Starc and Hazlewood - playing for their careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

greyhound punter

All Australian
Feb 1, 2023
AFL Club
Essendon
Starc and Hazlewood are now approaching 34 and 33 respectively.

I can only think of one Australian fast bowler in recent history who played past that age and still looked threatening - Glenn McGrath.

Andy Bichel, Jason Gillespie, Stuart Clark, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris didn't play test cricket past 33/34. .

Our test schedule over the next 12 months is fairly soft and it includes Pakistan (home), WI (home), NZ (away) and then India (home 24/25), SL (away), WI (away) and then Eng (home).

I'm not convinced these two should be playing past this home summer, and depending on how the current Ashes series pans out, then i'm not convinced these two are certain starters for our home summer.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I have been watching cricket for a long time, i have played the game, i have studied the game.

Worrying signs - im not often proven wrong when it comes to cricket.

Yes when you simply state the bleeding obvious, it's hard to be wrong.

To say that guys well past 30 are nearing the end is "worrying" though... I'm not sure why you're worrying about a natural, expected thing.

We have players currently in the 23-26 age bracket who will come in when it's their turn and perform, but it's not their turn yet. So, again, there's no need to be "worrying".

Hazlewoods next break down will probably be his last. Starc could not play after these ashes. We need to get games into a younger option

Hazlewoods next break down will probably be his last. Starc could not play after these ashes. We need to get games into a younger option

next options are boland and neser who will probably be done the same time as hazlewood and starc.

time to get jhye right.

Starc and Hazlewood are now approaching 34 and 33 respectively.

I can only think of one Australian fast bowler in recent history who played past that age and still looked threatening - Glenn McGrath.

Andy Bichel, Jason Gillespie, Stuart Clark, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris didn't play test cricket past 33/34. .

Our test schedule over the next 12 months is fairly soft and it includes Pakistan (home), WI (home), NZ (away) and then India (home 24/25), SL (away), WI (away) and then Eng (home).

I'm not convinced these two should be playing past this home summer, and depending on how the current Ashes series pans out, then i'm not convinced these two are certain starters for our home summer.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I have been watching cricket for a long time, i have played the game, i have studied the game.

only aussie quick since WSC to play test cricket passed the age of 36 is mcgrath.

only aussie quick to play 80+ tests is mcgrath and lillee (70 + 18 unofficial tests) - i'll back cummins in to play 80+ [our greatest 3 quicks since WSC].

Starc on 79 tests and can't see him knocking up too many more, same with Hazlewood. I'd be surprised if they notch up another 10 or so. They'll be lucky to go on past the NZ away series in March as there's a 9 month break after that.

• Banned

My point is we need to drop them now.

In my eyes they are done as test cricketers.

We have lacked penetration with the ball so far in this ashes series. We are really only in it because of English stupidity.

For me, unless they pull something out of the bag in the 2nd test, then it should be curtains for both in test cricket.

Who do we have that we know can take wickets on flat tracks vs ultra agressive batsman though? we really havent had best of conditions so far been very batting friendly for all of england batting outside handful of overs on day 3 first test, bolands accuracy was turned against him first test and while im fan of neser im not sure he wouldnt suffer same fate in good batting conditions.

Doesnt feel like any quick fix out there if anything losing lyons control will mean things are going to get lot worse for rest of the series.

Left arm 150kmph quick, as inconsistent as he has been Starc he will be tough to replace

Speed-wise I guess it rests on Morris to continue his excellent red ball form.

Hazlewood... Boland has a very economical action so will probably replace him in the short term, looks like he could go for another few years

Left arm 150kmph quick, as inconsistent as he has been Starc he will be tough to replace

Speed-wise I guess it rests on Morris to continue his excellent red ball form.

Hazlewood... Boland has a very economical action so will probably replace him in the short term, looks like he could go for another few years
Spencer Johnson
Jai Richardson
Lance Morris
Will Sutherland

Plenty of options.

Spencer Johnson
Jai Richardson
Lance Morris
Will Sutherland

Plenty of options.
Looks good on paper but the perennial problem with fast bowlers...injuries.

Johnson...Only recently back in cricket after a nightmare run of serious injuries
Richardson...Mr Soft Tissue
Morris...Serious back injury
Sutherland...Serious back injury

Every career eventually ends, and both have had excellent careers.

We always seem to have a fair bit of bowling depth (particularly paceman) so I think we will be ok.

Batting wise, we will need to replace Warner. But none of Harris, Renshaw or Bancroft excite me. Ideally someone like Pukovski if he can sort his issues out.

This part really tickled me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I initially bristled when I read the OP, but in a way they're spot-on - Starc and Hazlewood have been great servants of Australian Test Cricket, but their time will come, and despite advances in sports science and player management it will come sooner rather than later.

I think both bowlers drew upon their experience and resilience in this Test to support their Captain and also to step up in the absence of off-spinner Nathan Lyon.

Mitch Starc has been one of Australia's greatest ever fast bowlers, but he is so unique that he if still somewhat misunderstood.

He is a man that can produce that perfect, unplayable wicket-taking delivery 3 times a day. In between there can be all manner of offerings from the enigmatic left-armer.

Often it looks streaky and indulgent. But then he smashes the stumps over everywhere and it all takes on a different perspective.

Starc can hang around for a while I think, hasn't really lost much pace and doesn't play in the DLF Maximum Tik Tok Surekha Cement IPL. As long as they rotate him regularly.

Hazlewood I think is almost done, has played very little Test cricket lately and looked good in the first Test, less so in the second.

We will soon be in a new era, we were very fortunate to have four world class quicks around the same age. Pattinson's body didnt hold up but three out of four ain't bad. We have been spoilt to have a roster of quicks who average less than 30 (and one all time great bowler), so unless there is some serious talent coming through that I haven't seen it is unlikely we will have the same quality of attack in a few year's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back