Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

He hadn't offered a great deal until now and had a heap of injuries. With a new coach turning over the list i would not be surprised if he was. I'm pretty sure many on here were calling for his head at the start of the season.

I still want us to have 2 of West/Martin/Bergs going at the same time so we can get an idea about how these guys can go playing that ruck/forward spot. Martin is a lot bigger than he was last year. I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes from the goal square for a prolonged period. Especially with his ability to compete at ground level.

I think we recruited him thinking: "Forward/Ruck, mostly forward, will give us a target!" but the reality is hes a Ruck. He is a strong bodied, extra midfielder Ruck that we have missed since Hudson left to Collingwood.

Both him+West will be a better combo than Martin/Burger.

I think we recruited him as an agile, mobile running ruck, same as he played at Melbourne. Seen as a hopeful replacement for Clark. Just what he looks to be doing now.

Has been fantastic since his return. I had thought he may get the chop at the end of this season (although its not like we don't always need every ruck we have year on year) but am glad to have been proven wrong.

Personally I think we should celebrate the fact that he has proved most of us wrong (although its only a small sample) rather than pick out people who doubted him when he came on board. Now I wasn't necessarily scathing of what we gave up for him but I certainly wasn't jumping through hoops. Don't get criticism mixed up with ill will. I wish every player on our list came out and did the same, pretty sure Dylan12 is no different.

I definitely bemoaned the wisdom of us acquiring him, which I'm sure you would have realised had you bothered reading that, but sure, disparage away.
So in other words he was a dud pick up at the time (your thoughts) and now the club is going to struggle to keep him? Give some credit Dylan, he's repaid the faith and now looks like extending his career with us. Not everything has to be a negative.

So in other words he was a dud pick up at the time (your thoughts) and now the club is going to struggle to keep him? Give some credit Dylan, he's repaid the faith and now looks like extending his career with us. Not everything has to be a negative.

So in other words, you didn't bother reading my comments in the other thread which I happily I admitted I was wrong and was singing his praises.

Yep, so negative.:rolleyes:

I'm very happy for Stef. Too often we see a player with limited natural ability succumb to injury and form issues, never to be seen again.

This dude has picked himself up, worked supremely hard on his deficiencies, got himself fit again finally and grasped this last opportunity with both hands.

Much respect for this guy.

He'd be getting a 2-3 year contract slipped in front of him for a healthy sum Id suspect.

Yeah, probably around the $750K over 3 seasons mark.

Still only 27 so his next three seasons should be his best as a ruckman :thumbsu: as long as the injuries stay away :confused:

Only played the 68 games in 7 seasons so Burton & co. will have to tick the required boxes before we offer a long term contract.

Still only 27 so his next three seasons should be his best as a ruckman :thumbsu: as long as the injuries stay away :confused:

Only played the 68 games in 7 seasons so Burton & co. will have to tick the required boxes before we offer a long term contract.

He'll be looking for around 380k on current form imo.Will be interesting if management plays chicken.Will the purple patch continue or will a few stinkers be on the horizon ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very happy for Stef. Too often we see a player with limited natural ability succumb to injury and form issues, never to be seen again.

This dude has picked himself up, worked supremely hard on his deficiencies, got himself fit again finally and grasped this last opportunity with both hands.

Much respect for this guy.

:thumbsu:

It is worth noting that Stefan did not start playing AFL until he was 19 - and only played his first senior AFL game for Melbourne 6 years ago, round 1 - 2008 versus Lions.

Seems some people can be far too quick to post an 'opinionated' summation on limited information – kudos to them Dylan12 when they back track but... again for the benefit of being taken seriously, I ask if people are going take the effort to share their thoughts/opinions, maybe back them up with some substance.

“I only took up football when I was 19 and it took me a while to understand what a good game of footy looks and feels like.”
- http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Big-Stefan-wants-ruck-spot/70911

[but I'm sure I'll still read 'he's a dud' posts linked to Archie Smith in the near future... rolls eyes, turns around and walks away]

Watching live, I had Martin BOG last week. I don't really watch the stats at the game so probably didn't appreciate how much footy Hanley had so I might have changed my mind on that front.

But watching Martin live, three things stood out for me.

One was his tap work which was at times sublime. He absolutely destroyed Smith in that first quarter and put the ball on a platter for the midfield.

The second was that he competed like a midfielder when the ball hit the ground, often winning a clearance or at least contributing to it through his physicality.

Lastly, his movement was elite, with a workrate that I've only seen from Cox in terms of ruckmen. He constantly presented as a target - at one point, he worked from one back flank to the opposite forward flank just to give a teammate a lead to kick to.

I certainly accept that Hanley's game was one for the ages but, bugger me, Martin played a remarkable game - possibly one of the best rucking performances I've seen in a Brisbane jumper.

Martin is always moving, always offering a lead. He works very hard around the ground and his opponent can rarely go with him. It is something you appreciate live at the ground, you notice how often he leads and doesnt get used, but he just keeps presenting.

WLastly, his movement was elite, with a workrate that I've only seen from Cox in terms of ruckmen. He constantly presented as a target - at one point, he worked from one back flank to the opposite forward flank just to give a teammate a lead to kick to.
This is what struck me most. The rest I'd picked up from tele. The number of times he presented on a well-timed 100m lead only to be shunned was phenomenal. I found myself getting annoyed because his hard work wasn't being honoured often enough, even as his opponent lagged off him.

This is what struck me most. The rest I'd picked up from tele. The number of times he presented on a well-timed 100m lead only to be shunned was phenomenal. I found myself getting annoyed because his hard work wasn't being honoured often enough, even as his opponent lagged off him.

I think its mostly because our players are not used to having someone athletic enough like him to get out there and offer that sort of lead, they havnt quite identified it yet to use it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back