Other Strategy, Playbooks, Schemes, Formations, Tactics, Coaching & Philosophy

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 28, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the great things about gridiron is the strategy and tactical aspect of the game. I thought I'd make this a thread that encompasses all aspects relating to strategy such as playbooks, schemes, formations, tactics, systems, coaching, philosophy etc. whatever floats your boat. I'm old school and still like to flick through the pages of a book so as a starter I’d like to share some old strategy books I‘ve still got in my possession and recommend to anyone interested in this kind of thing. Hopefully others can do the same whether it's books or through other sources. Of course there’s a load more info on the net.

This is by no means the be-all-and-end-all post on such strategy topics, so anything to do with the strategy side of the game is welcome, as I've found there's little on the forum. Though it’s probably best to leave the beginner, youth, newbie etc. stuff for the Football 101 thread. There is actually a brief section in 101 with links to various playbooks though these are very much youth orientated. While the internet provides plenty of info, anyone can google and come up with something. Need to sort the trash from the treasure. Likewise, if recommending books it's probably best to have actually read and witnessed first hand instead of just listing any random book that seems appealing since they aren’t free. Quality vs quantity. Anyway here are some great books that I recommend. I’ll give a quick guide below

2ce2b6a.jpg

Amazon.com has all these books (plus many more) and allows you to view the contents, first few pages, covers etc. (except for Football Offenses and Plays which is only a recent publication. I can scan any pages and post it if anybody's interested). Some of these are also covered on Google Books which mostly gives a preview of the ‘guts’ of the books, which complements the Amazon preview nicely. Most are about $15 to purchase. Click on the title for a link to the corresponding Amazon site.

General-

Football Coaching Strategies - good all-round book covering offense, defense, special teams, philosophy

Offense-

Football's Best Offensive Playbook - simple book focussing only on offensive plays with limited discussion. Not strictly a playbook but more of a complimentary playbook. Also has a special plays section (reverses, throwbacks, trick etc.)

Offensive Football Strategies – very thorough covering a large range of topics

Football Offenses and Plays – similar to OFS. Not nearly as many topics but is more in depth in what it does cover, see google books for contents

Defense-

Defensive Football Strategies - very similar to its offensive equivalent but focuses solely on defense, plus has a larger philosophy section

While coaches would get the most out of these books, there's still plenty of appeal for anyone interested in the strategy side of the game. But since they are aimed at coaches they're not really suited for beginners and will better suit more advanced fans who already have an understanding of how plays/offenses work. Although the more advanced may yearn for more modern playbooks eg. west coast (not covered at all – see later), spread offenses (very minimal) etc. Sections including coach-specific elements like position drills, weight training, coaching management etc. are at a minimum however.

All are produced by the AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) except for “Football’s Best Offensive Playbook”, meaning they have credibility and a vast range of authors all of whom have coached successfully in mostly the college ranks, but also NFL. Basically every chapter of every book is written by a different coach which makes for interesting reading since you get a range of different writing styles, perspectives, ideas, etc.

It should be noted that although the defensive football strategies book has a recent publication it still only covers older systems. It’s quite hard to find modern defensive books. People in the know (coaches) are perhaps just too busy and secretive at this point in time. Also I’d say defensive strategies aren’t considered as sexy as the offensive side.

But I still think the ‘old’ systems and plays are still relevant and will continue to be so, for (a) casual fans or students of the game who might become enlightened on the old play styles which were more run orientated, conservative etc. Not to mention the timeless fundamentals and philosophies. And (b) though it’d be more beneficial to employ or at least become familiar with systems such as the WC, spread, wildcat etc, any potential coaches may still benefit from either installing or using as wrinkles in existing newer systems to act as weapons of surprise.

Just finally, here are some more that look interesting which I don’t have so can't exactly recommend (though I recommend further investigation):

r2koeg.jpg

Offense-

Coaching the Multiple West Coast Offense
By Ron Jenkins
Many very good reviews, modern

Defense-

Coaching Football's 46 Defense
By Rex Ryan and Jeff Walker
Many good reviews, co-written by Rex Ryan. ‘nuff said

Developing a Defensive Game Plan
By Kenny Ratledge
Quite new, no reviews, 350 pages but large part strictly for coaching purposes (judging by contents)

General-

Coaching Football
By Tom Flores and Bob O'Connor
Fairly new, hard to judge who it’s aimed at since it states from ‘youth to pro’ but reviews tend to lean to the former. Perhaps an all-round book in both topic and audience, I'm not sure.

Re: Understanding DL "techniques" and "gaps"

well done GG...you're really burning the midnight oil with busting your obligation to being the GOD of MODS! :thumbsu:

Keep it coming.. the newbies can grasp these 'free lessons' and appreciate the
underappreciated battles that goes on in 'the pit'.

Although Reggie White cut his teeth at DE with the Philadelphia Eagles, still rates as #1 DE in my time following the NFL.

AAHA142_8x10-2006HallOfFame~Reggie-White-Posters.jpg

Thanx for the Memories R.I.P. Reggie.

I'll also need to find an article about the differences between 3-4 1-Gap systems and 3-4 2-Gap systems. lol.

The 3-4 1-Gap is often called the "Phillips 3-4" because Bum Phillips and Wade Phillips pioneered it.

In very quick layman's terms, 1-gap is essentially the DLmen shooting the gap they're responsible for, so they generate more pressure, hurries, sacks. While 2-gap is more about read-reacting, and eating up blockers, allowing other defenders (LBs) to do all the pressuring, hurrying, and sacking.

The thing is, 3-4 is synonymous with 2-gap, so a 3-4 1-gap system is quite interesting.

Also, that will have an effect on the personnel you utilize. For instance, in a 3-4, some teams use three DTs, instead of 1 DT and 2 DEs, because they're about the 2-gap, about occupying space, rather than shooting the space.

Great article gg. As a defensive coordinator for a team here in Adelaide, I have truly come to appreciate the importance of the line, especially the tackles. Dominant tackle play opens up many options for attacking the QB via blitz or shutting down the run. I rotate up to 8 guys through my 4-3 (sometimes 4-4) defence to ensure we have fresh speed and pressure coming from the middle of the box.

Play quite a bit of 1-gap but also give some of my more experienced lineman 2-gap reads, depending on a blitz location, etc.

thx neddy.
and seeing as youre a DC, then it would be great to have YOU actually write a big long post on BF detailing more defensive strategy and tactics you use for us to read about etc. and can even hold Q&A sessions with you here in a Neddy Q&A thread.

the thing about football that's so good is all the battles going on the field at the one time, the trenches, the lbs vs rbs, the wrs vs dbs, the qb vs the ss/fs, etc.

but one of the most often under-appreciated battles by casual observers, fans, is the trenches. that's just such a great on-going battle on every play. it's easy to ball watch gridiron as a spectator or casual fan, but i love reading the OL/DL formations, the shifts, etc and watch that a lot thru a game. other times i'll focus on the wr-cb battles etc. it's good to always change your viewing perspective just to learn more about the game etc.

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. The man in question was responsible for the frequently good Buffalo ST over the past five or so years, as well as the brainchild behind the Steelers successful onside kick in SB XXX. He’ll be good for you I hate to say it. You have to love those special teams coaches who are innately passionate, slightly eccentric and resemble mad scientists. A favourite of mine who fits this description was Joe Avezzano, ST coach for Dallas throughout the 90’s.

Just to continue on from where I left off in this thread, I might suggest a few websites as opposed to the plethora of hard print initially outlined. Firstly I can recommend the website CoachHuey which is basically the internet equivalent of my original post. However it is a forum so there’s a bit to wade through and some searching skills won’t go astray. Covers all the main topics in offense, defense, ST like playcalling, schemes, philosophy and much more. It’s been around for almost five years and has over 20,000 members so there’s an abundance of info.

There’s also an abundance of actual real life playbooks freely available on the web which are predominantly taken from college programs, and a handful taken from the pro game too. While there is an interest factor as far as seeing such first hand info, I think as far as discussion and tactics they are quite limited. Playbook Exchange has plenty including ST, as well as articles and a good video section.

Another blog that I’ve only recently stumbled across is Everything Football which is only relatively new and not loaded with info, but it has some stuff worth checking out. Some of the latest entries are on the Air Raid offense, Mesh passing concept and the Florida Gators running game just to mention a few.

How To Video Links

This is a neat site for just about anything, from cooking to fixing cars, etc.

There's a lot of good video guides here about football too....everything from how to do things like tackle, pass, carry, to running formations and gap responsibilities, etc.

----------------------

Good videos from a Div-I coach on how to run the 4-3...

----------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brings tears to the eye

Hey, one year later Zarko.. (literally also) I'm still pinching myself... it's something both of us will rate as possibly one of our finest moments as a fan..
the EUPHORIA of not only winning it but how it comes about... that's just spine tingling... funny how both Supabah heroes are suddenly gone tho'. :(

NFL = Not For Long.

Came across this site on another forum and thought you guys might like it. A whole lot of cool documents including playbooks (many different teams), mini camp info, scouting reports etc. You could be here for hours reading this stuff, good for noobs and experts alike. Very interesting stuff...

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/prooffense/index.php

Some great content there, thanks for the link. But the Dallas offense circa 2001, (in fact anything to do with the Campo days for that matter) can stay un-downloaded as far as I'm concerned

Unfortunately the '66 Packers file seems to be corrupt, but for anyone interested there is a recent publication (less than a year old) called The Vince Lombardi Playbook which contains Lombardi's plays and strategies, as well as photo's, momentos, scouting reports, speeches etc. Unfortunately amazon and google books don't have any 'inside' info but I'm sure it would be a beauty. Perhaps I'll be the guinea pig...one day.

2u9pbbs.jpg

Came across this site on another forum and thought you guys might like it. A whole lot of cool documents including playbooks (many different teams), mini camp info, scouting reports etc. You could be here for hours reading this stuff, good for noobs and experts alike. Very interesting stuff...

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/prooffense/index.php
Thanx Redragger.

Steelers 2004 don't show up. But I've checked out others and boy, you wonder how the rookies can cope with not only remembering where to go but making plays early in the season to hold their spot. Mind blow. And obviously 'the communication' is so critical in whether a Super Bowl is won & lost...ask Neil O'Donnell who will forever be the 'scapegoat' for calling those *heartburn* INT plays but it's clearly evident the WR screwed up on both occassions. :(

Thanx Redragger.

Steelers 2004 don't show up. But I've checked out others and boy, you wonder how the rookies can cope with not only remembering where to go but making plays early in the season to hold their spot. Mind blow. And obviously 'the communication' is so critical in whether a Super Bowl is won & lost...ask Neil O'Donnell who will forever be the 'scapegoat' for calling those *heartburn* INT plays but it's clearly evident the WR screwed up on both occassions. :(

Totally agree with you Woodson, a lot of NFL players are perceived as semi-illiterate dumbshits, but you really do need some brains to pick up these playbooks so quickly. You can see how a guy like Alex Smith struggled so much early in his career with having to learn a new offense every freaking year.

I sat down for about 4 hours last night and read the Broncos 2004 O playbook, and the route tree for WRs was incredible. I liked how the simple things like formation in the huddle, snap counts, and audibles are clearly spelled out so everyone can understand.

A guy in one of the Bronco forums did a bit of a study on Denver audibles and how they pretty much stayed the same over a period of time. He broke a couple of plays down and explained exactly how they work -

The first is in a 2000 game vs. Seattle. Frerrotte checks to Blue 19 T, this is a toss to the left. Blue is the audible color, 1 I am assuming is the halfback, 9 is the 9 hole (outside the LT or inside depending on the numbering system used), and T is toss:
[YOUTUBE]FNrpvAqCFOw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Second example is from 2005 against Washington. Plummer hard counts, and sees the blitz from the left side. He checks to Blue 18 H. Blue is the audible color, 1 I am assuming is the halfback, 8 is the 8 hole (outside the RT or inside depending on the numbering system used), and H is a handoff:
[YOUTUBE]-554zLK5GZc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty cool...

Thanx for breaking these plays down Redragger ...QB's are clearly the architects of the game. Willing to take a hunch guess of determining the defensive holes to exploit while the coaches/ co-ordinators are the Town Planners per sae.

Then on the EXTREME flipside..a couple years ago, these two Steeler fans from Illinois come up with a foolproof Play to be submitted to the then Offensive Co-Cordinator, now Cards HC, Ken Whisenhunt, to be tried/ added to the playbook..

When Mike Tomlin came into power...he was quoting the playbook under Bill Cowher as 'hotch potch' ...loose bits of paper out of a folder.. hahaha

Just funny how the Steelers won XL when you consider the same 'gadget' play in a earlier regular season game vs Cleveland was used with the same effect... >>Touchdown<< but different QB's.

For those interested in learning more about gaps and techniques, here's a great link to get your heads around.

Current Dallas coach, Wade Phillips, his dad, Bum Phillips, and his mentor, Paul Bryant, invented the numbering system. There are variations out there, but the core one is as described below...

http://www.coachwyatt.com/tips51-75.html

Quite expansive detail there GG with passing descriptive comments to keep you amused for hours. The real complex side of American football that most fans wouldn't have much idea about can be just as exhilarating/fascinating with the planning/ situational adjustments that you could never pick up on the tv even if you knew something remotely about the play 'numbered' codes. Mind blowing stuff that until you execute it right, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I gather that becoming a successful Offensive Co-ordinator in the NFL / College level would be more about the quality of the players ABLE to execute your situational multiple play-calls rather than being a defensive guru who would study opposition film and break down the strengths & expose the opposition weakness. Is six days between games enough time? Now you can appreciate why there are so many assistants helping out both co-ordinators. The humbling experience for a favoured team to be SHUT OUT on any given Sunday.. now that's GUTTING!! :D

Which now makes me recall the Titans (#1 seed in the 2008 play-offs btw) getting SMASHED in London last year against the Pats.. slumping them to a demoralising 0-6 start!! However they responded emphatically by winning 7 of their next 8 games!!

PRESSURE is on EVERYONE >> TITANS!!

Coach Fisher can't afford to miss the play-offs again this season. No sireee!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back