Review St.Kilda v Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanley, Newnes , Wright and Ray all good

Thought we were alright after the first quarter.

They're a great team and i think most of us expected that sort of margin.

But hey at least we kept it under 100 points since they defeated Geelong a top 4 team by over that. :D

Just posted this on the Game Day Thread, and then realised here is probably a better place for it:

I think what we have seen from Newnes this year is enough reason to be optimistic about the future. He is approaching 50 games and has been very consistent this year. He had another 26 touches today, is hard at the ball and generally uses it pretty well. Once some of our other players start to get more experience like Newnes, I think we'll see a fair bit of improvement out of the group we've got. :thumbsu:

1. Like + Reply

2. Dopey BJAll Australian
    St Kilda
    Other teams:

Does Richo have enough passion? Is he too soft on them? You can blame our lack of talent, injuries, rebuilding etc but there's no excuse for lack of effort and fight and that comes back to the coach.
    I reckon he was appointed so late he is using this year as look and learn period, I think he will start ringing the changes when the year is over.
    Dopey BJ, 6 minutes ago Edit Delete Report
    #124 + Reply

I'll just copy and paste what I posted in the Game Day thread.

Not many positives apart from Stanley, Newnes and Wright who were the shining lights from our youngsters.

Armitage, Steven, Riewoldt and Ray tried hard for the older guard.

Too many passengers and you have to ask questions of Richo's coaching, our match ups, game plan and intensity was woeful again.

It's all very well for him to say we're rebuilding and Saints supporters are accepting of where we're at but we won't accept a lack of effort and lack of fight and lack of pride for the Saints jumper.

I've been supporting the Saints for over 20 years and seen us go through a few s**t times but we always fought hard no matter how s**t we were and that fight isn't there at the moment.

Does Richo have enough passion? Is he too soft on them? You can blame our lack of talent, injuries, rebuilding etc but there's no excuse for lack of effort and fight and that comes back to the coach.

People here bag Watters but we showed a lot more fight and effort under him and he wasn't afraid to give our players a bake, I'm not sure Richo is giving our players the bake they deserve.

The lack of tackling was pretty pathetic across the board. We just couldn't stop their run when they got going and spent the majority of the time acting as witches hats for them to run around.

Newnes, Riewoldt and Steven were amongst our best. Weller did a great job as tagger. Ray cops a lot of flack but he was good as the +1 in defence when we were getting smashed. Great overhead, never shirks a contest but his kicking is average.

plugger 35,bit harsh on richo, I think' don't see how you can bag a coach after only coaching 20 games/ its a learning curve for many people at the club, I suggest you sit back relax and enjoy, look at the positives in the next two or three years, have patience mate.

Result was never in doubt, it was always going to be a flogging but I'll admit we steadied a little bit after the first quarter and ended up doing better than I thought we would.

Liked the work of Newnes, Stanley, Ray as others said. Armo and Steven didn't go down without a fight, Riewoldt was solid as ever, Longer gave some good efforts.

Umpiring was just a comedy at times; the two Swans players cleaning each other up, getting a free kick and gifting Buddy a goal was just hilarious. If we had a chance to actually win I guess I wouldn't be laughing, but it was just unbelievable to see.

Obviously our young team has a lot of work in front of it, but we're still seeing some good signs and some good passages of play. Take this as a learning experience and move on!

Not many positives apart from Stanley, Newnes and Wright who were the shining lights from our youngsters.

Too many passengers and you have to ask questions of Richo's coaching, our match ups, game plan and intensity was woeful again.

It's all very well for him to say we're rebuilding and Saints supporters are accepting of where we're at but we won't accept a lack of effort and lack of fight and lack of pride for the Saints jumper.

I've been supporting the Saints for over 20 years and seen us go through a few s**t times but we always fought hard no matter how s**t we were and that fight isn't there at the moment.

People here bag Watters but we showed a lot more fight and effort under him and he wasn't afraid to give our players a bake, I'm not sure Richo is giving our players the bake they deserve.

Generally we bag Watters and his output with mighty good reason.

He was an unmitigated disaster and the club made a good decision getting rid of him.

We were a dogs breakfast under Watters. I thnk he was completely and utterly out of his depth.

We would have been worse under him, we probably would have seen riewoldt leave and the club essentially torn to bits and IMO he would have been sacked after the hawthorn game if he had stayed on.

We have Richo, we should and must stick with him and the Pelican. They will live and die by their decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game I have watched in Australia, so with a good stream which didn't cut out every 10 minutes.

First off, Sydney are a huge team who move off the ball as good as any team as well as controlling the ball like no other. Always going to be a long day at the office.

Really liked watching Wright early and his attack but fumbled a few times with the ball, missing marks, slipping over. When he is more comfortable at AFL level I think he will be able to take the game on and be a damaging player for us.

Ross seems to be able to attract the ball around stoppages but doesn't offer much else around the ground. Would like to see him develop some mongrel in him and be a beast around the ball with his bigger frame and win 50-50 situations.

Weller, Curren, Stanley and Saunders all continued to show signs of becoming promising players while Newnes, as many have said before me, is looking more and more like he belongs at the highest level. The same with Savage.

The ease of which Sydney entered their 50 shows the importance of having a dominant midfield (with great skills) and a well organised defence, so still firmly on the CP bandwagon.

We're probably around 8 goals behind the comp on average, if we can get that back to 4 or 5 nxt year and square it up the next I'll be happy. Come on boys I want to enjoy it while I can.

We're probably around 8 goals behind the comp on average, if we can get that back to 4 or 5 nxt year and square it up the next I'll be happy. Come on boys I want to enjoy it while I can.

I think you might be disappointed next year.

Obviously a tough day.
Showed how much we missed Josh the Bruce. Buddy too agile for Delaney but too much well directer ball coming into their fwd line to stop him anyway.
Don't mean to be harsh on him but IMO Seb Ross really needs to develop his tank over summer. Good at stoppages but no pace around the ground and often looks like he's just watching the play. Took Jobe Watson time to come on and a canning from Sheedy so maybe thats a hint for Richo..... Richo, you there bud?
Newnes coming on really well and looks like he belongs now.

We are slow and unfit.... Compared to others.

Effort at the contest is reasonably fine considering, name games where we weren't smashed outside? Outspread, and can't defend in open play... Nor can we separate when we have the ball.

There was a damning bit of footage, where we had the mark 70 out and not one fwd was moving.

Another where we had possession in the back half and had no options coming out, just down the line chunking.

We looked as though (whilst actually wearing the wrong boots for the third time this year) that we were in cement boots. The amount of players running up and down on the spot.

Better game by Steven, besides his usual decision making, continually worked
Armo typically busted his arse

But we are below AFL standard

Obviously a tough day.
Showed how much we missed Josh the Bruce. Buddy too agile for Delaney but too much well directer ball coming into their fwd line to stop him anyway.
Don't mean to be harsh on him but IMO Seb Ross really needs to develop his tank over summer. Good at stoppages but no pace around the ground and often looks like he's just watching the play. Took Jobe Watson time to come on and a canning from Sheedy so maybe thats a hint for Richo..... Richo, you there bud?
Newnes coming on really well and looks like he belongs now.

Seb is coming along though.
I didn't see today's game, I took the kids to the Zoo and I don't regret it, but the stats say he had the most contested possessions after Armitage, which is not to be sneezed at.

I beg to differ... we didn't exactly look crash hot in 200 / 2001 / 2002. There were some pretty insipid performances in those years, and I dare say we had a better list back then.

We nada shocking list in those years.

R.Harvey, Nathan B, S.Loewe, Peter E, Fraser G, B.Hall

All missed large chunks of footy I that period

We nada shocking list in those years.

R.Harvey, Nathan B, S.Loewe, Peter E, Fraser G, B.Hall

All missed large chunks of footy I that period

Hammil, Thompson, Peckett, Jones, Voss.. all pretty sh1t if I recall.

I have followed our boys for 45 years and when we were bad - we were bad.

we are last and they will probably win the flag. You can only play as well as your opposition allows you to.

Generally we bag Watters and his output with mighty good reason.

He was an unmitigated disaster and the club made a good decision getting rid of him.

We were a dogs breakfast under Watters. I thnk he was completely and utterly out of his depth.

We would have been worse under him, we probably would have seen riewoldt leave and the club essentially torn to bits and IMO he would have been sacked after the hawthorn game if he had stayed on.

We have Richo, we should and must stick with him and the Pelican. They will live and die by their decisions.

It's revisionist rubbish to say Watters was garbage and out of his depth, he coached Subiaco in the WAFL to a couple of premierships and was headhunted by Malthouse to work with him at Collingwood.

He's a good coach that helped develop some of our youngsters and improved some guys that weren't given enough chances under Lyon like Stanley, Steven, Geary and Armitage.

He turned Dempster from a washed up tagger into an AA quality defender but since he left he's gone backwards again.

Watters might have had his faults but to write off all the good things he did just because we sacked him is dumb, it's Essendon level dumb where they slag off Knights for everything that is wrong with their club and worship a shithead like Hird.

I'd like to think St Kilda supporters have a bit more intelligence than that.

I'm not bagging Richo, I like the guy and will give him a chance but I'm not going to run around and hail him as a messiah when we're last on the ladder.

He still needs to prove himself.

I beg to differ... we didn't exactly look crash hot in 200 / 2001 / 2002. There were some pretty insipid performances in those years, and I dare say we had a better list back then.

I was overseas living in the UK in those days so I missed a lot of that stuff thankfully, I remember finding out that Blight had taken over as coach via an internet café and being stunned.

Then I thought "wow we could win a premiership with mastercoach Blighty on board" and being stunned again when we sacked him a few months later for Grant Thomas who I'd never heard of.

I was like "what the hell is going on back there", I was only overseas for a few years and we went through about 3 or 4 coaches, that's St Kilda for you though, it's never a dull ride.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back