Autopsy Round 12: Richmond Tigers vs North Ballarat Roosters at Eureka Stadium, 1:30pm Sunday 5th of July

Remove this Banner Ad

These are perfect games to play a youngster. Carlton are not Hawthorn. We must reward youngsters for playing well too. Also, has Thomas been upgraded to the senior list?
Quite the opposite IMO.
We cant take these games lightly. We need to win and win easily to increase our %.
And the way the Saints played yesterday they wont be a push over..

That's not what ancient was arguing though, he was arguing on the basis of Thomas performing better than Lennon and co
Not quite true. On the basis Lennon is playing well in the seconds, I would rather see him put in the seniors than Thomas. The latter has shown his weaknesses at AFL level and that is why he was let go by Port. Lennon though has tremendous upside and should be played at all costs in our seniors (as long as his form warrants this). He has played more good games than C Ellis in the seconds yet everyone was happy to see C Ellis in our seniors and he showed class. Lennon has class too. He just needs to be given an extended run in the seniors to get accustomed to the pace of the game.

Not quite true. On the basis Lennon is playing well in the seconds, I would rather see him put in the seniors than Thomas. The latter has shown his weaknesses at AFL level and that is why he was let go by Port. Lennon though has tremendous upside and should be played at all costs in our seniors (as long as his form warrants this). He has played more good games than C Ellis in the seconds yet everyone was happy to see C Ellis in our seniors and he showed class. Lennon has class too. He just needs to be given an extended run in the seniors to get accustomed to the pace of the game.

Actually it is, because even if Thomas is playing better and more consistently, you're saying you'd play Lennon as long as he's playing "well"

My point is we are not in the place yet that we can ignore our best 22 performers for those with better longer term potential. We need to play the best 22 on each given week, even if it includes Thomas

That's not what ancient was arguing though, he was arguing on the basis of Thomas performing better than Lennon and co
I know but he hasn't performed better than them. He's just had more possessions.

I know but he hasn't performed better than them. He's just had more possessions.

Don't disagree, and I'm not saying to include him

It's the principle of the idea, that we can play without out in from 22 I dispute

Actually it is, because even if Thomas is playing better and more consistently, you're saying you'd play Lennon as long as he's playing "well"

My point is we are not in the place yet that we can ignore our best 22 performers for those with better longer term potential. We need to play the best 22 on each given week, even if it includes Thomas
IMHO Thomas isn't close to our best 22. Lennon has the potential to be given the right chances. Thomas will never be more than a great VFL player and even if he is getting more possessions than Lennon, Lennon's possessions are far more to our advantage, which is what the coach says about him. I actually think that we will be better off next year if we get games into Lennon now. As well as we've played this year, I'm not sure if we are flag material just yet.

IMHO Thomas isn't close to our best 22. Lennon has the potential to be given the right chances. Thomas will never be more than a great VFL player and even if he is getting more possessions than Lennon, Lennon's possessions are far more to our advantage, which is what the coach says about him. I actually think that we will be better off next year if we get games into Lennon now. As well as we've played this year, I'm not sure if we are flag material just yet.

But that's different to what you said

I have no issue with this at all, just your initial suggestion that some players like Thomas shouldn't be selected for a game like this even if their form is in the best 22 available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you're saying, but look at the stats above- Thomas 12 Tackles,Lennon 0 tackles. At least with Thomas you know what you're going I get.
I'd rather see Lennon in the side too but he really has to lift the defensive side of his game and intensity.

Encouraging VFL performance. If Lennon doesn't get picked this week then I reckon Hardwick has something personal against him

Macintosh needs a full game, thought he was excellent.

Means we need a sub which Lennon is perfect for

McBean for Maric

Astbury for griff

Encouraging VFL performance. If Lennon doesn't get picked this week then I reckon Hardwick has something personal against him
He's been average in the VFL this season. Nothing personal.

Macintosh needs a full game, thought he was excellent.

Means we need a sub which Lennon is perfect for

McBean for Maric

Astbury for griff
Would rather sub Newman (if he's in the team), play Lennon for a full game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back