DanielKerr4

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2003
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Burnley FC
Morrison - Been at the club a while,used to be a gun, but now he has had his chances and needs to cement a spot.
Humm - Tough Vic with a heart the size of Pharlap, unfortunatley Pharlap wasn't very good at football. Needs to fill a back pocket role swapping with midfield.
Munro - We know he is big, but he hasn't done much. Needs to consolidate and get some match time.
Seaby - Big promise, yet to deliver in the real stuff. Lets see how he goes
Chambers - Always been a fringe player, needs to step out of that category
Adkins - We dont want to lose in the Williams trade, so i expect 40 goals!
Gaspar - We have seen him, but we can't afford an injury prone player. I pray for him to get out on the park!
Hansen - Don't think we will see much of him, needs a miraculous recovery from a shoulder injury and then get in form.
Selwood - Second year player, didn't see much of him in the pre-season.
Johnson - Good pre-season, can he continue?

The above players need to stand up in 2004 and make a name for themselves. If they don't im afraid that the coaching staff will need to review the list.

stand up

I think there will be a spot in the team for Morrison. He obviously wont get in the midfield, but I think there is a spot down back for someone with a level head and good disposal. He also plays quite tall too, good marker.... and hes lost a fair bit of weight. I think he could provide some good run out of the backline, otherwise perhaps a handy player off the bench.

I think Johnson will cement a spot in the team. I think Humm, Seaby and Adkins may be stuck on the fringe of the best 22-25 players and named as emergencies a lot, but only playing 5-10 games. If these guys dont play much this year, hopefully it means our injury list is short and close to our best 22 is out there.

I think(hope) Gaspar will shake his injury curse this year once he gets in the team, he is so versatile, defintely in our best 22.

Originally posted by DanielKerr4

Hey back in to your box...Chipper Rocks!!!:D :D :D :D

The man is a powerhouse, this year he is injury free and will establish himself as an impact player. He will spend quiet soem time in the forward line and rotating through the midfield. IMO 40 goals is beyond him but will finish the season in our top 10....

(Was that spirited defence belivable??? Your feedback is appreciate so that I may continue to grow!!)

:D :D :D

Morrison - Been at the club a while,used to be a gun, but now he has had his chances and needs to cement a spot.
Humm - Tough Vic with a heart the size of Pharlap, unfortunatley Pharlap wasn't very good at football. Needs to fill a back pocket role swapping with midfield.
Munro - We know he is big, but he hasn't done much. Needs to consolidate and get some match time.
Gaspar - We have seen him, but we can't afford an injury prone player. I pray for him to get out on the park!
Hansen - Don't think we will see much of him, needs a miraculous recovery from a shoulder injury and then get in form.

The above players need to stand up in 2004 and make a name for themselves. If they don't im afraid that the coaching staff will need to review the list.

Don't let Freo hear you talking that way about McPharlin...

Of the players on the outer last year, on the basis of this preseason I think there are 3 or 4 who will become regular fixtures in our best 22- partly because of the promise they've shown, partly because they slot in where we need players.

- Obviously Lynch has been outstanding at CHB this preseason- given our lack of key defence options, this could be the making of Big Quentin's AFL career- if he holds that sort of form over the season he'll play 22 games and go a long way to becoming a definite, no brainer CHB at the club for years to come.

- On the basis of Humm's preseason form, he's probably earned a round one start as the tight playing back pocket defender across from Wirra, and as with Lynch, there is a hole in our team that could accomodate him for 22 games if he holds form.

- Chad Morrison has been very good over the preseason, and looked a lot like the pre-knee Chaddy we knew and loved. I have a bit of a reservation about how he fits into our team structure, since we don't lack for sweeping, attacking type HBFs, so Morrison needs to be consistently good to hold his spot.

-Johnson of course was the other big surprise, and is a serious chance to carve out a niche for himself at CHF.

What will be interesting is if Johno and Lynch both stand up, my boy Gassy could actually be struggling to get a game if fit, which sure as hell wouldn't have been the case this time last year- one possibility is him getting a run at full back if he can get there ahead of (my other boy) Glassy, but failing that he might end up as an awesome tall utility off the bench, or, in games where we are totally on top out of the centre, we could field an absolutely massive forward line with Johnson and Gardiner in the kpps, and Gaspar and McDougall playing on the flanks- obviously that line would lack a bit of defensive pressure, but Gassy and Doogs are both pretty agile for their size- certainly, four relatively quick, agile, 195+ targets would give defenders something to think about- if our midfielders were on top and kicking it high and long, we'd be unbeatable.

I'm not quite sure how we got here, but after our bonsai-ish teams of the last few years its pretty nice to be able to wonder if we'll be able to fit Gaspar into our team rather than hoping that he'd stop getting injured so we could have at least one real kpp.

Re: Re: Stand Up!

Originally posted by no1bankteller
Hey back in to your box...Chipper Rocks!!!:D :D :D :D

The man is a powerhouse, this year he is injury free and will establish himself as an impact player. He will spend quiet soem time in the forward line and rotating through the midfield. IMO 40 goals is beyond him but will finish the season in our top 10....

(Was that spirited defence belivable??? Your feedback is appreciate so that I may continue to grow!!)

:D :D :D

Possibly a little over the top, however nothing in the criteria requires that your defense actually be believable.

In my case its easy, because the West Coast defensive champion that is Trent Carroll requires little defending.

Re: Re: Re: Stand Up!

Originally posted by Mr Q
In my case its easy, because the West Coast defensive champion that is Trent Carroll requires little defending.

replace 'requires' with 'does' and you'd be a bit closer to the mark. Speaking of which, just as soon as they frigging well stop getting injured, the twin defensive geniuses of the Darren and Travis Show are going to own our back line. They're classy, they're arsey, Gassy and Glassy!

And Jakovich was drafted as one;) Weren't you all(not me, but many others) saying Lynch too was a forward? Gaspar, for mine, could play either end and play it well:)

This year Collica will also need to stand up. He was very good in his first season with us but struggled last year. Of course, he is going to go well and is going to be our most improved player this year:D(even better than any of the KPP's who are gonna be awesome!)

Chipper wont get 40 goals even IF i was the most optimistic i could be, but he will be in the side if he can put good, consistent footy together. He has the skills, does he have the footy brain? we will see.

How Seaby goes will really depend on Woosha. If Woosh turns him into a KPP if Johnno, Doogs or another flop he may play a few games. If he stays as a ruckman he will only really play if 1 of Cox and Gards is injured, which none of us wants. Should be an interesting year for the lad.

Originally posted by eagleskickass
Weren't you all(not me, but many others) saying Lynch too was a forward?

I still think Lynch is a forward but with no other options in the backline at the moment he is the only one available to fill the gap. I would like to see him moved forward once Gaspar has settled into being our Full Back.

When we have our key positions covered I'd like to see Lynch flexible enough to play CHB, CHF or FF if required to do a specific job. But in the mean time he has to be our first choice CHB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

flexibility is the key attribute we need with respect to KPP.
Teams like Essendon and Brisbane have players like Lucas, Fletcher and Leppitsch, Bradshaw that can play either forward or back in KPP roles.
We need to develop that ability at the eagles. Finding someone who can hold down FB, CHB, CHF and FF is really the first task this season, and the jury is still out on how any of the people mentioned will go in those positions. The pre season signs were encouraging, as were some matches last year.
For mine the players that need to stand up this year are:
Lynch
Glass
MacDougall
Gaspar

The other talls such as Johnson, Seaby and Staker have a bit more time on their side.......Hansen on the other hand has no chance at all IMO. 10 weeks on the sidelines with an injury in a year where you were only able to win a 12 month contract suggests he will be gone come years end. The only way he will get a opportunity to play will be if the other KPP cannot cope this year.

I do not want to think where that would leave us this year.

but if all these people play there possible best, who would u take out of the side to fit them inot the best 22. IMO its good to have fringe players, of course not too many, but some. if you have 25 players that are good enopugh to fit into your best 22 then thats even better. Of course i want these players to stand up and play good footy, but do i want them in the 22...not nessacerilly.

Re: Re: Stand Up!

Originally posted by eagleye
but if all these people play there possible best, who would u take out of the side to fit them inot the best 22. IMO its good to have fringe players, of course not too many, but some. if you have 25 players that are good enopugh to fit into your best 22 then thats even better. Of course i want these players to stand up and play good footy, but do i want them in the 22...not nessacerilly.

Thats very true- cool as it would be to have 40 odd stars on our list, it just doesn't work like that- not when we have a salary cap to worry about.

Of the guys listed, I would say that a fit and in form Morrison, Humm, Gaspar and Johnson are definites in our best 22,with Seaby very close.

A different way of looking at it might be to ask- we have to make a certain number (4 ?) of compulsory delists/trades/retirements at the end of this year- assuming Jako hangs up his boots, who will be the other guys on the trading/chopping block?

Originally posted by Mead
A different way of looking at it might be to ask- we have to make a certain number (4 ?) of compulsory delists/trades/retirements at the end of this year- assuming Jako hangs up his boots, who will be the other guys on the trading/chopping block?

Retire:
Jakovich
Banfield

Trade:
One of Seaby/Cox/Beeck (too many ruckmen)

Delist:
Collica
Morrison (if he has another injury)
Hansen (if he doesn't recover quickly and show some good form in the WAFL)
Munro maybe (tons of talent)
Gaspar (if he breaks down again)

Originally posted by Mead

Names on the "Bad Year and Cut or Trade" Board -

Damien Adkins - A moderate year would probably win him some time
Drew Banfield - More retiring not delisting (unfortunately.)
Trent Carrol - depends on how young KPP go, and his own form of course
Callum Chambers - Really needs to cement a spot in the best 22 or even better best 18, are we took quick to right off this blokes chances ?
Michael Collica - Another who suprisingly struggled for games in '03, at 27 he needs a good year
Travis Gaspar - Talent, but what if he breaks down again ?
Ashley Hansen - On the backfoot already, in his 3rd year needs games under his belt
Jeremy Humm - Like Chambers may become a trade prospect if he fails to win regular selection
Quinten Lynch - Yeah, I know he's had a great pre-season, but if the Big Q crashes in the big leagues, he may be under the pump
Chad Morrison - Getting on and in need of role within the team. A fit and firing Chad Morrison would be a great bonus for the team but where will he fit in ?
Kane Munro - Has to show something more than the final against the Dons in '02
Josh Wooden - With this collarbone injury, he may not break into the team until mid-season, if he can do that and - play good footy, he'll survive - if he struggles to come back, he may well be traded or cut.

That's 12 players.

Jeez - am I being harsh here guys ?

I guess it shows how hotly the open positions must be being contested leading into round 1, not saying we are well stocked with depth but those blokes (well the ones that aren't injured) must be rampant at training hoping to get an opening round nod.

Interesting those players, are any of them certainties for the best 22 ? - I think Banners is - and Lynch has probably earned a call up but other than that are those guys in there - Gaspar included who has yet to play a dozen straight games ?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stand Up!

Don't think you're been too harsh JuJu.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Damien Adkins - A moderate year would probably win him some time
Since we traded for him I think he'd have to stuff up big time not to get at least one more year to prove himself

Drew Banfield - More retiring not delisting (unfortunately.)
Agree with that

Trent Carrol - depends on how young KPP go, and his own form of course
Trent will stun everyone with his blitzing form in 2004. Will finish in the top 3 in the B&F (am I laying it on too thick?). Seriously he needs to make a spot his early in the season to survive I'd think

Callum Chambers - Really needs to cement a spot in the best 22 or even better best 18, are we took quick to right off this blokes chances ?
More marshmallowy that I was as a footy player. I think he could easily make a spot for himself but has to do the hard things he just didn't do last year.

Michael Collica - Another who suprisingly struggled for games in '03, at 27 he needs a good year
Agree 100%.

Travis Gaspar - Talent, but what if he breaks down again ?
Should we even be asking "if" about Gassy still? Probably has two years to get injury free and make an impact, but if other KPPs go past him he could have trouble holding a spot

Ashley Hansen - On the backfoot already, in his 3rd year needs games under his belt
The club showed faith that he could come through by actually offering him another contract, but yeah, it could be hard for him

Jeremy Humm - Like Chambers may become a trade prospect if he fails to win regular selection
I think Humm, being a hard nut would have more of the coaches eyes than Chambers.

Quinten Lynch - Yeah, I know he's had a great pre-season, but if the Big Q crashes in the big leagues, he may be under the pump
Indeed, if he was as close to the edge as our former associate implied, he would need to cement a spot this year to stay at the club.

Chad Morrison - Getting on and in need of role within the team. A fit and firing Chad Morrison would be a great bonus for the team but where will he fit in ?
Returns to form - stays, doesn't - goes.

Kane Munro - Has to show something more than the final against the Dons in '02
Would surprise me if Munro lasts past the end of this year. Needs to go on the Scotty Cummings diet for a start.

Josh Wooden - With this collarbone injury, he may not break into the team until mid-season, if he can do that and - play good footy, he'll survive - if he struggles to come back, he may well be traded or cut.
That collarbone injury is a disaster for Wooden. Given how out of favour he was late last year he'd be lucky to survive unless he makes a huge impact later in the year. Of course to do that he'll need a chance that could be hard to get.

For mine:
Almost certainly last year:
Jakovich
Banfield

On the edge (need to show form but might not get a chance):
Munro
Hansen
Wooden

In danger (will probably get a chance):
Adkins
Carroll
Collica