Stadium Australia (ANZ Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

MCG is looking pretty good at the moment: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-06-15/highlights-richmond-v-adelaide

That said, they needed to have one of these qualifiers in Sydney, and would have locked 35,000 out if they had it at SFS. The real issue though isn't where they had it, it's why the surface there is shizenhousen?
Haven't seen the G in bad nick since about 2002
Yeah it looks great. My feeling remains that the surface wouldn't be as "flat" as is preferred by Soccer. Just because of the way AFL/NRL players run, jump, stop, their boots digging into the surface more than Soccer.
The surface at the MCG looks great but I think there would still be some complaints, as there always seem to be when Soccer is played on a multi-sport venue.
Don't get me wrong - ANZ looked terrible. Especially if you look at the game v Uruguay in 2005 (mind you this game was in November so no NRL/AFL for quite a while). Looked more like the Docklands of old than what you normally see there with the seats in. But I think it only played very slightly worse than Etihad did the week before. I was surprised though about how patchy it looked too.

Dare say any major venue in Australia wouldn't have had a great surface at present due to it being the middle of the AFL/NRL season. All the grounds being used by sports that put a lot of wear on the surface. ANZ looked pretty bad though.

One commentator said the surface was 'bobbley' in places. WTF is that? Couldnt he just say it was a bit rough or bumpy in places instead of making up a stupid word?.

They might as well. I dont mind a bit of flair but how about a bit more plain english in the comentary. If it was a bit rough in places, then just say so!!
I noticed everyone looked like a drowned rat in the rain. Not much crowd protection obviously.

Complaining about the pitch, saying we can't have it at the MCG and bagging me for promoting a 3rd stadium for Melbourne to host such events. You can't do all three...

So the rumours of it being converted to a permanent recatangular stadium are false?
They wouldn't want to give up rights to Sydney Thunder, T20 Internationals, and Swans/Giants finals/blockbusters.

Maybe they wouldn't be to fussed about the Thunder...

World cup bid included an increase to 90,000, i think. I suppose an increase would have been advertised in todays announcement, however is this still on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't be. Here's the link to the 3D animation that was released today:

I never said they would. I was saying that the rumours about ANZ going total rectangle-only wouldn't be true because they wouldn't want to lose the rights to these events.
I read up on the subject before I said anything...

Anyway, what do you think of the proposed re-development?
I've never been to ANZ except for one T20 match in 2005 when Joey Johns raised his bat after scoring a single for NSW. So as far as what it would be like for rectangular codes, I'm not sure. Coming from Adelaide when I've seen Rugby 7's/NRL/A-League at Adelaide Oval it's been ok sitting a little bit behind the end lines, but I can imagine it would be amazing if you could sit right behind. So bringing the crowds in at the ends of the ground sounds like a brilliant idea and I'm not sure why it wasn't done post-Olympics along with the east and west wings.
As for the roof, well, I'm not a huge fan of "weather-proofing" outdoor sports, full stop. Cricket will definately benefit as it would mean play could continue. Winter sports, well, suck it up :p

I like the idea of the re-development. Not a fan of how they'll lose the corners because of the retractable seats though. Will kill the seating bowl atmosphere

I like the idea of the re-development. Not a fan of how they'll lose the corners because of the retractable seats though. Will kill the seating bowl atmosphere

LOL, how ironic.

They're making the north/south seats retractable so they can move them closer to the field and supposedly improve the atmosphere. That's been the number one complaint against ANZ - no atmosphere, because the seats are too far away.

So if people now complain that retractable seats are going to kill the seating bowl atmosphere, the management will probably slash their wrists.

Sat behind the goals on saturday night and it wasn't that bad, certainly better than subi

I would be seriously worried if a fifteen-year old Olympic stadium was worse than Subi, to be honest.

I was talking more about the seating view, the stadium itself is amazing, getting there is super easy and the set up was great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back