Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sportstalk, when did Plappy play in an NTFL GF? Would've thought he'd have been tied up at St Kilda/Port Adelaide SANFL/Devils in that time?
Happy to be corrected.

I just used him as part of the experienced brigade that's all, and certainly as a key player in the squad, especially with a fair bit of youth as well in that side.

Should also chuck Tim MacMichael and Matthew Smith in there too.

Firstly.......

Sportstalk, your mugshot is in this weeks edition of Huon News, you might want to add that to your collection of newspapers. Barge might want to purchase a copy of this and get it signed by you then it can take pride of place up on Mrs Barge's fridge door;)

Secondly......

Cygnet have announced in the Huon news as well that Michael Darcy has been re-appointed as coach for 2009:confused::confused: Why did they advertise a few weeks back for a new coach:confused::confused:

Thirdly.....

With Brad Curran announcing his retirement from the premier league, will we be seeing him join his brother down Dodges Ferry next year? That will be a lethal combination if this does happen.

Fourthly.......

Any more reports from the Lindisfarne camp after last weeks "shock" loss?
Whispers have filtered through of a mass player exodus to other clubs next year, plus salary cap breaches, with some players not being paid for six weeks prior to the grand final.

Firstly.......

Sportstalk, your mugshot is in this weeks edition of Huon News, you might want to add that to your collection of newspapers. Barge might want to purchase a copy of this and get it signed by you then it can take pride of place up on Mrs Barge's fridge door;)

Thirdly.....

With Brad Curran announcing his retirement from the premier league, will we be seeing him join his brother down Dodges Ferry next year? That will be a lethal combination if this does happen.

Well, to Barge, I'll probably be at the State final next week so he should bring a copy to North Hobart with the felt pen for me to sign :p

Heard this on the radio today, Kingpins mate Blair Brownless said it. Would be handy to have in there certainly.

Results today for those that are interested:
SFL Premier League Grand Final
Glenorchy 21.14-140 def North Hobart 12.7-79
Crowd: App 6500 at North Hobart
Horrie Gorringe Medal (Best on Ground): Damien McIver (Glenorchy)
Aaron Cornelius and Jay Bowden 4 goals each for Glenorchy, Robbie Devine 3 for North Hobart.

Reserves: Glenorchy 10.18-78 def Clarence 9.7-61
Colts: North Hobart 12.3-75 def Lauderdale 8.9-57

NTFL Grand Final
Launceston 17.18-120 def Burnie 14.23-107
Adam Derbyshire 10 for the Blues, getting the Wilf Barker Medal for BOG.

NTFA Prelim Final
Bracknell 13.10-88 def Longford 10.12-72
Chris Hills (Bracknell) scored 6 goals, Longford were awful all day and simply didn't deserve the victory what so ever. Their skill was disgraceful!

Reserves: Longford 13.12-90 def Deloraine 9.5-59
Colts: Deloraine 11.13-79 def George Town 10.3-63

Well, to Barge, I'll probably be at the State final next week so he should bring a copy to North Hobart with the felt pen for me to sign :p

Heard this on the radio today, Kingpins mate Blair Brownless said it. Would be handy to have in there certainly.

Results today for those that are interested:
SFL Premier League Grand Final
Glenorchy 21.14-140 def North Hobart 12.7-79
Crowd: App 6500 at North Hobart
Horrie Gorringe Medal (Best on Ground): Damien McIver (Glenorchy)
Aaron Cornelius and Jay Bowden 4 goals each for Glenorchy, Robbie Devine 3 for North Hobart.
North Hobart 12.17 (89) ;)

Attendance posted at 6,224 - I was there today and I was at last year's match where 7,091 was posted and there appeared quite a few more this year than last year :confused:
Someone's been playing funny buggers with the gate figures again by the looks of it.
Cadoras - I stood at the front of the Horrie Gorringe Stand and had a good chat with Diamond Des Minehan today.
Was great to catch up and have a chat with him :)
Anyone see the streaker in the last quarter? :D
Had everyone in hysterics this bloke. We heard the laughing on the terraces then this bloke in his birthday suit does the bolt down the terraces, bolts straight across the field, leaps the fence over into the old Wet Area next to the Ryde Street Stand, climbs the fence and bolts out into Ryde Street!
He got caught and got a bit of biffo from the fuzz apparently.
Showed a ton more dash than the North players did today.
Looking forward to watching Derbyshire in the State Grand Final next Saturday :thumbsu:

Attendance posted at 6,224 - I was there today and I was at last year's match where 7,091 was posted and there appeared quite a few more this year than last year :confused:
Someone's been playing funny buggers with the gate figures again by the looks of it.
Cadoras - I stood at the front of the Horrie Gorringe Stand and had a good chat with Diamond Des Minehan today.
Had everyone in hysterics this bloke. We heard the laughing on the terraces then this bloke in his birthday suit does the bolt down the terraces, bolts straight across the field, leaps the fence over into the old Wet Area next to the Ryde Street Stand, climbs the fence and bolts out into Ryde Street!
Looking forward to watching Derbyshire in the State Grand Final next Saturday :thumbsu:

Thanks, typo again....;)
Is it next Saturday or Sunday the State Final, I heard Sunday...so if it's Saturday, next time I go to Hobart is first week in October.
North were missing well and truly, a bit like Longford were up here today.
And Derbyshire v Curran next week....hmmmm...sounds a creamy prospect.

Yes State Final is on Sunday.
Old Scholars Final is on the Saturday :thumbsu:

PS: Good to see ABC Radio broadcasting the match today, I listened to the first quarter or so before I got around to the ground.
Geez I miss Peter Walsh commentating those games.

Good to hear that:thumbsu::thumbsu:, saw him last week at the Regional Grand Final, in the same spot where you chatted with him. Still getting about these days despite his bad foot. Often see him driving his trusty canary yellow torana around, with that moth eaten St Kilda beanie on his head.;)

Good to hear that:thumbsu::thumbsu:, saw him last week at the Regional Grand Final, in the same spot where you chatted with him. Still getting about these days despite his bad foot. Often see him driving his trusty canary yellow torana around, with that moth eaten St Kilda beanie on his head.;)

As Blighty said when co-commentating the Premier seniors GF that football needs characters. Des is certainly one of those.

Blighty did a great job on the mic and was very funny at times.

Got into (in a nice way) Devine and seemed that have a ball. I will upload footage soon.

Kingpin's favourite commentator Peter Newlands was at it again yesterday, calling North Hobart's Charlie Rae "Charlie Gardner"!

I'll be surprised if Brad Curran doesn't go home to Dodges, said on the radio it was his last game "for the club" (not retiring as such). I'm tipping he's not keen on the travel the Statewide League would contain.

Still up to it, easily. Would only be 30 wouldn't he?

Blacky Curran

It sure would be good to see Blacky play a few more seasons at Glenorchy.

Plenty of time for Regional as Junior is younger and well Statewide needs the best playing

Southern clubs only have to travel 4-5 times North I think so surely thats not a major issue as in the past.

I think Blacky is 29.

Kingpin's favourite commentator Peter Newlands was at it again yesterday, calling North Hobart's Charlie Rae "Charlie Gardner"!

I'll be surprised if Brad Curran doesn't go home to Dodges, said on the radio it was his last game "for the club" (not retiring as such). I'm tipping he's not keen on the travel the Statewide League would contain.

Still up to it, easily. Would only be 30 wouldn't he?

Brad is 30 this Thursday - he's already declared he will be at Dodges next season.

With Mick Bowden not wanting the top job at Glenorchy and Ben Beames returning to the state from his stint at Myrtleford, one would suggest he might be a chance of taking over at the Magpies next year.

I HOPED TO BE SAINT SAVIOUR

BRETT KOHLHAGEN
12/09/2008 9:04:00 AM
OUTGOING Myrtleford coach Ben Beams is confident the embattled club can claw its way out of one of the toughest troughs in its 61-year history in the Ovens and Murray Football League.
Beams, who stood down as coach earlier this week after being rocked by news he needed a second knee reconstruction, insisted the Saints had a vision for the future and could bounce back from the hardships surrounding the club and township.
While the former Melbourne player admitted Myrtleford was “hurting” after failing to win a game this year, he said it was on track in its quest to find a new coach.
Beams, 31, plans to return to his native Tasmania later this month and is uncertain if he will play football again.
“It’s frustrating and disappointing and a pretty tough time to be honest,” Beams said yesterday.
“I didn’t want to be selfish and do the wrong thing by Myrtleford, so we sat down and worked out that it was in the club’s best interests to find a new coach.
“I was worried about my knee a month ago and went and received a second opinion and was given the news I needed another reconstruction.
“I’m disappointed I couldn’t be the saviour at the Myrtleford Football Club because I had high hopes when I arrived, but the club is full of fantastic people and I know how hard they are working to turn things around.
“I think Myrtleford needs a positive person and, with the way my knee is at the moment, I don’t think I could have been that person.”
Beams joined Myrtle-ford at the start of last year and showed why he was hotly-pursued by the Saints with several scintillating performances before injuring his knee against Wodonga Raiders midway through the home and away series.
He took over as coach following Jason MacFarlane’s sudden departure at the end of last season but has been dogged by knee and ankle problems for the past 12 months.
“I came here hoping to be one of the best players in the Ovens and Murray and thought I was doing OK before I did my knee, but that’s how it goes,” he said.
“I have never been an injury-prone footballer so it’s difficult to take at the moment.
“Hopefully people will remember me for the early games I played at Myrtleford and not the last few.
“I’ll say my goodbyes, go home and hopefully find a job.
“As far as football goes, I’m not sure what the future holds.” The classy midfielder joined Myrtleford after captaining the Tasmanian Devils in the VFL for four seasons and previously played 23 AFL matches for Melbourne including the 2000 grand final loss to Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State Final is Sunday - really?

I'm in Tassie for mum's birthday from this Saturday until the following Friday (20th to the 26th)...birthday's on the Saturday night, might just get a ride down to Hobart the next day...

With SW next year, will this be the first and last state premiership in 30 years...?

Interesting to note that both combatants of the last state flag (Sandy Bay & Cooee) are both non-existent...

maybe about 1000 ppl jumped the fence??? ive never paid to go watch a local footy match and i probably never will. there is always a hole in the fence somewhere:thumbsu:

Luke Crane..former George Town boy won the Magarey Medal in the SANFL last night. Outstanding effort! He also polled well in 2007. Congratulations.

story below.

RICHLY talented Sturt on-baller Luke Crane last night engraved his name among the champions of the SANFL when he was crowned the 2008 Magarey Medallist. The diminutive rover maintained the dominance of midfielders when he polled 22 votes to claim the competition's most prestigious individual honour. South Adelaide youngster James Boyd stunned the count when he finished just three votes behind Tasmanian-raised Crane while Glenelg's hard-working Ty Allen was third, a vote further back.
Crane is the 16th player from the Double Blues to be recognised for his brilliance with the Medal.
He is the first since 2002 when Jade Sheedy and Tim Weatherald tied for the honour. That is also the year of Sturt's most recent premiership.
Surprisingly, Sheedy could manage no better than tied for 16th last night with just eight votes while Weatherald finished one vote higher after quitting Sturt for Norwood in May.
"I did not think I would poll that well at all – last year was more consistent," a humble Crane said.
"I'd like to thank Sturt for getting me down here (from Queensland). When they brought me down here for a look I knew straight away I wanted to be here. It is the best decision I have made in my life."
Last night's triumph confirms the incredible impact Crane has had on the state league after last year being lured from Queensland club Zillmere where he won three best and fairest awards.
Reflecting an outstanding debut season in the superior competition, Crane was last year named as Sturt's club champion. He also accumulated 14 votes in the 2007 Magarey to finish in a share of second, just five behind North Adelaide's James Allan.
This season Crane, who was also wooed by Woodville-West Torrens and Central District before opting to play at Unley, continued to combine his electrifying pace, tremendous skills and ball-winning ability to inflict immense damage on opponents.
Appearing in all 20 minor-round games, Crane amassed 445 possessions – 296 kicks and 149 handballs – at an average of 22 per match.
He took 71 marks and bagged 20 goals. His significant contribution to Sturt was rewarded with selection in the state team which smashed the VFL at Adelaide Oval in May.
Crane set the season alight from the opening round when he was awarded top votes in the comfortable win over Norwood, the Double Blues opponent in the first semi-final at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.
Umpires also considered him best on ground in three other games while he earned two votes in another five.
Boyd's prominence in the Medal count is an indication of his rapid progress in only his second season of league football.
The 2005 McCallum Medallist as the leading player in the under-17 competition, Boyd has been a prolific ball winner this season.
Woodville-West Torrens captain Mark McKenzie went into the count among the favourites but finished tied eighth. Port Adelaide Magpies' Jeremy Clayton, the 2005 Medallist, capped another superb season with 15 votes to finished seventh.
James Allan was tied fourth with 16 votes while Tiger and 2006 Medallist Brett Backwell finished tied with Sheedy.
The top three – Crane, Boyd and Allen – all polled more votes than West Adelaide (17) while Boyd earned half the votes allotted to South Adelaide.

Went to College with Craney back in 2001/02, and he wasn't a bad footballer then.
Teriffic fella and a top bloke as many are at G Town! Onya Craney!

Speaking of G Town, I'm thinking that they will create a big slice of history tommorrow against Bracknell, but it will be the first time that they will be really tested in the big one.
A win for G Town will be their 7th flag on the trot, breaking Launceston's old record of 6 flags in the NTFA from 1933-38 and actually they will draw level with Bracknell who won 7 in a row in the Esk Association from 1959-65.
Both sides are very even on the field, but the experience of George Town should be enough to swing the game late in the contest. For Bracknell to win they will need their spine from the backline and forwardline to lead the contest.

SENIORS

BRACKNELL v GEORGE TOWN
at Aurora Stadium, tomorrow 2:15pm

BRACKNELL
B: S. Graham, C. Hills, T. Fitzallen
HB: D. Blair, S.Minchin, J. Nunn
C: T. Walker, B. Wilson, D. Shelton
HF: N. Walker, J. French, N. Hamilton
F: K. Mulder, J. Adams, R. Woods
FOLL: A. Fleming, B. Porter, M. Bosworth
INT: K. Wyllie, J. Dale, P. Bassett, C. Archer.
EMERG: K. Blair, J. Jenkins, J. Peck, C. Burling, R. McConnon, B. Neil.

GEORGE TOWN
B: S. Marshall, C. McGrath, R. Cooke
HB: C. Hughes, D. Newton, Z. Noble
C: M. Jones, N. Johnstone, A. Zanevra
HF: J. Walsh, S. Muller, S. Axton
F: R. Heawood, M. Tuthill, C. Burr
FOLL: B. Tuthill, C. Jones, T. Allison
INTER: D. Hawkins, L. Saunders, M. Baker, K. King, M. Dornauf, T. Spinks, J. Rowe.
Tip: George Town by 22

Reserves: Scottsdale v Longford, 11:45 (Scottsdale by 34)
The Maggies are clearly the pick of the two sides, more even around the ground and should do the business.
Under 19's: Scottsdale v Deloraine, 9:30 (Deloraine by 1)
Very hard to pick, but was impressed with the Roo's last quarter against George Town especially when they held their composure.
Just hoping it isn't a draw so that we have to come back next week. Also hoping that the scoreboard attendant can count too...

Top effort from Luke Crane. I taught Luke in high school and he was a great young bloke. Had a little bit to do with coaching him in the schoolteam, i always thought that Alan O'Sign would actually be a better player. I also played alongside some of the boys i taught recently, and they're all really proud of what he has achieved.

NTFA Division One Grand Final
Sen: George Town 13.11-89 def Bracknell 6.11-47
Led all day the Saints and Bracknell kicked 7 points in the final term (which included 3 rushed behinds). The Redlegs had plenty of chances but the Saints did the damage when they had to do it.
Best on Ground (Clarrie Boon Medal): Chris Jones (George Town)

Res: Longford 8.8-56 def Scottsdale 8.7-55
A goal from Nathan Richardson with 3 minutes to go in the match put the Tigers in front and they held on from there.
Best on Ground (Graeme Khan Medal): Stuart Bowman (Scottsdale)

U19: Scottsdale 4.5-29 def Deloraine 4.1-25
In horrendous conditions, Scottsdale swung the match with a 2 goal third term to take the game out to a 10 point lead at the last change. Very tough game.
Best on Ground (National Pies Medal): Joel Hayes (Scottsdale)
Crowd at Aurora Stadium: Abt 4,100 which is not bad considering the rain, wind, hail, storms and even sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back