Sydney Swans Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right Goodes should play on he's about to hit his straps and Malceski is just toying with free agency.
His toying with getting paid. I don't think it is a co-incidence that Kieran Jack has suddenly said he would be quite happy to go back to rugby league where he will be able to earn really good money.

I would argue that the Swans academy is unalienable right. Have you seen how much more expensive it is up in Sydney. Took out a personal loan to buy a burrito at last weeks game.

Unlike you, I've lived in Sydney for the last 33 years.

I would argue that the Swans academy is unalienable right. Have you seen how much more expensive it is up in Sydney. Took out a personal loan to buy a burrito at last weeks game.
WA's economy is based on the wages of fifo's. the rest of us have to live on an ordinary wage in an inflated wage economy

Im doubting your one eyed Swanness credentials, it is not a becoming trait to have.

One eyed doesn't have to mean someone else has to lose. I'd hope people can see the rational points Schmidt2003 is putting forward. We simply don't have a competition if a one team has an unfair advantage over others.

The considered argument is that every team have their own advantages (Geelong's stadium revenue, Collingwood's scheduling, GWS's salary cap etc.) which are unique to their club, each sanctioned or directed by the AFL - it's how do you determine one's the equivalent of the other? Unfortunately, the argument simply becomes partisan, which ends in everyone taking extreme positions to validate their benefits (I acknowledge my own susceptibility here). Nothing gets solved via the Eddie McGuire way.

The only way these things can possibly be solved is for the everyone to cool the rhetoric and acknowledge their benefits and seek a collective win-win. That is a "becoming trait to have" if we're ever going to resolve problems.

Last edited:
Why would the NSW & Qld clubs spend money (& other resources) developing kids in academies only for other teams to pick the cream at the top of those academies?

West Coast and Fremantle will each spend 2-3 times what Sydney does on their program this year into WA football development and like most years will watch the absolute cream go interstate (like your new $10 million former pick 5 for example) for the benefit of the competition. Equitable system is needed for all clubs.

WA and SA clubs get just over half their players from their own state but the rest they still have to fight the go home factor without the benefit of extra money or the attraction of being anonymous in a big city as they are in Sydney and Melbourne.

West Coast and Fremantle will each spend 2-3 times what Sydney does on their program this year into WA football development and like most years will watch the absolute cream go interstate (like your new $10 million former pick 5 for example) for the benefit of the competition. Equitable system is needed for all clubs.

WA and SA clubs get just over half their players from their own state but the rest they still have to fight the go home factor without the benefit of extra money or the attraction of being anonymous in a big city as they are in Sydney and Melbourne.

I think it is because the sans are a separate entity from their state leagues unlike the Freon/WC agreement. Honestly prefer AFL to take it over TAC cup style.

There are many many talented kids that get paid to play Rugby League as juniors. There are lots of kiwi kids that are brought to Australia, given scholarships to private schools all so that they can play Rugby League.
Have a look at how much money Penrith, Parramatta and North Sydney Leagues Clubs spend on junior development.
Westfield Sports High caters specifically for talented sports kids, their number 1 game is League.
Whatever amount WA and SA spend on development pales into comparison to the amount of money that is spent on junior development of Rugby League in both Queensland and NSW.

If we want kids to choose AFL, there MUST be an AFL pathway. Other things have been tried and failed!
The success of the new academy system will be hard to judge for quite a few years but for the moment it seems to be working.
For the sake of appeasing nuff-nuffs like Eddie it would be plain stupidity to unwind all the good work.
Let me repeat again, the AFL has tried to run academy like systems and FAILED.
The northern clubs to their credit have done an amazing job so far, yes they stand to benefit, but in the long run it is the entire AFL comp that will benefit. Hopefully one day we will see northern teams with half of their list as local products, but better than that, we will see more and more northern youngsters in the draft and playing for every team.
This can only happen if there is an AFL pathway that produces results. For the time being there has to be an incentive for northern clubs to spend time and money running academies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused , was this thread set up in opposition of the swans academy or for swans supporters to try and justify it ? Seems to be a lot more of the latter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back