Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

The record is 61 by North Melbourne vs. Essendon in 1960.
If you look at page 121 of Stats Observations you will see I have made a post about scores of 55 or more where the final score was less than 100.

Cheers Worbod.

I wish I saw Leigh Matthews play live. His stats are ridiculous. Nearly 1000 goals from the midfield?! Good lord. Can people in this thread vouch for how amazing he was?

I wish I saw Leigh Matthews play live. His stats are ridiculous. Nearly 1000 goals from the midfield?! Good lord. Can people in this thread vouch for how amazing he was?
The only VFL game I saw him play live was the 1985 Grand Final, which happened to be his last game! I may have seen him in a state game or two, but I don't remember. Being from SA I (mostly) only saw a bit of him on television.

The only VFL game I saw him play live was the 1985 Grand Final, which happened to be his last game! I may have seen him in a state game or two, but I don't remember. Being from SA I (mostly) only saw a bit of him on television.

I guess by live I do mean on TV to an extent. More so 'in the era'. I unfortunately wasn't born when he was in his playing days!

How many VFL Best and Fairest votes (I think it's the Liston Medal?) did Andy Krakouer get. I know one season in 2013 he finished 3rd with 12 votes.

I actually think a lot of the "greatest player ever" stuff is the result of revisionism. No doubt whatsoever he was one of the very best players of his day, for a long period. Also a constant threat to life and limb! Was as dirty as he was good. And he was very good. ;)

Here's the 9 cases I have found:-
View attachment 167108

Was at one of those games. I think the game Wayne Johnston kicked 5 goals we won by 137 points. Start of season and we also had Warren Ralph on debut at full forward. I think Johno gave him a few lace out on chest. Ralph kicked 9 goals on debut from memory. Might also have been Justin Madden first game with Carlton after being traded to us from Essendon in off season.

I actually think a lot of the "greatest player ever" stuff is the result of revisionism. No doubt whatsoever he was one of the very best players of his day, for a long period. Also a constant threat to life and limb! Was as dirty as he was good. And he was very good. ;)

I agree, he was as dirty as he was good.
When I started watching footy Leigh Matthews was more playing up forward than midfield. If you kept him below 4 goals you'd probably take it.
I did not consider him best player but he was one of the best at time along with Robbie Flower, Malcolm Blight and Alex Jesaulenko although Jezza was well over 30 at this stage and in last few years essentially captain coach at Carlton and then St.Kilda.
Gary Wilson of Fitzroy and Bernie Quinlan were all stars then. The Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett and Greg Williams shows were about to start of next batch of stars. Gary Abeltt played with Matthews at Hawks in about 1982 v Carlton. Incredible some of the talent the top 3 or 4 could have then in same team. You could have 6 to 8 serious guns in one team. Now the best teams have no more than 2 or 3. The cost of expanding from 12 teams to 18.

Was at one of those games. I think the game Wayne Johnston kicked 5 goals we won by 137 points. Start of season and we also had Warren Ralph on debut at full forward. I think Johno gave him a few lace out on chest. Ralph kicked 9 goals on debut from memory. Might also have been Justin Madden first game with Carlton after being traded to us from Essendon in off season.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1984/031219840331.html

Lucky you for being there! Johnston was just a brilliant player, obviously well known for performing in big games. It was indeed Ralph's debut, but Madden started with Carlton a year earlier. He kicked a handy 5 goals in this game.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Justin_Madden.html

North had Dempsey, Dench, the Krakouer brothers and Schimmelbusch playing for them, seemingly a reasonable side. So an amazing scoreline, with Carlton registering their biggest ever win (at the time), and finishing on 199 points.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1984/031219840331.html

Lucky you for being there! Johnston was just a brilliant player, obviously well known for performing in big games. It was indeed Ralph's debut, but Madden started with Carlton a year earlier. He kicked a handy 5 goals in this game.

Yeah, was more hazy on when exactly Madden started but I do remember it was a game at Waverley Park too around that time.
Johnston was my favourite player to watch so loved every match I saw him play.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Justin_Madden.html

North had Dempsey, Dench, the Krakouer brothers and Schimmelbusch playing for them, seemingly a reasonable side. So an amazing scoreline, with Carlton registering their biggest ever win (at the time), and finishing on 199 points.

Yeah, well the amazing thing was the previous season I am fairly sure I remember going to a big match at Arden street between Carlton and North, expecting a great game and we played a shocker and from memory lost by 111 points. North had Glendinning , Keith Greig and I imagine Gary Dempsey might have still been playing then. Phil Carman also played for North for a year or two in early 80's. Do not think that game. These Carlton and North sides at the time would have destroyed any idea of salary caps. It was exciting to goto games between top teams and see so much talent on display. Harder for the best players then do get the 3 Brownlow votes than it is now where talent spread across so many games and clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong finished 5th with a 15-7 record in 2012 before surreptitiously being bounced from the Finals by Freo that year. Not sure too many others have missed out on a double chance with 15 wins.

West Coast was 1-51 at qtr time today. Has a grand finalist ever lost any H&A quarter by 50 points?

This has probably been done before but I'm after an update -

Isaac Smith is now 17-0 at York Park.

What's best undefeated run at venues of current players & past players?

Following on from this thread, when was the last time every finalist had won at least three home & away games against other finalists? Difficult query with my database, perhaps someone else has it ...

This is just for curiosity. I'm not sure if it can be answered.

Which group of 22 players (since 1998 when the fourth interchange was introduced) have played the most games together for a club, and how many did they play together? It doesn't have to be consecutive matches.

If I had to guess, I would say the record is under 10 games together and it would be an good, experienced team, perhaps coached by Ross Lyon?

What's the lowest percentage for a minor premier?

And the highest percentage by a team finishing 3rd after the home and away season?

Are those records under threat this year?
Best record and percentage for a side finishing 5th and 6th?
Since the 22 game home and away season was introduced in 1970...

* 1998 North Melbourne are the minor premier with the lowest percentage (117.4).
Freo are currently at 125.1% and would need to lose 0-95 to slip below North's percentage.

* 1989 Geelong have the best percentage of a third placed team (146.8).
Hawthorn are currently at 156.8% and seem certain to surpass Geelong's percentage.

* 2013 Richmond, 2012 West Coast and 1996 Carlton all finished 15-7 and fifth place on the ladder.

2011 Carlton (14-1-7) have the best percentage of a fifth placed team (130.9).

*2012 Geelong finished 15-7 and sixth place on the ladder.

2003 Adelaide have the best percentage of a sixth placed team (120.5).

Determine your own cut-off year (I don't particularly care for pre-WWI and often pre-WWII stats):

List of coaches with 10 or less games coached:
- to coach a final
- to win a final

Of course, Scott Camporeale (10 games inc. Elimination Final) will join one or both of those lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back