Sunshine Coast looking to relocate a Melbourne-based club

Remove this Banner Ad

Conlan's whole premise is wrong. Melbourne is experiencing a population boom. It's forecast that Melbourne will be Australia's largest city within 20 years. Maybe Leppa would like to coach the Pakenham Panthers or the Point Cook Pirates.

That may be true, but Melbourne isn't getting 10/18ths of the increase in population.

rubbish Hawthorn take the money and run, they haven't put a cent in to anything except their gaming venues ffs they dient even build their training & admin center, yet they still rent it off the AFL for $1 a year ! the only time they go to tassie is to parade their premiership flag and collect their bonus from the Tassie government!

I'm going to have to call bullshit here. I'm from Hawthorn's end of Tassie, around 30 minutes from Launceston. The *ers are always around here doing s**t and working with communities.

They came to my little, rural town of around 800 people just so the local kids could talk to and hang out with the players. And when I say little and rural, I mean little and rural.
kek.jpg
They put up with kids climbing all over them, splashing and just generally being little shits. I was only around 14 at the time. Josh Gibson accidentally threw his tennis ball out of the water and asked me to chuck it back. I slung it about 20 metres away from him. That was my revenge for him leaving North, and I'm sure he was devastated. They then signed a bunch of stuff for anyone who wanted it and stayed much longer than they had planned.

Anyway, my point is that they're hardly sucking Tassie dry. For all they get out of this state and as much as I do hate them, they've sure put a lot in.

Without western and Northern situated teams, the game wont grow in western and northern Melbourne. You may think that Melbourne is all sewn up, it isn't. Many of the growing areas of Melbourne are immigrant based growth and if the AFL doesn't have teams placed in the west and east, they'll most likely turn to soccer.

Yeah soccer has really taken off in a big way over the past 5 or so years here in Melbourne....which I love btw. It works though given that the seasons cover pretty much 12 months and it only clashes at the start of the AFL season. So they can certainly both prosper, that's not so much of an issue. NRL has grown over the past 10 years, but not to the degree that the A League has managed IMO.

They put up with kids climbing all over them, splashing and just generally being little shits. I was only around 14 at the time. Josh Gibson accidentally threw his tennis ball out of the water and asked me to chuck it back. I slung it about 20 metres away from him. That was my revenge for him leaving North, and I'm sure he was devastated. They then signed a bunch of stuff for anyone who wanted it and stayed much longer than they had planned.

What!?! Someone doesn't think I'm the coolest guy ever?????????

Why are people stuck in the mindset that expansion/growing the game has to coincide with throwing an established team under the bus?

couldnt agree more. we're at 18 teams. imagine getting to 20 or 22 and being able to have an even fixture

Yeah soccer has really taken off in a big way over the past 5 or so years here in Melbourne....which I love btw. It works though given that the seasons cover pretty much 12 months and it only clashes at the start of the AFL season. So they can certainly both prosper, that's not so much of an issue. NRL has grown over the past 10 years, but not to the degree that the A League has managed IMO.

i think every sport has grown, basically due to our population increasing.

people look at the a league and think theyre challenging the AFL. they are so far off the AFL its not funny. lets remember they only have 2 teams in melb. AFLs attendance is an absolute giant compared to the a league

Why are people stuck in the mindset that expansion/growing the game has to coincide with throwing an established team under the bus?
I'd say its because they want to spread out the teams instead of having them all in one area. If they keep all the vic teams but continue to expand we will end up with too many teams.

I'd say its because they want to spread out the teams instead of having them all in one area. If they keep all the vic teams but continue to expand we will end up with too many teams.

Is there such a problem with say, 24 teams? That way each team could play each other once and we could have a fair 23 round fixture.

Is there such a problem with say, 24 teams? That way each team could play each other once and we could have a fair 23 round fixture.

I'd go 23 teams, giving each team a bye over the 23 rounds, but yep.

rubbish Hawthorn take the money and run, they haven't put a cent in to anything except their gaming venues ffs they dient even build their training & admin center, yet they still rent it off the AFL for $1 a year ! the only time they go to tassie is to parade their premiership flag and collect their bonus from the Tassie government!

you want know how Essendon still is a large club and remains relevant despite being a basket case on field, is they put a lot of time & effort in to varying different communities, indigenous, indian, local etc
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-11-22/essendon-recognised-by-global-standards
Essendon Football Club was this week recognised for its significant community program by the London Benchmarking Group Australia & New Zealand annual report.

A member organisation for 4 years, Essendon were the first sporting club to join the Benchmarking group, which now boasts 7 AFL clubs in total.

The report recognised Essendon’s lead role in community investment, notably in the focus areas of Youth & Education and Indigenous programs.

Essendon Football Club Head of Community Cameron Britt said that the recognition is important endorsement for the club’s social strategies.

“The London Benchmarking group is an internationally renowned independent assessment model. We are really proud to have our work recognised alongside major ASX200 companies representing mining, banking and retail sectors”.

Essendon continues to invest significant resources and time in its community programs, considered a key part of the club’s fabric.

Click here to view Essendon’s significant community programs.

get the picture :thumbsu:
Why don't you * off to the bay with your derailing and pointless diatribe.

Yes, we all know that * are the paragon of virtue who do nothing but help the community, help little old ladies across the road, and behave in the highest ethical manner possible.

But do you have to remind us of your impending saint hood every time there is a new thread?

But why sacrifice teams with established supporter bases and room for growth in favour of long term investments?

It'd be moronic to burn off guaranteed support in favour of geographic balance. The time to expand will come, but not at the expense of existing clubs.

Plan being hatched for AFL shift to the Sunshine Coast

Sunshine Coast considered as future home for AFL side

Sunshine Coast right on the mark for AFL clubs

AFL Demons find heaven on the Sunshine Coast

Looks like they have their sights set on the Bulldogs or the Demons at the moment. Justin Leppitsch has thrown his support behind it and would like to coach them. They will try to relocate a Melbourne-based club by 2030 when the population of the Sunshine Coast is expected to reach 500,000. The Sunshine Coast Council has already shown its willingness to support the game by inviting three AFL teams to train in their city and use their facilities. Sam Mitchell mentioned the training facilities were "really good" and believes the climate is ideal for training.

AFL Queensland appears to be behind the concept and are already putting plans in place to promote a Sunshine Coast team to the premier Queensland comp. I'm sure AFL Queensland has been in contact with the AFL about these plans so to go public with it they must have some support from the AFL. So, what do you think?
Oh god, here we go again.

This re-location crap is harder to get rid of than a bad dose of the clap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't heard anyone say that.

You either haven't been paying attention or haven't read the right threads.

Depending on who you ask, WA could *maybe* have a 3rd team, but there is nowhere to put another club. Even a 3rd would have big problems finding fans.

As for as many teams as would fit for the population...(5 would be equivalent to Vic, and also set the level at a point where Tas can have a team)...No hope.

You either haven't been paying attention or haven't read the right threads.

Depending on who you ask, WA could *maybe* have a 3rd team, but there is nowhere to put another club. Even a 3rd would have big problems finding fans.

As for as many teams as would fit for the population...(5 would be equivalent to Vic, and also set the level at a point where Tas can have a team)...No hope.

You would find fans quite easily IMO, for a start people who have been on a waiting list for years but want to be part of club and actually get a seat, people who follow the footy but for whatever reason don't like either WA team, people who are semi interested in footy but have not bothered to put their name on a waiting list.

Then of course if the club is based on a combined WAFL club was what was proposed a few years ago, a combined East and West Perth AFL team would get 10,000 members easily without impacting any existing AFL club.

A new AFL club would work in Perth, North or South.

BRISBANE LIONS
2015 members (so far):
This time last year: 16,328
2014 members: 24,032

GOLD COAST
2015 members (so far):
This time last year: 9,415
2014 members: 13,480

I'm sure it can be done, but if you check the thread about extra games for WA teams, suggestions of extra teams don't get a lot of support (with some notable exceptions).

I am sure the Eagles who have 45 million sitting in the bank don't wan't another club, they initially did not support the a second team, but a 3rd club means more local games , more money, more local players staying home and more people who have got out of the habit of going to the football due to seat shortages going.

The money, talent, population and general support of the game is all there.

I am sure the Eagles who have 45 million sitting in the bank don't wan't another club, they initially did not support the a second team, but a 3rd club means more local games , more money, more local players staying home and more people who have got out of the habit of going to the football due to seat shortages going.

The money, talent, population and general support of the game is all there.

Exactly 'good for the game' and 'good for the weagles' seems to get confused by some.

Exactly 'good for the game' and 'good for the weagles' seems to get confused by some.

I mean, really, if we're 'just' looking at the good of the game...Break WCE up and create the new clubs from the ashes. (most WCE fans seem OK with dropping Vic clubs for the good of the game after all, so I'm sure they'd support that :D )

Nah we are good. How about Port?

I see your 6923 members and raise you to 53520... go on, counter the argument with the "strategic" $2.5m loss - I would love to know the financials of GWS.

Seriously though, does it have to be a fledgling Vic club??

Could a team like Carlton that has a huge supporter base but are just on the brink of profit/ loss be enticed North with big relocation dollars and concessions??

Im not actually suggesting Carlton to move - just countering the struggling club argument!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back