Steven May's mark - What will the AFL do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of disclaimers:
Not a whinging Saints fan.
I don't want May suspended.
I have brought this issue up before.

Last night Steven May took a great speccy on Zane Cordy.

Read it well, got the sit, love it.

However...

Zane Cordy was taken to the bench and subsequently failed a concussion test. He missed the rest of the game and will be out next week per AFL protocol around head injuries.

"So what?" I hear you ask.

Well the AFL have made it very clear that they are going to clamp down on any action that they believe was avoidable when it comes to head injuries/concussions.

We have seen the 'bump' change from the old school, Byron Pickett style "take a bloke out" tactic to now being almost non existent.

We are currently in the middle of tackling being given a complete overhaul with players being sighted for pinning arms, double movements, spinning and swinging etc

So, with Steven May's mark in mind; Do we think the AFL will do anything about the speccy? Will the AFL deem May's choice to raise his knee as "reckless" and actually suspend him for taking a hanger?

We could argue all day that it's "part of the game", but the same could have been said about bumping and tackles.

Again, I'll reiterate, I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS BANNED.

My fear though is that the AFL are going down a path that in 3... 5... 10... years' time will end up with what May did will actually being a penalty rather than a highlight.

Anyone else feel the same?

Couple of disclaimers:
Not a whinging Saints fan.
I don't want May suspended.
I have brought this issue up before.

Last night Steven May took a great speccy on Zane Cordy.

Read it well, got the sit, love it.

However...

Zane Cordy was taken to the bench and subsequently failed a concussion test. He missed the rest of the game and will be out next week per AFL protocol around head injuries.

"So what?" I hear you ask.

Well the AFL have made it very clear that they are going to clamp down on any action that they believe was avoidable when it comes to head injuries/concussions.

We have seen the 'bump' change from the old school, Byron Pickett style "take a bloke out" tactic to now being almost non existent.

We are currently in the middle of tackling being given a complete overhaul with players being sighted for pinning arms, double movements, spinning and swinging etc

So, with Steven May's mark in mind; Do we think the AFL will do anything about the speccy? Will the AFL deem May's choice to raise his knee as "reckless" and actually suspend him for taking a hanger?

We could argue all day that it's "part of the game", but the same could have been said about bumping and tackles.

Again, I'll reiterate, I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS BANNED.

My fear though is that the AFL are going down a path that in 3... 5... 10... years' time will end up with what May did will actually being a penalty rather than a highlight.

Anyone else feel the same?

May’s mark and Rohan’s bump on teammate, Cameron, just go to show how farcical the interpretation of rules is.

OP hasn’t sooked at all and the people who’s responses suggest he did, would be better addressing his point than making up what motive he has for posting it
I was a bit surprised by the hate too. May's mark was legal and awesome but I don't see why we can't speculate about what will happen to the future of speccies as lawyers and insurance companies start clamping down on concussion in sports.

I was a bit surprised by the hate too. May's mark was legal and awesome but I don't see why we can't speculate about what will happen to the future of speccies as lawyers and insurance companies start clamping down on concussion in sports.
If it gets to that point, then AFL is finished, boxing is finished, most contact sports are finished.

Surely the courts take into account that athletes have to be aware of the chances of getting injured.

OP’s point is totally legit and anyone who can’t see that is thick. I’ve raised it on here before as well, regarding the massive hit Curtis Taylor wore.

It’s happened again here.

May had no intent to hit or injure, yet that is no defence as the AFL continue to tell us.

As for the potential danger, well running knees are often far more dangerous than other incidents because the player is often running at speed, unseen from behind, toward a stationary opponent and carrying a huge amount of force. The outcome could quite simply be fatal.

It’s a huge worry.

Geez if they ban the speccie that would take away the most marketable aspect of the game.

Surely they will try to kick that can down the road for as long as they can.

Geez if they ban the speccie that would take away the most marketable aspect of the game.

Surely they will try to kick that can down the road for as long as they can.

There are plenty of hangers that dont lead with the knee to the back of the head.

AFL made a studs up interpretation/rule change after Toby, could see something similar happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP’s point is totally legit and anyone who can’t see that is thick. I’ve raised it on here before as well, regarding the massive hit Curtis Taylor wore.

It’s happened again here.

May had no intent to hit or injure, yet that is no defence as the AFL continue to tell us.

As for the potential danger, well running knees are often far more dangerous than other incidents because the player is often running at speed, unseen from behind, toward a stationary opponent and carrying a huge amount of force. The outcome could quite simply be fatal.

It’s a huge worry.
100%.

The thing is though, it's only a huge worry because of the AFL's stupidity around Concussion and their position on 'careless' actions, and suspending guys for accidental footy contact.

So he was just performing a legitimate football act?

Same as attempting to spoil, tackle or bump?
He was taking a mark. Which required him to leave the ground to do so. I’m not convinced he could take that mark without putting the knee out to gain the required elevation. Organise he continues running forward and probably can spoil his opponent at best.
Are you suggesting we ban the
Speccy?

Yeah this is sort of my point.

In 10 years' time if Cordy joins a class action against the AFL and points to this incident what are they gonna do?

It's a great mark but I legitimately think the AFL are gonna come out with "You can fly for a mark but if you hurt someone it's a suspension" soon.
No way AFL do that. We now have concussion protocols. Players who were concussed previously we put back out even after being out cold. AFL now we’ll aware of CTE AND doing all they can to protect themselves from being sued.

Luke Jackson's knee to the back of Adam Saad's head today was worse.

He was taking a mark. Which required him to leave the ground to do so. I’m not convinced he could take that mark without putting the knee out to gain the required elevation. Organise he continues running forward and probably can spoil his opponent at best.
Are you suggesting we ban the
Speccy?
Yes.

Either that, or the AFL and the players accept that getting concussed is just part of the game.

You can basically do anything, including kneeing someone in the head, as long as you take a mark. Strange quirk of our game.

Back