Other Strategy, Playbooks, Schemes, Formations, Tactics, Coaching & Philosophy

Remove this Banner Ad

With Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers about to face off as opposing D-coordinators in the Superbowl, NFL.com have a story today on how these two maestros shaped the 3-4 zone blitz as we know it today:

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/...-the-advent-of-the-34?module=HP_spotlight3col

LeBeau and Capers were on the same staff in Pittsburgh from 1992-94 and when you consider the players they had at their disposal like Lloyd, Greene and Woodson it was somewhat of a 'dream team'

LeBeau and Capers were on the same staff in Pittsburgh from 1992-94 and when you consider the players they had at their disposal like Lloyd, Greene and Woodson it was somewhat of a 'dream team'

You overlooked the likes of ILB Levon Kirkland, ILB Chad Brown, NT Joel Steed, DE's Brenton Buckner & Ray Seals. Safety Carnell Lake and ironically 'Darren Perry' who runs the Packers Secondary currently. Deon Figures was ok as a CB but didn't last too long... was one of those players who stepped up because of the sheer quality around him.

Came across this site on another forum and thought you guys might like it. A whole lot of cool documents including playbooks (many different teams), mini camp info, scouting reports etc. You could be here for hours reading this stuff, good for noobs and experts alike. Very interesting stuff...

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/prooffense/index.php

It seems this site has recently been overhauled. The new link is: http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/
There are three pages containing more free playbooks than you can poke a stick at
Page 1. - Pro Defense, Pro Offense, Workouts
Page 2. - Special Teams, High School Defense, High School Offense
Page 3. - Coaching Material, College Defense, College Offense

Thanx Redragger.

Steelers 2004 don't show up. But I've checked out others and boy, you wonder how the rookies can cope with not only remembering where to go but making plays early in the season to hold their spot. Mind blow. And obviously 'the communication' is so critical in whether a Super Bowl is won & lost...ask Neil O'Donnell who will forever be the 'scapegoat' for calling those *heartburn* INT plays but it's clearly evident the WR screwed up on both occassions.

Even with the new site overhaul I still can't seem to get the Steelers '04 playbooks to work. Found it here though

You overlooked the likes of ILB Levon Kirkland, ILB Chad Brown, NT Joel Steed, DE's Brenton Buckner & Ray Seals. Safety Carnell Lake and ironically 'Darren Perry' who runs the Packers Secondary currently. Deon Figures was ok as a CB but didn't last too long... was one of those players who stepped up because of the sheer quality around him.

Yeah all very good players, but just underrated with the prior three stealing the limelight. Much like the current Steeler team where the likes of Smith, Kiesel are underappreciated due to their higher profile teammates like Harrison and Woodley. But that's just part and parcel of being a 3-4 DE. NT Steed overshadowed too (and what a big shadow it was).

Polamalu too overshadowing the rest of the secondary much like Lake and Woodson did. There was also the fascinating case of little known Willie Williams who was the only member of both SB XXX and XL as well playing for the Seahawks just prior to playing against them in SB XL. I guess everybody has a story to be told.

But it goes to show how closesly related the two D's are with the only differences between them being the lack of a true Woodson type CB in the current team, but I'd give the current Steelers having an edge in terms of ILB/depth. (As well as the current team being able to translate it into success but that's more a team thing, not just defense. And of course the 90's team unfortunately running into an all time great Dallas team, much like the great Dallas teams of the 70's were stopped by the even greater Steeler teams. Hell the Cowboys would have won four SB's in the 70's if not for the Steelers).

But though everything else very similar, it's not eerily similar as this is Pittsburgh type defenses everyone has come to expect, and still can't beat. The one constant? LeBeau (and of course the Rooneys but that's another story)

^^^ They have a few other articles like that including one on GB/Pittsburgh's 2-5-5 Defense.

Also, if you are interested in OL play, I suggest you read the column "The Word of Muth" on Football Outsiders (when the season is on). It is written by a former NFL OL and is very interesting. He tends to alternate what team he is looking at between Dallas, Arizona and Pittsburgh

That's the problem with American Football and why it's so s**t boring. They need to through the books away.

I watched a NFL game recently. 4th and something. Less then 40 yards out. Option? Chip kick? Run it with some lateral plays? Some instinctive play of something? Nope.

Ball goes back to the punter who proceeds to punt it as far as possible so the ball goes out on the full with nothing gained. I guess the book said to do that.

Give me this anyday :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcGF9iAtoE

And of course you could post clips of individual brilliance - instinctive not going by the book brilliance - of a ton of AFL players as well. (Chris Judd for instance ;) )

When people turn up to the biggest game of the year just to watch the ads, you know it's a s**t game.

That's the problem with American Football and why it's so s**t boring. They need to through the books away.

I watched a NFL game recently. 4th and something. Less then 40 yards out. Option? Chip kick? Run it with some lateral plays? Some instinctive play of something? Nope.

Ball goes back to the punter who proceeds to punt it as far as possible so the ball goes out on the full with nothing gained. I guess the book said to do that.

Give me this anyday :

And of course you could post clips of individual brilliance - instinctive not going by the book brilliance - of a ton of AFL players as well. (Chris Judd for instance ;) )

When people turn up to the biggest game of the year just to watch the ads, you know it's a s**t game.

Just proof to the old adage, if you don't know what you're talking about, shut the......blah, blah

Give me this anyday :

For one thing, controlling an NFL ball on lateral passes, or passes in general is multiple times harder than catching a big soft thing like a rugby or AFL ball.

Secondly, most of the players in the NFL are ridiculously talented for their level, unlike 30-50% of AFL/NRL players who are mediocre at the talents their job required. Heckudd's apparently one of the best in the game and can barely kick to his own team.

The reason why laterals aren't frequent is because the play is pretty much dead if it hits the ground. In rugby you can still advance the ball if it touches the ground while in NFL only the fumbling player (If it does hit the ground it is considered a fumble) can advance the ball on offense.

Either way, dunno why you bothered posting here.

BTW you do know that people at the game don't get to see the ads? Failol

For one thing, controlling an NFL ball on lateral passes, or passes in general is multiple times harder than catching a big soft thing like a rugby or AFL ball.

Secondly, most of the players in the NFL are ridiculously talented for their level, unlike 30-50% of AFL/NRL players who are mediocre at the talents their job required. Heckudd's apparently one of the best in the game and can barely kick to his own team.

The reason why laterals aren't frequent is because the play is pretty much dead if it hits the ground. In rugby you can still advance the ball if it touches the ground while in NFL only the fumbling player (If it does hit the ground it is considered a fumble) can advance the ball on offense.

BTW you do know that people at the game don't get to see the ads? Failol

I've played the game at the highest level - plenty of beach football using a frisbee and sometimes with a real american football so I think I have the qualifications to comment.

You should be treating me as a special guest considering my popularity both here and at LU. I think it's a privilege for you guys that I'm here in the American Football section. I'll be here all week...

Interesting commentary to say the least coming at a time when Australian Rules Football is entering an unprecedented period where scheme, structure and playbook supercede individual brilliance and even the fundamental rules of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just been reading a chapter of a great book which goes through all famous strategies, and it was on Air Coryell. Martz is one of its disciples. The book was explaining that WR route tree and the ingenous numbering system Coryell developed. No wonder new players get confused.

Interesting, i was reading how the Panthers have only shown Newton a small part of the playbook due to the shortened off season. With Newton's early success i just wonder sometimes if coaches stripped things back to try and simplify the game it could actually help players. Sometimes players look like they just think too much.

Very true, TGBB. I personally think simpler playbooks, with less checks, will help QBs to just play. Especially those who you could say are more gifted but less able to memorize.

The original Bill Walsh WCO is a very complex playbook, with play names that are incredibly long. A lot of the coaches in Walsh's tree have re-designed the WCO to be more simpler, whilst others still retain the complexity. Jon Gruden being one of them.

Whilst the Air Coryell can also be ponderously difficult. The most complex being Al Saunders playbook. Saunders has coached many teams over the decades and is currently Raiders OC. Al Davis himself was a disciple of the Air Coryell.

Pheew, good thing you woke me up to this fact,now I don't have to get up at 3am on Monday mornings and base my life around football season any more.Just noticed your post, saved me all sorts of trouble!

What was the situation, what was the clock, what quarter was it? What were the scores,which teams were playing here, which personnel were on the field? What other factors were associated with your perception of events?

Give me this anyday :

And of course you could post clips of individual brilliance - instinctive not going by the book brilliance - of a ton of AFL players as well. (Chris Judd for instance ;) ) When people turn up to the biggest game of the year just to watch the ads, you know it's a s**t game.

Nice score in the clip, not a big fan myself, but do watch occasionally.
Maybe your wanting to see something like this.[YOUTUBE]P7xksmk0ghc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
It does happen and it can work but its got a certain risk to it and bad outcomes can reward the opposition.
I've played the game at the highest level - plenty of beach football using a frisbee and sometimes with a real american football so I think I have the qualifications to comment.You should be treating me as a special guest considering my popularity both here and at LU. I think it's a privilege for you guys that I'm here in the American Football section. I'll be here all week...

Its clear your taking the piss now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to find a thread for this....

Parcells Still Thinks Walsh Cheated

This week’s hot topic of fake injuries gave Bill Parcells an opportunity to return to one of his hobbyhorses today: That when he was coach of the Giants, 49ers coach Bill Walsh cheated by disabling the coaches’ booth-to-sideline communication system.

Asked on ESPN to offer his thoughts on the fake injury controversy, Parcells pivoted to a different form of cheating.

“This kind of stuff has been going on in the NFL for quite some time, but it takes different forms,” Parcells said. “This is not just restricted to the defense. I know from past history in two playoff games, one of these teams that was famous for using a script, which they rehearsed with their team prior to the game — they knew exactly what they wanted to do — mysteriously, two years in a row, when the game started, their phones went down, which mandates that the other side put their phones down. Now, let me get this straight. You’ve got your script rehearsed, you know what you’re going to do, the defense doesn’t know what’s coming, but they have to take their phones off?”

Parcells didn’t name Walsh or the 49ers, but that’s obviously who he was referring to. Parcells made the same claim in 2007, referring to two Giants-49ers playoff games (after the 1985 and 1986 seasons) when Parcells coached against Walsh.

The Giants won both those games, so Parcells isn’t suggesting that cheating cost his team a game. But it’s obviously something that bothers him: A quarter century later, he still hasn’t let it go.

****ed if i know where to put this, so decided here out of laziness.

Good article on Van Brocklin's single game passing record of 554 yards.

Norm Van Brocklin was not even the Rams’ first-string quarterback then; he started that day, one of two he made that season, because the incumbent was hurt. But on that warm, sunny day at Los Angeles Coliseum 60 years ago Wednesday, Van Brocklin did something that no other N.F.L. quarterback had done. More remarkably, no one has done it since. He threw for 554 yards, a sum so outsized, so far from the norm, that even the turbocharged offenses of today’s game, with their spread formations and no-huddle packages, have been unable to match it.

I've noticed there's a few extra people being active on the NFL page and just in case some of them are new to NFL here's a link to an excellent source of information on the various plays that teams can employ.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/inside-the-playbook.html

check out the post on running back plays http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Want-to-learn-the-base-NFL-run-game.html

It contains one of the best running back plays you'll ever want to see from Marshawn Lynch

apologies to all those Saints fans out there.

can someone explain to me the difference between intentional grounding and the quarterback spiking the ball to stop the clock... why is the latter not intentional grounding.

was watching the highlights the other day and one of the quarterbacks copped a safety and the comments dude said it should've been a penalty against him for intentional grounding...

can someone explain to me the difference between intentional grounding and the quarterback spiking the ball to stop the clock... why is the latter not intentional grounding.

was watching the highlights the other day and one of the quarterbacks copped a safety and the comments dude said it should've been a penalty against him for intentional grounding...

Didn't see that particular incident but if the QB is in his own endzone and throws away intentionally then it's a safety every time (i believe).

QB has to be under pressure and in danger of losing yards for intentional grounding to be called. So because QB spikes right away he can't be called. Think he might if he hesitates before the spike.

your spot on Besanko basicaly it sounds like the QB intentionaly grounded the ball BUT if the QB commit's a foul of any sort in his end zone then it's automatically a safety

so although it is intentional grounding a safety is the correct penalty to award in that situation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back