St Kilda's youth

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like that. But why didn't they like Watters?

and as you said It also shouldn't be a justification for not working hard.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

He lost them early.

We will never know if he can coach or not cause he never had them.

I think he pushed the next generation forward, but they felt it was at their expense.

Alan is doing the same, but perhaps is more subtle about it.

He lost them early.

I think he pushed the next generation forward, but they felt it was at their expense.

Watters did well blooding the youngsters.

Richardson benefited from this, plus some great trading/drafting this time around.

Richardson also has a much better game plan than Watters.

Well done to St.kilda last night. They needed to pull the trigger and rebuild with youth, and now it's starting to show. The kids will not play well every week (just look at the Adelaide match), but some have shown that they can make the grade. It will be interesting to see if Carlton chooses to go down this road in the not too distant future.

Well done to St.kilda last night. They needed to pull the trigger and rebuild with youth, and now it's starting to show. The kids will not play well every week (just look at the Adelaide match), but some have shown that they can make the grade. It will be interesting to see if Carlton chooses to go down this road in the not too distant future.

The good thing about the Adelaide game is that they were able to respond by dropping a couple, and bringing in a couple of others who were showing a lot in VFL. We still have players in the VFL who deserve to come in.

He lost them early.

Its hard to know what it was all about, maybe it was just too much emphasis on group hugs and the like ,and not enough on fitness.
The whole team is certainly running out games better now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My post from the first page is ringing truer than ever.

We exposed Essendon last night just like Port exposed West Coast.

But please keep telling me I know nothing about football.

I'm just that dumb flog that complains about umpires right?
Not wrong there.

Webster is one of the overlooked young saints guns. Have a look at him outrunning Leroy Jetta and calmly clearing the ball out of defence. Kid will be a star.

He's the one that impresses me the most.

His composure for a young player is amazing.

Don't change, Plugger35.:thumbsu:

I'm sticking to my convictions RE: St Kilda. The Saints have some reasonable U/23 players but the 23-30 cupboard is pretty bare. The reliance on the leaders from the Ross Lyon era is still massive and it masks how good/bad/otherwise the young players really are.
BEST
Essendon: Stanton, Watson, Chapman, Myers
St Kilda: Riewoldt, Hayes, Montagna, Newnes, Gwilt, Billings, Ray

30+: Hayes, Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, Demptster, Schneider. Notice a coincidence?

The real test for St Kilda's youth and list in general will come when the 6 oldest players are gone and guys like Webster, Saunders etc. are permanent fixtures. Are your young guns good enough to thrive when Ray, Jones and Gilbert are your senior players?

Saints have some very good young kids, they will be a very good team in a couple of years.

They'll have a good improving team in a couple of years.
Not a VERY good team. The loss of Riewoldt, Montagna and Hayes will take it's toll.

Expect a relatively stable 5 years around the bottom for St Kilda.
They won't get blown out like Melbourne, but it will take them some time to climb the ladder.

It is no like Port Adelaide, who already had a quality core at their disposal.

I'm sticking to my convictions RE: St Kilda. The Saints have some reasonable U/23 players but the 23-30 cupboard is pretty bare. The reliance on the leaders from the Ross Lyon era is still massive and it masks how good/bad/otherwise the young players really are.

30+: Hayes, Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna, Demptster, Schneider. Notice a coincidence?

The real test for St Kilda's youth and list in general will come when the 6 oldest players are gone and guys like Webster, Saunders etc. are permanent fixtures. Are your young guns good enough to thrive when Ray, Jones and Gilbert are your senior players?
By then I expect we will have hit free agency pretty hard to add to our over-26yo stocks. We're loading up and clearing the salary cap decks for a big crack at free agency in 2016, but may have to bring that forward by a year or even two if we perform better than we expected to in the meantime and don't get the really high draft picks we were probably expecting. Someone like Montagna is also aiming to still be playing in 4 years time, by which time the likes of Armitage and Steven will be in their late 20's and plenty senior.

By then I expect we will have hit free agency pretty hard to add to our over-26yo stocks. We're loading up and clearing the salary cap decks for a big crack at free agency in 2016, but may have to bring that forward by a year or even two if we perform better than we expected to in the meantime and don't get the really high draft picks we were probably expecting. Someone like Montagna is also aiming to still be playing in 4 years time, by which time the likes of Armitage and Steven will be in their late 20's and plenty senior.

Probably likely to go for a big KPF Free Agent at that time and whatever weakness there is in the side at the time.

If we don't finish with a top 5 pick this year and don't look like getting one of the very highly rated "KPF's" in the draft I would hope we'd have a pretty big crack at James Frawley if he continues to perform well up forward. Roo could finish off his career at FF, with Frawley in front of him at CHF, with the likes of Stanley and/or Lee as the 3rd tall target.

I expect we will also go really hard at anyone highly rated that slips loose from GWS or Gold Coast in the next two offseasons.

Most teams would struggle without their best experienced players and leaders, how would West Coast go without Cox, Glass and Priddis?

Apart from Hayes our experienced players still have at least 2 or 3 seasons left in them and hopefully by then our younger players are ready to take over from them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back