State of Origin State of Origin Series XVIII Launch

Remove this Banner Ad

P4L: We've got a pretty experienced team, so I feel like we're always going to be competitive. Guys like @Mobbs who is just about the only player who's been playing longer than me,
Oh yeah, Vic Country is doing well to have both Season 35 All-SFA Half Forward Flanks in the side, plus the Centre.

FootyGuy13 Mobbs Robertio who else we got making the side?

Western Australia: Blazer, Jumpers, Captains Interview
Jumper FrontBlazerJumper Back
5tjrao6.png PlPNLNh.png 25px09i.png
Graphics thanks to Theinjuryfactory

Western Australia Co-Captains - TheInjuryFactory and Tarkyn_24
Co-Skippering the Western Australian team for State of Origin Series XVIII will be the pair of TheInjuryFactory and Tarkyn_24 who are continuing on from their championship winning success in Series XVII.

TheInjuryFactory has been one of the most passionate advocates for the State of Origin concept since its revival in 2019 and a deserving captain of Western Australia, accumulating one of the most impressive CVs of anyone since he's been here since Season 26. He has been selected in the All-SFA team on 5 occasions, won the Beez Trophy twice, won the Frankston Rover Award, won the Mobbenfuhrer Medal and co-captained Western Australia to a winning series last year in partnership with Tarkyn_24.

Tarkyn_24 is a Hall of Fame Immortal, a legendary goalkicker being the only player to have scored more than 1000 goals to date. He has won the Fred Medal three times, the TFLUA-Tiger Award twice and the Frankston Rover Award once to go with 7 All-SFA selections and 4 premierships. He has been the Western Australia Origin captain since it was revived in 2019 and together with TIF made WA the most successful state in Origin history by leading the team to a fourth State of Origin title in Series XVII.

Western Australia Captains Interview
KVz9FiX.png
KP: Congratulations Tarkyn_24 and TheInjuryFactory on once again leading the defending champions of State of Origin Western Australia out for Series XVIII. State of Origin is a tournament that you are both very passionate about, it's one with a lot of history dating back to the earliest seasons of the SFA. For newer players who are perhaps heading into their first series, what does the concept of State of Origin mean to you?

TIF: Thanks KP. I think Tarks & I would have been quite happy to remain champions in perpetuity, but we're thrilled to be back to defend our crown in Series XVIII.

I still remember my first series and the anticipation of stepping into a much vaunted WA set up with some of the league's absolute greats at the helm. It's probably become more commonplace than it was when I first started but as someone staunchly embedded at my club, it was an enticing prospect to mix it with some of the oppo players I'd admired and it's fair to say that it delivered.

It's a fantastic opportunity to form bonds with foes, play out of your normal position and rub shoulders with players from across the league and those that have been involved since the very birth of the concept.

T24: State of Origin represents the best true opportunity for us to all enjoy representative qootball and the chance to play alongside those that you might spend your career otherwise pitting your head against. For me, it’s a competition that I take seriously and to captain WA is an honour that ranks alongside my club achievements.

KP: You gents have obviously gone into this series with the co-captaincy model. You're the only state with multiple captains, why have you decided to go in this direction and what is the working relationship between you two in leading the WA state side?

TIF: The one thing that really stood out for me coming into the WA set up was just how revered the leadership group was, how serious they were about the prestige of representing WA and the history of the competition. I've been lucky enough to work my way into the WA leadership group over successive series since State of Origin's return, and it's genuinely been an honour to work with Ljp86 & Tarks over that time to continue our legacy as the most well run and successful state in the competition.

Last series Tarks elevated me to co-captain and together we broke through for an historic 4th championship for WA. To be able to share that has been one of the real highlights of my career and to me it just makes sense for us to continue unchanged.

T24: This is the second consecutive series we’ve gone with this model and it obviously works as we’re defending champions with our current leadership configuration. Personally, it was an opportunity to bring another capable leader into the fold and split duties, and also appeals to our respective tenure in the competition. Without a doubt I’m sure there are a number of newer members of the SFA that will have an appreciation for TIF’s substantial catalogue of wonderful work and will consider him more approachable. Conversely, there are a number of the old guard prevalent at WA that enjoy the ties with the old times, and my involvement as a leader in the concept also hopefully promotes further activity and engagement that might not have otherwise been bought in.

KP: Western Australia are now the most successful state in the history with four series titles, who are the key sandgropers most crucial in retaining the cup and ensuring you guys come home with a fifth title at the end of July?

TIF: We've been absolutely blessed with talent.

We've got a plethora of the league's biggest names over the past 10 seasons or so in JoshWoodenSpoon, Barrybran, Agent93 to name a few. We've also got a really strong contingent of the next generation of players in Tonga Bob, serial_thrilla, Chipmunk & BLUEALLTHRU who all have captaincy pedigree... and then we've got guys coming through like Greenery & Falconista who've got just the one series between them and I'm excited to see what they bring to the side, I think the future of WA is in very, very good hands.

T24: We’re a team of 20, a squad of more than they and we only bat as deep as our last player. We’ve often taken an approach of combining inclusion and collaboration and we always give everyone that’s active and showing enthusiasm for the concept a shot but our best contributors will generally be offered the more prevalent positions toward the end of the carnival as reward and recognition for their engagement.

KP: On that note, who are some of the players that you are most looking forward to teaming up with, that you normally do not get an opportunity to play alongside in a SFA season?

TIF: I really hope we see Biggie make a comeback for State of Origin, it's been a turbulent relationship with the Sweet FA in recent seasons but he's always put that aside for WA and I hope we see that again in Series XVIII.

I'm looking forward to mixing it with some of the new additions to the squad, Falconista is probably one that stands out as one of the real up and coming stars in the league, but I honestly just love getting around the whole WA squad. We've built up some great relationships over a number of series now and we always gel really well when we get together for another carnival.

T24: I always enjoy the old guard, so Ljp86 and boncer34 both represent reunions I’m excited about. I’m hopeful we can also coax League stalwart Biggie into pulling on the boots once again at the truest of his homes. I’m also excited to see the wares of BLUEALLTHRU , Tonga Bob and MWPP whilst JoshWoodenSpoon always contributes strongly.

KP: Now let's take a look at the other state teams. Who do you see as your biggest rivals in this series and biggest threat to your title defense?

TIF: It's hard to look past South Australia. Undoubtedly the most successful state in the competition since the series return in SXIV, runners up last series after winning their third series title in SXVI... they've really been a constant in the deciders over a long period of time now. They're undergoing some transition, but they'll definitely be one to watch.

The Allies are the dark horse for mine. They have a pretty formidable squad and look to have a bit of a new set up in place with some steady hands behind the scenes. If they can quell the disquiet from within their northern ranks and galvanise the rooms, they could surprise a few this series.

T24: South Australia, they tend to be the best of the opposition to engage in state relevant banter and they obviously pushed us in the final last season. I can’t stomach losing to sausageroll .

KP: To bring us home, what is your fondest memory in your experience playing in State of Origin?

TIF: Can't really look past winning Series XVII together. It's been an absolute pleasure to lead the state and I am very honoured to once again lead us out with Tarks.

T24: I’ll offer two - my first series was great fun as the dominant players in the SFA at the time were predominantly West Australians so playing alongside the likes of Wally, Biggie, boncer, ljp and co was good fun. It’s rivalled by last series’ premiership though, which once again was underlined by really great contributions by a wonderful group of people that embraced the concept. WA of all states tends to really embrace the competition which is wonderful.

Co-Skippering the Western Australian team for State of Origin Series XVIII will be the pair of TheInjuryFactory and Tarkyn_24 who are continuing on from their championship winning success in Series XVII.
Phwoar!!
200.gif

TheInjuryFactory has been one of the most passionate advocates for the State of Origin concept since its revival in 2019 and a deserving captain of Western Australia, accumulating one of the most impressive CVs of anyone since he's been here since Season 26. He has been selected in the All-SFA team on 5 occasions, won the Beez Trophy twice, won the Frankston Rover Award, won the Mobbenfuhrer Medal and co-captained Western Australia to a winning series last year in partnership with Tarkyn_24.

Tarkyn_24 is a Hall of Fame Immortal, a legendary goalkicker being the only player to have scored more than 1000 goals to date. He has won the Fred Medal three times, the TFLUA-Tiger Award twice and the Frankston Rover Award once to go with 7 All-SFA selections and 4 premierships. He has been the Western Australia Origin captain since it was revived in 2019 and together with TIF made WA the most successful state in Origin history by leading the team to a fourth State of Origin title in Series XVII.

Western Australia Captains Interview
View attachment 1716033
KP: Congratulations Tarkyn_24 and TheInjuryFactory on once again leading the defending champions of State of Origin Western Australia out for Series XVIII. State of Origin is a tournament that you are both very passionate about, it's one with a lot of history dating back to the earliest seasons of the SFA. For newer players who are perhaps heading into their first series, what does the concept of State of Origin mean to you?

TIF: Thanks KP. I think Tarks & I would have been quite happy to remain champions in perpetuity, but we're thrilled to be back to defend our crown in Series XVIII.

I still remember my first series and the anticipation of stepping into a much vaunted WA set up with some of the league's absolute greats at the helm. It's probably become more commonplace than it was when I first started but as someone staunchly embedded at my club, it was an enticing prospect to mix it with some of the oppo players I'd admired and it's fair to say that it delivered.

It's a fantastic opportunity to form bonds with foes, play out of your normal position and rub shoulders with players from across the league and those that have been involved since the very birth of the concept.

T24: State of Origin represents the best true opportunity for us to all enjoy representative qootball and the chance to play alongside those that you might spend your career otherwise pitting your head against. For me, it’s a competition that I take seriously and to captain WA is an honour that ranks alongside my club achievements.

KP: You gents have obviously gone into this series with the co-captaincy model. You're the only state with multiple captains, why have you decided to go in this direction and what is the working relationship between you two in leading the WA state side?

TIF: The one thing that really stood out for me coming into the WA set up was just how revered the leadership group was, how serious they were about the prestige of representing WA and the history of the competition. I've been lucky enough to work my way into the WA leadership group over successive series since State of Origin's return, and it's genuinely been an honour to work with Ljp86 & Tarks over that time to continue our legacy as the most well run and successful state in the competition.

Last series Tarks elevated me to co-captain and together we broke through for an historic 4th championship for WA. To be able to share that has been one of the real highlights of my career and to me it just makes sense for us to continue unchanged.

T24: This is the second consecutive series we’ve gone with this model and it obviously works as we’re defending champions with our current leadership configuration. Personally, it was an opportunity to bring another capable leader into the fold and split duties, and also appeals to our respective tenure in the competition. Without a doubt I’m sure there are a number of newer members of the SFA that will have an appreciation for TIF’s substantial catalogue of wonderful work and will consider him more approachable. Conversely, there are a number of the old guard prevalent at WA that enjoy the ties with the old times, and my involvement as a leader in the concept also hopefully promotes further activity and engagement that might not have otherwise been bought in.

KP: Western Australia are now the most successful state in the history with four series titles, who are the key sandgropers most crucial in retaining the cup and ensuring you guys come home with a fifth title at the end of July?

TIF: We've been absolutely blessed with talent.

We've got a plethora of the league's biggest names over the past 10 seasons or so in JoshWoodenSpoon, Barrybran, Agent93 to name a few. We've also got a really strong contingent of the next generation of players in Tonga Bob, serial_thrilla, Chipmunk & BLUEALLTHRU who all have captaincy pedigree... and then we've got guys coming through like Greenery & Falconista who've got just the one series between them and I'm excited to see what they bring to the side, I think the future of WA is in very, very good hands.

T24: We’re a team of 20, a squad of more than they and we only bat as deep as our last player. We’ve often taken an approach of combining inclusion and collaboration and we always give everyone that’s active and showing enthusiasm for the concept a shot but our best contributors will generally be offered the more prevalent positions toward the end of the carnival as reward and recognition for their engagement.

KP: On that note, who are some of the players that you are most looking forward to teaming up with, that you normally do not get an opportunity to play alongside in a SFA season?

TIF: I really hope we see Biggie make a comeback for State of Origin, it's been a turbulent relationship with the Sweet FA in recent seasons but he's always put that aside for WA and I hope we see that again in Series XVIII.

I'm looking forward to mixing it with some of the new additions to the squad, Falconista is probably one that stands out as one of the real up and coming stars in the league, but I honestly just love getting around the whole WA squad. We've built up some great relationships over a number of series now and we always gel really well when we get together for another carnival.

T24: I always enjoy the old guard, so Ljp86 and boncer34 both represent reunions I’m excited about. I’m hopeful we can also coax League stalwart Biggie into pulling on the boots once again at the truest of his homes. I’m also excited to see the wares of BLUEALLTHRU , Tonga Bob and MWPP whilst JoshWoodenSpoon always contributes strongly.

KP: Now let's take a look at the other state teams. Who do you see as your biggest rivals in this series and biggest threat to your title defense?

TIF: It's hard to look past South Australia. Undoubtedly the most successful state in the competition since the series return in SXIV, runners up last series after winning their third series title in SXVI... they've really been a constant in the deciders over a long period of time now. They're undergoing some transition, but they'll definitely be one to watch.

The Allies are the dark horse for mine. They have a pretty formidable squad and look to have a bit of a new set up in place with some steady hands behind the scenes. If they can quell the disquiet from within their northern ranks and galvanise the rooms, they could surprise a few this series.

T24: South Australia, they tend to be the best of the opposition to engage in state relevant banter and they obviously pushed us in the final last season. I can’t stomach losing to sausageroll .

KP: To bring us home, what is your fondest memory in your experience playing in State of Origin?

TIF: Can't really look past winning Series XVII together. It's been an absolute pleasure to lead the state and I am very honoured to once again lead us out with Tarks.

T24: I’ll offer two - my first series was great fun as the dominant players in the SFA at the time were predominantly West Australians so playing alongside the likes of Wally, Biggie, boncer, ljp and co was good fun. It’s rivalled by last series’ premiership though, which once again was underlined by really great contributions by a wonderful group of people that embraced the concept. WA of all states tends to really embrace the competition which is wonderful.
very yellow. it hurts the eyes. #WAexit

Graphics thanks to TheInjuryFactory
Vic Metro Captain - NaturalDisaster
The Vic Metro captain for State of Origin Series XVIII is former administrator NaturalDisaster. He is a recipient of the Frankston Rover Award, a 5-time All-SFA player who has finished in the top 20 of the Beez Trophy on 7 occasions and formerly captained the Fighting Furies to a grand final appearance. ND has also led Vic Metro to success in a previous State of Origin campaign, being the Vic Metro captain in the Series XV where Metro won. ND is truly an exponent of the 'best of the best' and is one of the most respected players in the SFA.

Vic Metro Vice-Captain - okeydoke7
NaturalDisaster has selected the legendary goalkicker and also another former administrator Okeydoke7. A Hall of Famer, Okey is one of the most prominent personalities in the league. Wherever he goes, an audience will follow, be it his adoring fans or most ardent detractors. His quest (and failure) to score 1000 goals in Season 35 was one of the biggest stories of the season. He is a Fred Medal winner, a 5-time All-SFA, a former administrator who overhauled the simming process, committee structure, pioneered the concept of charity games and a passionate advocate for State of Origin, okey will be a valuable asset for the Vic Metro origin campaign.

Vic Metro Captains Interview

View attachment 1715619
KP: Congratulations NaturalDisaster on being once again selected as the captain of the Vic Metro State of Origin team for Series XVIII, obviously this is a series that you have had a fair bit to do with. You've been a previous winning captain for Vic Metro in State of Origin, what is the significance of State of Origin to the SFA in your opinion?

ND: Significance of SoO is keeping a continued level of engagement during the off season so that interest doesn't wane. Not only this, but to get the chance to play with posters you would not usually post with.

It also provides extra oppurtunities for mediocre captains like myself to win flags

KP: The man you have handpicked as your vice-captain is just like you a former administrator, he's also kicked a few Qooty goals over the years - okeydoke7. How did you reach that decision and what do you expect Okey to bring to the table ahead of this campaign?

ND: I was in two minds for this decision. Do I go a younger, but inexperienced face like James Colorado (Likely a future Metro captain) or do I go an older, wiser (lol) experienced face?

I thought it was a bit harsh to throw someone only in their first series to the wolves like that, so I thought it was better to have a more experienced campaigner as my 2IC.

We all know Okey has a massive ego and I expect he will use this to energise the group and intimidate the opposition into submission.

KP: Okey congratulations on being selected as VC of the Vic Metro side. State of Origin is something that you are very passionate about, for the benefit of those going into their first series, could you explain what you most enjoy about the concept of the series?

OK: State of Origin is an opportunity to join forces with posters you’ve never played with and to play against some of your loyal teammates.

At its best, State of Origin is the best against the best. When the league buys in, it’s the best representatives in this competition putting on a show.

The banter is different too - location based banter comes into it and the different mix throws up some interesting match threads.

And of course, it keeps us going during the off-season!

KP: Is there any truth to ruours that you are campaigning behind the scenes to have any State of Origin goals you kick in this series added to your SFA career total so you get to 1000 goals as soon as possible?

OK: Those ruours started back when I was furious at how the last game played out. The Swamprats hierarchy have a lot to answer for - it was a chaotic and ridiculous scene.

But no, I’ll happily kick my 1000th in round 1. State of Origin should stand alone, which gives me the chance to celebrate my 1000th State of Origin goal in Season 249.

KP: Now onto Qooty, the Vic Metro side are viewed as underdogs going into this series. Somebody I know who shall remain nameless, let's call them "The White Possum" has labelled you 'a rag tag collection of geriatrics, failures, perennial losers and flogs captained by a walking meme'. What do the two of you say to the doubters of your Vic Metro side?

ND: Didn't we just win a series? Or was that the series before? * me, I'm turning into ClarkeM. I'm guessing this person is one of those who thinks only the most elite posters should be allowed to participate in SFA.

OK: I’d just tell them to get stuffed.

KP: Powerful response... which players are for Metro are you most looking forward to teaming up with, that you normally would not get the chance to play alongside?

ND: I quote enjoyed playing with posters such as PhenomenalV1, Proper Gander and cooney last time around, so it will be good to get that chance again.

OK: I love teaming up with ClarkeM. Oh wait a minute.

No, I’m looking forward to playing with James Colorado who I’ve enjoyed from afar and teaming up closely with NaturalDisaster

KP: Finally, for the both of you give us a personal highlight from State of Origin, this could be a Qooty moment or a memorable interaction in a match thread.

ND: The time I made manangatang melt stands out to me, even better than whatever series we won the flag.

OK: I’ve enjoyed captaining the club in past seasons. It should be the best of the best, and the chance to lead my peers as we join forces is pretty special.

Beauty

This will be my first series since (temporarily, of course) moving away from WA to live. And I’ve never been prouder to be West Aussie. Home is where the heart is.

South Australia Captain - sausageroll
Captaining the modern State of Origin powerhouse - South Australia in Series XVIII is the recently inducted Hall of Fame rookie sausageroll. A 500+ gamer and 6-time All-SFA, sausageroll is an incredibly decorated and admired figure the league having played in 3 premierships and recently starred in two successful State of Origin series for South Australia since the concept's return in 2019. The CV of sausageroll is extraordinary considering he is a rookie with no experience and captaining South Australia will no doubt help the cause in winning that elusive EKA Medal.

South Australia Vice-Captain - por_please_ya
Sausageroll has selected East Side co-captain por_please_ya to be his deputy for South Australia in Series XVIII. Por_please_ya is a star of the league with 4 All-SFA selections and has been a fixture in the South Australian juggernaut that has made all four State of Origin grand finals since the concept's return in 2019, with two title wins. She is elite in many vocations including minecraft, werewolf and Qooty which has made her a key player in maintaining SA's Origin dominance.

South Australia Captains Interview

View attachment 1715683
KP: Congratulations sausageroll on being selected as the captain of the South Australian State of Origin team for Series XVIII. An obvious choice for someone recently inducted Hall of Fame despite being a rookie with no experience. A lot of expectation on your shoulders taking over a South Australia state side that has played in every grand final since we brought back the series. The concept has had a long, storied history, in your view, how significant is the State of Origin series to the landscape of the SFA?

SR: I've always enjoyed the State of Origin series. It gives you a chance to play alongside people that are usually your opposition.
I also grew up at a time where state games were played regularly in real life leagues thaat were more relevant prior to the creation of the SFA. I stil have a long sleeved wool SA guernsey with #2 on it.

KP: You have selected por_please_ya as your vice-captain for South Australia. Tell us how you came to that choice and what do you expect porps to bring to the table.

SR: There were a few players on the SA list who would be great choices as captains and vice captains of the team but to be honest, porps just felt like the right choice from the start.
She's a popular member of the SFA and has leadership experience. I'm hoping she'll bring a bit of energy to the team and play a part in generating activity within the squad and go on to captain the SA side in the future.

KP: Porps congratulations on being the vice-captain of the South Australia State of Origin side. You've taken on the co-captaincy at the Phoenix for the first time this season and now you are the VC of South Australia which is clearly quite a rapid rise. What does it mean to you to be able to play a part in leading such an elite group of players into a State of Origin campaign?

PO: Thanks KP, it's an honour to be leading alongside sausageroll for the SA team this season. We have been business partners for a couple of years with the Sausageroll Bakery in Sweet, so it only makes sense to be Qooty partners as well. It means a lot to be representing my home-state; we're going to bring a lot of energy and passion and most importantly, frog cakes, Farmers Union Iced Coffee, and FruChocs.

KP: South Australia under the previous leadership of spookism has been an extremely successful outfit in recent years, competed in four grand finals for two wins. What do you two put such consistent success down to and who are the key players that will be important in taking you guys to the ultimate success once again?

SR: I think there were a couple of good captains over that period, but spookism was probably my favourite SA captain of all I've played under.

SA has always been the most under-rated state and has always proven the doubters wrong. This season will be no different and we're determined to continue to continue the level of success that's been achieced in recent times.

PO: Spook's inspired leadership certainly helped, and not letting those Mexicans over the border get to us. I think players like MP_ and croweater 41 will be absolutely critical to our success again this SoO season.

KP: On that note, who are some of the players that you rarely get to team up with, that you are most looking forward to lining up alongside?

SR: In Season 35 I supported whoever was playing against the Demons throughout the entire season so technically I had the opportunity to team up with all of my fellow South Australians at least once over the past few months.
It's been a while since I played alongside sante though so I'm looking forward to that.

PO: Looking forward to being on the same team with the likes of Pugsley, philreich and dogs105, and of course the magnificent GreyCrow.

KP: Finally, for the both of you, give us a personal highlight from the State of Origin series in years gone by.

SR: Personally, the gighlight was spookism playing me at full forward in a season where we won the State of Origin. I've never really had that opportunity in the past and ended up leading the goal kicking i the minor rounds and won the BOG medal in the grand final.
I probably kicked more goals in that State of Origin series than okeydoke7 did in the whole of Season 35

PO: Definitely the first SoO I participated in where we won the GF. It was absolutely epic! I'll never forget holding the trophy aloft my head with my teammates. The memories of that day have never left me, including the parmi I had at the pub after the game - it was the best ever!

That is ghastly.

No Way What GIF by The Swoon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back