aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
For those that watched Ch7 footy from 1979-86 you would be familiar with Stephen Phillips. He was most prominent in the Sterling Cup/Foster's Cup night games where he would get the boundary job with the likes of Jack Edwards or Peter Donnegan and interviewed players and coaches after games. In 1981 he hosted Fantastic Footy Flashbacks which aired for an hour after the night games with old footage of games.

In recent years he had helped produce many club videos and apparently had probably one of the biggest collections of football footage around as he was able to copy Ch7 material while he worked there. Let's hope that his collection is not lost with his passing.

Another link to my memories of watching 1980's footy is gone.

RIP Stephen

For those that watched Ch7 footy from 1979-86 you would be familiar with Stephen Phillips. He was most prominent in the Sterling Cup/Foster's Cup night games where he would get the boundary job with the likes of Jack Edwards or Peter Donnegan and interviewed players and coaches after games. In 1981 he hosted Fantastic Footy Flashbacks which aired for an hour after the night games with old footage of games.

In recent years he had helped produce many club videos and apparently had probably one of the biggest collections of football footage around as he was able to copy Ch7 material while he worked there. Let's hope that his collection is not lost with his passing.

Another link to my memories of watching 1980's footy is gone.

RIP Stephen

I know he did a lot of work on Geelong's club films.

Vale.

One of the great football voices, along with Peter Landy, Mike Williamson and these days Denis Commetti.
Phillips also voiced a lot of Collingwood video highlights over the years that our family has in our collection.
As OP said, there passes another voice from my childhood.

One of the great football voices, along with Peter Landy, Mike Williamson and these days Denis Commetti.
Phillips also voiced a lot of Collingwood video highlights over the years that our family has in our collection.
As OP said, there passes another voice from my childhood.
Stephen was also the voice over for the 1995 Carlton Premiership Season video. RIP.

A family friend who passed too young, he was 62 (I think).

Used to live around the corner from him, and he was always such a easy going laugh about bloke that was caring towards people.

RIP mate.

Stephen hosted the Williamstown Hall of Fame 150 year celebrations at Crown last year. He was a professional right to the end. RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back