Traded Stefan Martin (2012-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

A trade similar to the Patfull trade could still be an option if we got the right offer.

A trade similar to the Patfull trade could still be an option if we got the right offer.

Difference there is, we dont really have any young rucks who can step straight in. Patfulls role was something Paps, Dizzy or Dawson could have cracks at without hurting our structure TOO much.

Difference there is, we dont really have any young rucks who can step straight in. Patfulls role was something Paps, Dizzy or Dawson could have cracks at without hurting our structure TOO much.

And we have West and possibly Leuey. It's also not difficult to get a mature, competent ruckman. If Stef indicates he may look to return to Melbourne we might be best off looking to trade him this year. Especially if Leuey isn't going to get us a band 1 compensation pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Players' MVP: Our Nominees

Three Lions have been nominated as finalists for the AFL Players’ Most Valuable Player.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin and Dayne Zorko all received the highest votes among their Brisbane teammates.

After an outstanding second half of 2014, Stefan Martin carried his impressive form into the new year, averaging more hitouts (31 per game) than ever, while still getting plenty of the ball.

The 28-year-old former Demon has averaged 21 disposals per game in his third season at Brisbane; his ability to bring midfielders such as Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff and Daniel Rich into the game has ensured he’s remained one of the Lions’ most valuable players.

Three Lions In Team of the Week

AFL writer Nathan Schmook has named the AFL Team of the Week for Round 23 and three Lions have made the cut:

STEFAN MARTIN (Follower) - The outstanding ruckman in round 23, Martin was dominant both at stoppages and around the ground with 50 hit-outs and 32 possessions. He had an equal team-high eight clearances and seven inside 50s in a complete performance.

Crazy to think he was a Melbourne Demons reject and was on the path to delistment before he made the most of his opportunity as the last option with Leuy and West going down in 2014. Since then he has transformed himself into a consistent, ruckman/extra midfielder and he is one of the best ruckman in the league. He deserved to be one of the Bnf winners this year and I hope he remains with the club next year and beyond. Deserves a lot of credit for the way he played this year.

Our 2015 Club Champions

Out of a challenging season, a record four Lions have emerged as recipients of the Merrett-Murray Medal.

Dayne Beams, Stefan Martin, Mitch Robinson and Dayne Zorko were awarded joint Medallists at the annual Club Champion awards dinner this evening.

Stefan Martin has had a consistent season, earning praise as one of the competition’s best big men over the past 12 months, averaging 32.5 hit outs and 21 disposals from 20 matches in 2015.

Martin’s season was rewarded further when he received the Members’ Player of the Year.

Ruckman Martin likely to remain with Lions

STEFAN Martin is still weighing up his future, but says he'll likely stay with the Brisbane Lions in 2016.

Martin is contracted for next year, but is considering a return to Melbourne for personal reasons.

The imposing ruckman had a stellar season and was one of four players – alongside Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko and Mitch Robinson – to share the Merrett-Murray Medal as the Lions' best and fairest on Saturday night.

Zorko, another player suggested to be looking elsewhere, confirmed he would be at the Gabba next year.

But for Martin, the decision is a little tougher, saying it is not as clear-cut as simply staying at a club he loves.

"I've got some life circumstances going on and that's the only reason I'd want to leave the club," Martin said.

"(It's) unrelated to the club, nothing they've done, but sometimes life gets in the way.

"At this stage it's looking like I'll be at the Lions, not 100 per cent, but that's where it's at, at the moment."

It's believed the club is trying to extend the 28-year-old's tenure with a longer-term deal.

"I do love the club, but it's just weighing up life's priorities," Martin said.

"There's a huge part of me that would just love to be at this club next year."

In the latter stages of the season, clubs were told Zorko was 'gettable', such was his unrest.

However, the exciting midfielder said he had not spoken to any other club and was in no rush to extend the year he had remaining on his current contract at the Lions.

"If talks start when we get back, well I'm happy for that to happen, but I'm in no rush at the moment, (and) the club's in no rush," he said.

"I'll be here next year."

Out of contract midfielder James Aish has still not informed the club of his intentions for next year.

Stuff her acting career, she'll get a go on Home and Away if shes lucky otherwise she'll be doing Ads for shampoo or bowel medicine.

Word on the street is that she has been earmarked by some big-wigs for some fast-tracking to her career that is likely to see her not even having to make the step up from low grade Aussie soaps.

Word on the street is that she has been earmarked by some big-wigs for some fast-tracking to her career that is likely to see her not even having to make the step up from low grade Aussie soaps.
Which could mean a quick transition to Hollywood so we may lose Stef in a year or two anyways. I am sure a succession plan is in place beyond Archie & West. Witts from Collingwood or Tippett if they can work something out with the Swans perhaps.

Crazy to think he was a Melbourne Demons reject and was on the path to delistment before he made the most of his opportunity as the last option with Leuy and West going down in 2014. Since then he has transformed himself into a consistent, ruckman/extra midfielder and he is one of the best ruckman in the league. He deserved to be one of the Bnf winners this year and I hope he remains with the club next year and beyond. Deserves a lot of credit for the way he played this year.
To be fair, Stefan's best year for the Demons was when he was playing as the primary ruck. Many Demons fans would have preferred to keep him if he was playing in that position.

We saw a pretty significant improvement when he got onto the field at the Gabba :thumbsu: ( a bit like Crisp at the 'pies :thumbsdown:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back