Sustained success without the ultimate prize

Remove this Banner Ad

That 2006 game... The room at my house had about 15 of us guys all dead silent. You could hear the sound of people swallowing their beer. I walked out back, just about ripped the door off its hinges, grabbed the biggest orange i could see on my orange tree, and hurled it as hard as I could at the fence. It missed the top of the fence by about 10mm, went straight over the back and smashed the neighbors window. And zero f$%^s were given. I was frustrated for days

Brilliant hahaha

I threw a half empty beer bottle at my garage wall. Next day I was pissef off cleaning up broken glass thinking which rude prick did that to my place... I didn't remember.

2002 was a long drive home. 2005 was bad. 2006 worst. 2012 - love that memory of stiffy running into the forward 50 flanked by crows to put us in front.... Gonna cry now.

Look at it this way - surely we won't lose the next one hey :)?

Worst I have ever felt after a Crows game.

Pretty much sums up 2006. I gave literally no f&$ks about football for weeks afterwards. As someone said above, it was clear that we had blown our last chance in that era.

I threw a half empty beer bottle at my garage wall. Next day I was pissef off cleaning up broken glass thinking which rude prick did that to my place... I didn't remember.

2002 was a long drive home. 2005 was bad. 2006 worst. 2012 - love that memory of stiffy running into the forward 50 flanked by crows to put us in front.... Gonna cry now.

Look at it this way - surely we won't lose the next one hey :)?

I remember after 2002, every overpass on the freeway out of Melbourne had huge banners saying "P**S OFF CROWS" hanging off it.

Was an awfully long 8 hour drive home, especially having been abused and spat on by inbreds all day the day before.

I remember after 2002, every overpass on the freeway out of Melbourne had huge banners saying "P**S OFF CROWS" hanging off it.

Was an awfully long 8 hour drive home, especially having been abused and spat on by inbreds all day the day before.
Leaving the game I genuinely feared for my safety.

Seriously tho, late 2009 was some of the best football we ever played. How we lost that semi I will never know, we were absolutely all over them in the first half.

We played amazing late in 2009 and easily won the EF over Essendon at Football Park. I thought we were certain to reach a preliminary final from outside the top 4 that year.

In the semi we had chances in the second quarter and the pressure was on and I know we were not a great side under pressure and I felt very frustrated at halftime and I could see it coming. The third quarter of that 2009 semi was the most epic choke of all time. Then late in the 4 quarter Ben Rutten grabs the arm of John Anthony with under a minute left = ballgame. 12.11.83 to 11.12.78. I turned the TV off as soon as I saw him grab the arm.

We played amazing late in 2009 and easily won the EF over Essendon at Football Park. I thought we were certain to reach a preliminary final from outside the top 4 that year.

In the semi we had chances in the second quarter and the pressure was on and I know we were not a great side under pressure and I felt very frustrated at halftime and I could see it coming. The third quarter of that 2009 semi was the most epic choke of all time. Then late in the 4 quarter Ben Rutten grabs the arm of John Anthony with under a minute left = ballgame. 12.11.83 to 11.12.78. I turned the TV off as soon as I saw him grab the arm.

What annoyed me most was that our supposedly great leaders at that time did sweet * all to stop Collingwood's momentum. That was just a horrible thing to watch.

It's not mentioned often but I see 2007 as a massive lost opportunity too.

Well on top of Hawks and blew it at the end. I remember being filled with rage after the buddy goal then devestation at the siren.

But the finals draw opened right up that year for us. We would have played North in a SF then Port in a PF, two teams who we did not lose to that year. Making a GF from 8th is almost impossible but a 46 point win v North on GC and 24 and 8 point wins v Port suggest it was entirely possible.

We were cursed last decade. One of the worst feelings of the decade was 2008. St Kilda beats Essendon by over 100 points to jump Adelaide from 5th to 4th, bloody terrible feeling to miss out on the top 4 by less than 1%. And to make things worse the result of finishing 5th was a home EF vs Collingwood for us. I never bothered watching the game and went out for a bushwalk instead, sat down and relaxed by a river but felt bad all day. Came back home after sunset and was not surprised about the result. I was upset and frustrated all week leading up to that game.

Well on top of Hawks and blew it at the end. I remember being filled with rage after the buddy goal then devestation at the siren.

But the finals draw opened right up that year for us. We would have played North in a SF then Port in a PF, two teams who we did not lose to that year. Making a GF from 8th is almost impossible but a 46 point win v North on GC and 24 and 8 point wins v Port suggest it was entirely possible.

Come on ... we would have found a cruel and unsual way to blow it even if we got thru that Hawthorn game ;)

We were cursed last decade. One of the worst feelings of the decade was 2008. St Kilda beats Essendon by over 100 points to jump Adelaide from 5th to 4th, bloody terrible feeling to miss out on the top 4 by less than 1%. And to make things worse the result of finishing 5th was a home EF vs Collingwood for us. I never bothered watching the game and went out for a bushwalk instead, sat down and relaxed by a river but felt bad all day. Came back home after sunset and was not surprised about the result.

Ha ha. U are not wrong. We had shitty ends to '02, '05, '06, '07, '08 and '09 ... Port won the flag in '04. Does it get worse?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on ... we would have found a cruel and unsual way to blow it even if we got thru that Hawthorn game ;)

I think North would have beaten us anyway. But at least reaching a semi final from 8th would be a good result to an extremely disappointing 2007 season.

Remember just looking around the pub at hundreds of sullen faces after the siren.

The whole Massie/Buddy thing that day still makes me shiver.

I remember someone interviewed Craigy a few years later and asked if given the chance again, would he make the move earlier. He said no. Highlighted his biggest failing as a coach - an inability to make the right moves during big games.

Ha ha. U are not wrong. We had shitty ends to '02, '05, '06, '07, '08 and '09 ... Port won the flag in '04. Does it get worse?!

2002 we were hit by injury in the 13.13.91 to 9.9.63 loss to Collingwood. Both teams had 290 disposals and Jason Cloke hit Tyson Edwards in the face and he came off with a bloody nose. Beaten by a superb West Coast in 2005 but the 2005QF was a struggle against St Kilda which really cost us, a game I remember they controlled possession. It was always going to be hard to win in Perth. But from 06-09, all shitty ends.

Mike Sheahan was on SEN in Melbourne Tuesday Morning and he's now decided that 2005 West Coast Team should have a * ...... Cousins

Leaving the game I couldn't help but think that hot chicks look best in a Collingwood guernsey .... then we went to Goldfingers to drown our sorrows.

Been to plenty of Collingwood games, am yet to see evidence of this. Maybe I sit too close to their cheersquad?

Some interesting stats re sustained success over time. This captures the home and away results Round 1 2005 - Round 16 2015. We have been the most successful side to not win a flag.

It really is time we turned our on field success into some bolded entries in the record books!

LvCDTE.jpg

It would be interesting to see that along side a frees for/against ladder over the same period. Also a ladder showing reports and suspensions over the same period.

Been to plenty of Collingwood games, am yet to see evidence of this. Maybe I sit too close to their cheersquad?
have also been to a few collingwood games, must admit i've noticed it too. luckily i'm basing this on looks rather than when they open their mouths..

What annoyed me most was that our supposedly great leaders at that time did sweet **** all to stop Collingwood's momentum. That was just a horrible thing to watch.

That was the game that when I realised that the time had come to begin moving on some/all our senior group. The most frustrating thing at the time was that Neil Craig believed the opposite and begged them all to stay on.

And I am warning you, if we make the finals this year we could potentially go out by less than a kick again. We might not be as good now, but I am sure they (Adelaide) will try their butts off.

Last edited:
Best part of 2002 was when the entire Cloke family went on the Footy Show in tears trying to get Jason's suspension lifted.

That Collingwood side thought they had it all back then and Brisbane showed them how it was done, not only once but twice. And the Pies had to wait 7 more years to get their next chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back