Aussies Steve Hooker breaks 40 year drought for Australia getting gold in Pole Vault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
1968 were the last games we won a field event.

That gold came from no where. How good was it listening to the defeaning roar of the Chinese crowd in the stadium cheering him on for the Gold medal and Olympic record.

LJ Hooker move over - Steve Hooker youre the best!!

ok that corny i know :eek:

I saw it too! Awesome, I was getting pumped up!

and yes, as u said, fantastic to hear the whole crowd in the bird's nest cheering him on

olympic record too, just for a sweetener, after gold was already secured

1968 was the last time we won a male gold in athletics.

Hooker was third favourite for the event, but there were three athletes who you could pretty much raffle it between. Good to see him perform as we all knew he could- what a champ!

1968 were the last games we won a field event.

That gold came from no where. How good was it listening to the defeaning roar of the Chinese crowd in the stadium cheering him on for the Gold medal and Olympic record.

I beg to differ that it came from nowhere! Steve is in the top 5 in the world, along with Paul Burgess! But that said, Pole Vault is such a hit and miss event...it just has to be your day, which is was tonight for Steve!

Well done Steve Hooker! :thumbsu:

He was known. Was one of the favourites going into the World Champs last year, but bombed out. He would of been in the predicted top 3 for the Gold before these Games

^^^
Ukranian guy injured his ankle

Fantastic effort by old fanta pants:thumbsu:
7 sucks balls tho...the pole vault had been going since 10 and they decide to show it for 20mins at 12:10:thumbsdown:

Hooker also broke the Olympic record of 5.96 go you good thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for me this is the biggest story of the Australian Olympic team at these games, 40 years without a field gold medal for Australian men is a massive gap! awesome work Hooker!

:thumbsu:

How ****ing gutsy was that win? Four last chance clearances on the way to an Olympic record. Absolutely staggering performance on the planet's biggest stage.

Olympic gold to follow his Commonwealth gold... now just needs to ice the world champs next year for the trifecta.

Great for him.

I have liked him since the commonwealth games and all his family and friends there wearing shirts that said were here for the hooker.

He only just made it into the final with a clearance in his final jump in the Qualifiers didn't he?

Maybe he needs the pressure of a final jump to bring out the best in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back