Pregnancy & Parenting Taking your child to a public toilet

Remove this Banner Ad

Muffo

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2005
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Heard a conversation on the radio before about taking your own child to public toilets. The scenario was the dad taking his 5 year old daughter to the loo, does he take her into the mens or womens toilet.

The guy on the radio was saying its better to take her into the mens, but the woman was saying its better to take her into the womens.

If it was me (I dont have any children) i would take her into the mens.

Thoughts...?

This is a dilemma - I think the dad takes the daughter to the men's room... but that would be a bit yuck to expose your daughter to

I remember as a kid having to go to the ladies with my mum.... totally hated that

I'm sure we'll be able discuss this topic like adults....

My 4 year old son will only use the mens, so my wife does have some issues taking him to the loo right now.

Disabled.

If you're talking about some scummy toilets at a park where this isn't an option, than no way I'd want them using the men's. 5 years is old enough to let her go in a women's herself while you wait outside - just call out to check everything is fine.

I'm sure we'll be able discuss this topic like adults....

You've over rated us ;) :D

I Have 5 nephews and only 1 niece who is only new born (no kids of my own), so I have never been in this situation. The first thing that comes to my mind is, what is a good excuse for a man to be in a female public toilet?! I cant think of any woman that would feel comfortable if a man was in their toilet block, even with a young girl.

No matter what the gender, the child has to go to the public toilet of the same gender as the person taking them.

The first thing that comes to my mind is, what is a good excuse for a man to be in a female public toilet?! I cant think of any woman that would feel comfortable if a man was in their toilet block, even with a young girl.

No matter what the gender, the child has to go to the public toilet of the same gender as the person taking them.
I agree, imagine wandering into the female toilets with a child, not comfortable for anyone. Or a male at the urinal whilst a woman walked past.

It was probably a good idea to emphasise the "taking (of) your child" in the title. This thread didn't have a long shelf life otherwise.

Regardless of the sex of the child i wouldn't be comfortable taking them to the female toilet for obvious reasons.

I remember until i was about 6 or 7 my mother wouldn't let me go into the men's room alone. Hated having to go to the women's...

It was probably a good idea to emphasise the "taking (of) your child" in the title. This thread didn't have a long shelf life otherwise.

Noted.

I've been in the public toilets when a father has brought their daughter in. Doesn't faze me at all. It's a bit awkward when the cubicles are full though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With two boys it's easy enough for me, but for my wife they go to the ladies with her and if I had had a daughter she would have gone to the mens. You can't wander into the other genders toilets even if you have a child it tow (even if as a guy you'd be tempted, for no other reason then the ladies wouldn't leave theirs as filthy as some guys leave public loos :mad: ).

You go to the footy and it's not unusual for a dad to be taking a young daughter in at a break. I can't ever remember anyone giving it a second look. I suppose the only question is at what age you'd draw the line and wait for them outside whilst they went in the other genders loo themselves.

You take them into the toilet you would go in if you were on your own ...

I think an adult would be a little more comfortable with an opposite gender child walking around than an opposite gender adult walking around. I could picture men being especially anxious with a woman walking considering the deal they make about having the largest package. Lol.

Oh, so awkward.

You take your kid in to your toilet with you. So if you're a bloke, she comes into the mens. If you're a woman, they come into the women's. That's how i see it. No one cares if a young'un of a different gender comes in, however i tend to think that a dad going into the women's just to take his daughter in wouldn't float quite as well.

Once they get to about 5 or 6, they should be going to the toilet of their gender.

Before that, the Gender of the parent going to the loo. Personally i'ld be much less uncomfortable with a 4 year old girl with her dad in the mens, than a mum and her 4 year old son. No idea why, but it's my opinion.

the general protocol is take them into the gender of the adults yeah??

my only concern there is if i was taking my neice into the men's toilets, most mens toilets are ****ing disgusting with piss all over the seat etc,. i'd probably rather not expose her to that.

also i think it's a bit overstated the drama of a man going into a women's toilets. it's entirely cubicles so he can't see what's happening.

where as a young girl could catch a glimpse if she were to go into the men's toilets....

obviously a woman with a young boy would go into the women's toilets....

Why can't a dad take their daughter into the women's toilets? Women aren't exposed as they have a locked cubicle, yeah?

Surely taking your daughter into a male's toilet is far worse? Guys have their dicks out at the urinal, there is usually the stench of piss as it is always on the floor.

Are women that uncomfortable of having a man in the vicinity of them taking a dump that they would deny this?

Thank christ for the shopping centres that have actual change areas for children with toilet facilities.

Just to reiterate Messy's post: any post with a hint of pedophilia or the like about it will get an instant red. Been a couple so far, don't want any more.

Raised three girls, I always took them into the men's rather than me going into the ladies toilets.

Was glad when they were old enough to begin the female "pack" mentality and go to the girls as a group looking out for each other.

Had to go into the women's only once. Doncaster Shoppintown. Roughly 1996-97-ish.

Needed to change one extremely toxic kidlet. Asked the staff where a changeroom was and they ummed and ahhed because the ONLY changeroom was INSIDE the women's toilets. It seems no-one ever entertained the thought of a Dad pushing a kid around in a pram.

The Centre staff were all uncomfortable about whether they should make a decision. I just went straight in, giving them the option of changing my girl in the open air and seriously damaging the centre air-conditioning.

Got some foul looks inside, but stuff it, what the hell else was I supposed to do?

Had to go into the women's only once. Doncaster Shoppintown. Roughly 1996-97-ish.

Needed to change one extremely toxic kidlet. Asked the staff where a changeroom was and they ummed and ahhed because the ONLY changeroom was INSIDE the women's toilets. It seems no-one ever entertained the thought of a Dad pushing a kid around in a pram.

The Centre staff were all uncomfortable about whether they should make a decision. I just went straight in, giving them the option of changing my girl in the open air and seriously damaging the centre air-conditioning.

Got some foul looks inside, but stuff it, what the hell else was I supposed to do?
Thankfully by the time my boys were born (2005 / 2007) shopping centres had by and large twigged keeping it like that was a good way to piss off fathers of young kids and had put in dedicated change rooms fathers are welcome in.

Faced with that, I wouldn't have gone back to that shopping centre until my kids were at least old enough to not need a change room. And probably not even then if at all could be avoided.

If it counts for anything, for work sometimes I need to go into mens and womens toilet rooms in office areas, and the womens are more disgusting, stinky and dirty than the mens.

These aren't public toilets though.

Id be taking them to the womens, in your scenario.

Good way to pick up single mums Id reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back