Steve Turner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Greg Alexander on 2UE last night and he was saying that The Gold Coast are close to signing a certain player and when that's done they will let Turner play in Melbourne.

Heard Greg Alexander on 2UE last night and he was saying that The Gold Coast are close to signing a certain player and when that's done they will let Turner play in Melbourne.
There are a couple on the radar apparently. At least 1 English based player (not sure if actually English or Aus/NZ player wanting to return home) and I believe 1 union player for a convert (no, not Jonah).

The Gold Coast aren't a dumb adminstration. They stuffed up by not finalising the formalities of Turner's contract but they were always going to look for a solution beyond Turner sitting out for 3 years. However, I am looking forward to the half-arsed legal opinions stating that Turner's "victory" proves that there was no contract in the first place.

NRL blocks Turner plan
Mick Daly
November 17, 2006 11:00pm

THE NRL will not allow renegade winger Steve Turner to play for Melbourne next season.
The NRL has revealed it will not allow Turner to line up for the Storm even if a court declares his verbal agreement with the Gold Coast Titans invalid.
The 22-year-old agreed to a three-year-deal with the Titans in July before backflipping in August and signing another contract with the Storm.
He has previously indicated he would take the NRL to court to remain with the Storm and avoid sitting on the sidelines until 2010.
But NRL boss David Gallop yesterday claimed the game's governing body had full power in determining Turner's playing future – irrespective of what a court ruled.
"There's a purely black and white legal side to it and there's a notion of fairness, of what's fair, side to it," Gallop said. "We'd need to consider that if there was a court decision.
"We've got absolute discretion to not register a contract so we haven't considered (the possibility of Turner staying with Melbourne)."
Asked if that meant the NRL could ignore a court's decision and force Turner to either play with the Titans or not at all, Gallop replied: "Yes but obviously we would look very carefully at any court decision."
Gallop admitted the matter would be detrimental to the game if it was played out through the courts.
But he insisted the NRL was not about to change its stance and said he had even offered to meet with Turner in an attempt to resolve it.
"Any time this sort of thing reaches the court it can be damaging. Litigation is very expensive and it is to be discouraged," Gallop said.
"We would certainly encourage (Turner) to accept that he entered into an agreement with the Titans.
"He went on television and radio and said how much he was looking forward to (joining the Titans)."

Well he has kinda shot himself in the foot now. No chance of staying in Melbourne and unless he bites the bullet and swallows his pride, i can't see him lining up for the Titans.

Code switch perhaps? Maybe he's too small for Union at 75kg.

this whole thing is absurd.

I hope Turner takes the NRL to the cleaners over this. What sort of team wants a player that doesn't want to be there anyway? Crazy ********

NRL blocks Turner plan
Mick Daly
November 17, 2006 11:00pm

THE NRL will not allow renegade winger Steve Turner to play for Melbourne next season.
The NRL has revealed it will not allow Turner to line up for the Storm even if a court declares his verbal agreement with the Gold Coast Titans invalid.
The 22-year-old agreed to a three-year-deal with the Titans in July before backflipping in August and signing another contract with the Storm.
He has previously indicated he would take the NRL to court to remain with the Storm and avoid sitting on the sidelines until 2010.
But NRL boss David Gallop yesterday claimed the game's governing body had full power in determining Turner's playing future – irrespective of what a court ruled.
"There's a purely black and white legal side to it and there's a notion of fairness, of what's fair, side to it," Gallop said. "We'd need to consider that if there was a court decision.
"We've got absolute discretion to not register a contract so we haven't considered (the possibility of Turner staying with Melbourne)."
Asked if that meant the NRL could ignore a court's decision and force Turner to either play with the Titans or not at all, Gallop replied: "Yes but obviously we would look very carefully at any court decision."
Gallop admitted the matter would be detrimental to the game if it was played out through the courts.
But he insisted the NRL was not about to change its stance and said he had even offered to meet with Turner in an attempt to resolve it.
"Any time this sort of thing reaches the court it can be damaging. Litigation is very expensive and it is to be discouraged," Gallop said.
"We would certainly encourage (Turner) to accept that he entered into an agreement with the Titans.
"He went on television and radio and said how much he was looking forward to (joining the Titans)."
Gallops a moron, how is it fair to refuse to let him play if he is found legally to be able to play for the Storm. Hod did such a stupid man get so much power?

Foxsports

The saga continues.....

The Titans have offered to give Turner a release at the end of 2007 should he want to leave the club after 1 season. Turner and Storm management are due to meet with the NRL this week.
hehe, they're caving in.

F*cking amatuers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turner offers to pay Titans
Brad Walter
November 23, 2006

TUG-o-war NRL star Steve Turner yesterday offered to pay Gold Coast any extra money he earns by staying in Melbourne to release him during his first face-to-face meeting with Titans managing director Michael Searle.

After receiving a sympathetic hearing from NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday morning, Turner and his agent, David Riolo, flew to Brisbane to outline the reasons the 22-year-old Penrith junior wanted to renege on his three-year Titans deal.

The matter remains unresolved and Turner has refused to rule out going to court rather than report to Gold Coast training next Tuesday, but Riolo revealed the lengths he and Turner were going to to find a solution.

With proposals falling over for the Titans to take firstly Clint Greenshields then Adam Mogg as a replacement, Riolo said Turner had offered to pay the difference between his Gold Coast contract and the one he later signed with the Storm as compensation to allow him and partner Kate Novak to stay in Melbourne.

"I can categorically declare that this is not about money and it never has been," Riolo told the Herald. "Steve Turner would play for Melbourne for less money than his contract with the Titans and he said he would be willing to give them the difference as compensation. He said he would be willing to play for nothing to stay in Melbourne.

"He is not some young pup just suddenly doing a backflip. Steve and Kate have some personal reasons why they want to stay in Melbourne and the club has been very supportive of them."

Gallop urged Turner to plead his case in person to Searle.

But he said there was little the NRL could do and unless Turner was able to come to an arrangement with the Gold Coast he would not be allowed to play for any other club.

Source:smh

I know people have said that money is one of the primary reasons for his sudden backflip, but hopefully this will quell the doubters.

Love this kid, it's great to see loyalty of some form is still alive in League.

I know people have said that money is one of the primary reasons for his sudden backflip, but hopefully this will quell the doubters.

Not really. I don't believe money was the sole motivation but he wouldn't want to say anything else. What else would he say: "I want to play in Melbourne cos they offered be a ********load more money"? If he even breathes that money is a factor, he loses any support that he might have.

Love this kid, it's great to see loyalty of some form is still alive in League.

I hope you are being ironic. If he was so loyal, he wouldn't have talked to the Gold Coast in the first place, let alone reach an agreement and make public comments about how much he is looking forward to playing for tht Titans.

Loyalty is not a word I'd ascribe to him right now.

let the poor guy stay

he wants to live in melbourne

btw gold coast are release pritchard now for personal reasons

let the poor guy stay

he wants to live in melbourne

btw gold coast are release pritchard now for personal reasons
I suppose the NRL will have no hesitation registering Pritchard's contract when he signs for someone else. Hyprocritical gits.

Most of the victorian comments in this thread are hilarious. Some of you couldn't be any more ill-informed of the situation if you tried.

I suppose the NRL will have no hesitation registering Pritchard's contract when he signs for someone else. Hyprocritical gits.

PULETUA (Pritchard is the narky bench warmer at Penrith who clocked K.hunt in the ANZAC test) asked the club for a release, acknowledging that he had a binding agreement with the Titans. His partner got a primo gig in the entertainment industry down in the Sydney that a smaller market like SEQLD couldn't hope to match, she's earning more than him apparently!

Turner snubbed his agreement, signed a contract with the Storm that was ILLEGAL and has acted like a petulant child ever since.

The Result's are different when you've:
A) Got a legitimate reason for compassionate grounds.
B) You work with the club who you've got a contract with, instead of refusing to deal with it.

Turner should suck it up and accept his fate. Kudos to the Titans for showing some Cajones.

i agree

turner should honour his commitment

so steve will be in melbourne

thats the only deal he signed

Bushy, verbal or written, a agreement is a legally binding document. Turner is a A class idiot in this case by agreeing to terms verbally but he'll learn form this. But the more he carries on like a spoilt little brat, the less compassion he is going to get from anyone. Turner should be playing for the Titans for the next 3 yrs, if he doesn't too bad he has to sit out 3 yrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back