Swans or Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to move on....Sunday is history.

The question is who do we prefer....Swans or Saints..

Personally I couldn't care less..

Saints would be an open affair which I'm confident we would come out on top.

Swans provides the revenge factor meaning the players should be switched on...

BRING IT ON....

In the words of BIG KEV.....I'M EXCITED!!!

We thrashed both during the season, i can't see any reason why that can't happen again. That said, both probably have the ability to cause an upset. I just hope they smash each other on Friday night!

You guys are better than both St Kilda and Sydney but IMO St Kilda are a more straight forward proposition for you. They play a more "normal" style of footy whereas Sydney can really change the way a game is played by clogging up the game and forcing stoppage after stoppage.

Either way I think you will win but I just think Sydney would give more headaches than St Kilda.

I think it would be easier for us to beat the Saints, but yeah, I'd also like to get some revenge on Sydney for last year! I reckon it'll be Sydney that we play.

I have a feeling the Saints will get up. Sydney never look sure of themselves at the G, moreso than Port. ;)

St. Kilda have been smashed by Brisbane and would be lucky to get players up over the Swans. Assuming they do I think we can account for them more easily then the Swans. Purely from a which team we'd have a better chance against I'd rather the Saints.

However there is the matter of last years qualifying final. How more emphatically could we totally throw that monkey, that's now only got one hand on our back, totally off then by beating the side that has embarrased us the greatest ? Collingwood 2002 was our first home qualifying final after our first minor premiership and SOME hubris and arrogance that resulted in a lack of respect for the intensity of finals was PARTLY understandable. There was no such excuse last year - that match was (and hopefully will remain forever) our greatest moment of shame in the AFL. To come out just over a year later and beat the Swans at home in a final would be the perfect leadup for the players (and supporters) to show themselves and us THIS year is the one.

So I'm hoping we play Sydney!

The best bit about all of this, is that most of us recognize that it shouldn't matter who we play in two weeks. If we take our best 22 players into this game, well-rested, mentally strong and focused, we should expect to beat any opponent.

There is no question Sydney match up better than do the Saints against us, and their current form is a bit more imposing than the Saints. But to start wishing for one opponent over the other puts us at risk of underestimating one team - and we can't afford to take anything for granted.

portentous said:
I don't care who we beat on our way to the grand final :p IF we play well and stay focused, we can beat either of them.
Word. Maintain focus and intensity, but certainly enjoy this week off, I'm enjoying it already :D

The Aints youth makes them a more susceptible target under finals pressure as evidenced by Friday Night.

Last year the swans were missing Ball & O'L was out or injured.

Their tactic of Goodes floating back really hurt us.

Having said that we clearly won the second half (compared with Geelongs failure to really mount a serious challenge - the third quarter result was more about our arrogance than their resurgence).

Bottom Line = treat both with RESPECTor we will pay the price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ferox said:
The Aints youth makes them a more susceptible target under finals pressure as evidenced by Friday Night.

Last year the swans were missing Ball & O'L was out or injured.

Their tactic of Goodes floating back really hurt us.

Having said that we clearly won the second half (compared with Geelongs failure to really mount a serious challenge - the third quarter result was more about our arrogance than their resurgence).

Bottom Line = treat both with RESPECTor we will pay the price.
I think in the third quarter it was more Geelong lifted to our level and some of their pressure paid off. I especially remember a stack of smothers that they managed to get, that they weren't getting early on.

The thing about the Swans game earlier this year is that they effectively didn't have a ruck. With Ball and Doyle in good form it will be a much bigger test for our midfield group. Neither opponent will be easy but another contest against St Kilda would be alright.

Give us a Saints team that has just scraped over the line against Sydney, but there's little difference between the teams. It's a shame that we never got this two-week break in previous years, because you could really tell that we had no legs in the third week. Who knows what we could've done if we jagged a win in the first week of 2002 or 2002.

Now we've got the break we have to pound whoever comes up against us.

I hope it's the Saints.

When I'm paying 60 bucks for a ticket I want to see a good game. If we play the Saints we will either win or lose on our merits.

If we play the Swans expect 15 defenders in the forward line everytime the ball goes past centre.

Either way I think the boys will come through for us.

I would like to play the Swans to ensure the monkey has well and truly been thrown from our backs. If we play like yesterday and add a 25% improvement a place in our first AFL Grand Final should be assured.

from a viewers pov id rather see st kilda because i hate watching sydney play. Its so bloody borring. I rather lots of run and fast play which stkilda vs port would ensure

While I agree that the Swans usually do better against us than the Saints, its also why I reckon I'd prefer us to play them, as there's no chance of complacency (like the second half of this week).

As noted, these are two very distinct styles of footy. It's wonderful that we can be quietly confident of being able to account for either of them.

Having said that, I'd imagine there will be zero complacency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back