Kicking looked good , works hard to reach contests , runs to dangerous spots for a forward . Maybe gifted a few goals but who cares , hopefully now nerves are gone those marks will stick resulting on more scoring chances .

This is Spence walking to his family after the post-match review. Relief was apparently the biggest emotion, followed by joy.

3515zf9.jpg

Spencer cheated out the back for his 2nd goal?

Jack Riewoldt has kicked 374 goals in his career & I'm adamant that at least 200 of them are cheap ones over the back....

You could say the same for Jarryd Roughead (424 goals)

He's 19 yrs old, playing for the shittest club in the league (for this year) in the worst forward line in the league & he kicks 3 goals on debut playing on Chaplin who's notching up his 11th season in the AFL.....My god, Tough bloody crowd!

Give the kid a ******* break!

Last night I had a dream that Spencer White was on the MCG in the red, white and black.
I dreamt he got the ball on the half-forward flank, took his man on and started running towards goal along the boundary line.
A moment later we bombed it into a big pack and somehow Spencer emerged to take a diving slips catch, and then went back and slotted his first goal as a Sainter.
Next he was standing in the forward line and we just banged it long to him on his own and he marked on the run, played on and goaled again.
Then he was running towards the flank and did the old one-two handball before snapping it from the pocket.
Best dream ever.

Seriously who gives a **** he kicked 3 goals on debut that's impressive for a KPF no matter how he got them. Not a heap of key forwards have kicked three on debut.

generally as a group we can be so pessimistic of our own, yet so optimistic when it comes to players at other clubs

we need to show a bit more confidence in what we have KPF wise

give me white over any of tabener,apeness,mayne. give me white over mcgovern.

give me white and stanley over reid.

our KPF get absolute shocking delivery. our mids are lucky they have roo, who tries and tries and tries again. put any other young developing KPF infront of our mids and i bet they'd struggle to develop just as much as lee, white and stanley. take any of white, lee and stanley in another side like sydney and i bet they'd go just as good as reid if not better

Spencer cheated out the back for his 2nd goal?

Jack Riewoldt has kicked 374 goals in his career & I'm adamant that at least 200 of them are cheap ones over the back....

You could say the same for Jarryd Roughead (424 goals)

He's 19 yrs old, playing for the shittest club in the league (for this year) in the worst forward line in the league & he kicks 3 goals on debut playing on Chaplin who's notching up his 11th season in the AFL.....My god, Tough bloody crowd!

Give the kid a ******* break!

no one cheats more than cripps. that bloke has made a career so far out of unaccountable football. its like he has notes on his palm "do not stand anywhere near the opposition... i am the seagull"

I was at the game too and I must say Spencer didn't demand his leads well at all. Richmond did a really good job of blocking up the space, but I don't think he demanded the ball that well. I was up the city end behind the goals on the edge on the third level so got a pretty good view.

Never really got off on the lead and in the end usually asked for it perched up on his head, or given the lack of leads that's also what the kicker was thinking as the only option as well.

Because of this lack of endeavour I don't think there is any doubt he was very very nervous, however out ball movement and Richmonds team defence had a massive impact as well.

Think the biggest issue was playing him out of the square and not changing that up very much throughout the game. Needed to get him involved up the ground on some searching leads. Will be much much better for the experience and just the blow out of getting the first game/goal outta the way!

Just want to come here and congratulate the career of Lenny Hayes the whole comp has so much respect for this bloke including the tiges, he really should have had a premiership medallion. The ultimate team man I was proud of my team giving him a guard of honor and for the crowd to give him the send off he deserves. Good luck next year saints unlike Melbourne you guys have heart and spirit and want to fight and not roll over the whole comp respects that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back