Tactics vs swans

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
You wouldn't play petrie, Rocca and Brown in the forward line all at once vs the Swans surely. Their rebound would kill us.

Personally I'd like to see Sav play from behind the goal line, starting on the fence, and when he leads direct him to smash any opponent, Goodes, Barry etc. filling the hole ala Lockett when he played for the Swans.

As difficult as it is to achieve up there playing on the postage stamp sized ground, we MUST be tough in the middle, around the stoppages, and also MUST try to keep the forward 50 as open as possible. Hall will roam right out as far as the wing, and must be kept away from their goals as much as possible.

I'll be worried if this game turns into one of those "both teams playing extra men in defence" type of games, as we seem incapable of beating this style. If our ball movement is very clean and slick, our decision making when disposing of the pill going forward top class, and most important of all our effort at 100%, we're a show.

T'toes

Kingy's long blind kicking may be more useful on the SCG.

Playing a short chipping game can be very dangerous, they've perfected it but I don't recommend us going down the same path.

Controlling the stopages and hitting targets with more excessive than normal handballs may be the key.

Making as much space as possible available in the forward line may be the key, but the style of footy they play there always be sufficent numbers back, which is exactly why I don't think we should zone off. Give them 1 on 1 footy.

Our crumming forwards and use of the handball will be the key I reckon. If Motlop, Harding and Harvey can all have an impact and our team is efficient with our entries inside our forward 50 i reckon we can come away with the points.

Agreed to both. We don't have the skill level to muck around with the pill. Thats why i want Rocca to be really agressive at attacking the ball at the top of the square, and let Harvey, Turtle, Motlop, get front and square. But it must be moved in quickly otherwise our crumbers will get chopped up by their numbers back.

Sydney will chip it around, they are very good at it. We've just got to make sure we put as much pressure on them as possible so that we can enact the necessary pressure on them as so they don't get the necessary time and space to chip it around. We'll win the game if we force them to kick long, force them to kick blindly, force errors on them. They have a small margin for error with there gameplan and i think we can expose that this week.

Pressure on the ball carrier is vital as it is every week, they can't run the ball unopposed through the middle as Adelaide did various times last week. Kennelly and co. like running from half back and are very able with there foot skills so our half forwards are going to have to be very accountable.

David Hale must be an option this week forward.

He isn't getting any smaller and with Drew developing a nasty case of leather phobia, I think he would be a good option in and around the 50.

Brown down back, are archer days of going forward behind him? think his presence could help.

Other than that lets just clean a few of them up early - preferably targetting their playmakers.

I don't care who plays were as long as they man up if we play one on one footy with these guys we'll win we let them lose they win simple as that.

I think most people here are forgetting that the Swans don't kick short as much as it may seem, they handball and run a lot more.

This is the primary reason why we match up so well on paper but can't get the result against them in recent history. Run and high use of handball is the best tactic against us, as unfortunately our midfield isn't great running the other way. We much prefer the opposition to kick it sideways which allows us time to get back.

But one common factor with all our recent losses (Carlton and Adelaide in particular) is that we seem to do well shutting sides down and running over the top of them (Essendon, Freo) but have lots of trouble when we are the hunted, and the other side goes one on one against us. From this point of view we should do well this week.

Originally posted by vlad76
I think most people here are forgetting that the Swans don't kick short as much as it may seem, they handball and run a lot more.
Spot on.Run and handball are the first options.The chipping comes in when all our players including the backmen we rely on heavily for run are marked.We got away with murder last year but this year every team is putting pressure on our runners so our style has changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back