State Tasmanian Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy Stanlake has signed a two year deal with the Tigers,not a bad pickup if I must say my myself.

Article for anyone keen. I don't see him playing any shield games, but has proven when fit to be a good ODI player. Assume Hurricanes will also target him when he is out of contract in BBL.

In terms of contracts, not sure if T Paine plays on, but he will require a contact now that he isn't on the national list. I am guessing that Ian Carlilse will be surplus to requirements now Stanlake has signed on.

20-21 list for reference.

Squad: Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Nathan Ellis, Jarrod Freeman (rookie), Brad Hope (rookie), Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Mitch Owen (rookie), Tim Paine (CA contract), Nivethan Radhakrishnan (rookie), Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Mac Wright, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster

Last edited:
Strange decision from Stanlake. He's a fair way down the pecking order behind Bird, Siddle, Meredith, Ellis and probably Bell.

Strange decision from Stanlake. He's a fair way down the pecking order behind Bird, Siddle, Meredith, Ellis and probably Bell.
I'd rather see us pick up a couple of half-decent batsman, our batting has been average for so long.

I'd rather see us pick up a couple of half-decent batsman, our batting has been average for so long.

I'd love a decent opening bat. We tend to like churning through them before they become middle order bats.

Squad: Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Nathan Ellis, Jarrod Freeman (rookie), Brad Hope (rookie), Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Mitch Owen (rookie), Tim Paine (CA contract), Nivethan Radhakrishnan (rookie), Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Mac Wright, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster
I dont see much change with the 22/23 contract list. Wakim may be the only casualty and Doran deserves to be another. There are better keeper/batsmen in lower tier Tassie cricket. Paine has yet to announce his retirement so may see him retained in which case Doran has to be surplus to requirements. I see Mac Wright nailing down a middle order spot this year while I'd give Jarrod Freeman an upgrade and possibly Brad Hope. Carlisle was picked as a contracted player last season.. did he actually play a match. Surely he now deserves his chance specially with Siddle (has he retired) and Bird nearing the end as Tassie will need a next gen quick to join Neil-Smith, Meredith, Bell/Rainbird in the Tiger's attack. Ellis should have his chance in shield as well as ODD and BBL. From memory he blitzed 17/18 poles in three consecutive shield games but since has barely had a game..

Last edited:
The national program is alot more structured and integrated, so Ellis was rested on several occasions this season to keep him fit for ODI/T20 tours/consideration. When fit, he is definitely in the top 3-4 fast bowlers (Bird, Siddle, Ellis, LNS, Meredith). I don't rate Meredith in the longer form and he is regularly injured anyway.

Contacts list has been confirmed - no contract for T Paine and no announcement to clarify his standing. I could see him retire from Shield and just play T20, probably leaving Hobart and moving to a weaker T20 team that could use him as an opener.

Tasmanian Tigers 2022-23 contract list: Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Nathan Ellis, Brad Hope, Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Billy Stanlake, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster, Mac Wright. Rookies: Nick Davis, Jarrod Freeman, Mitch Owen, Nivethan Radhakrishnan

Ins: Nick Davis, Billy Stanlake. Outs: Tim Paine

The national program is alot more structured and integrated, so Ellis was rested on several occasions this season to keep him fit for ODI/T20 tours/consideration. When fit, he is definitely in the top 3-4 fast bowlers (Bird, Siddle, Ellis, LNS, Meredith). I don't rate Meredith in the longer form and he is regularly injured anyway.

Contacts list has been confirmed - no contract for T Paine and no announcement to clarify his standing. I could see him retire from Shield and just play T20, probably leaving Hobart and moving to a weaker T20 team that could use him as an opener.

Tasmanian Tigers 2022-23 contract list: Tom Andrews, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Iain Carlisle, Jake Doran, Nathan Ellis, Brad Hope, Caleb Jewell, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Sam Rainbird, Peter Siddle, Jordan Silk, Billy Stanlake, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Tim Ward, Beau Webster, Mac Wright. Rookies: Nick Davis, Jarrod Freeman, Mitch Owen, Nivethan Radhakrishnan

Ins: Nick Davis, Billy Stanlake. Outs: Tim Paine
Do you know much about Nick Davis?

so Ellis was rested on several occasions this season to keep him fit for ODI/T20 tours/consideration. When fit, he is definitely in the top 3-4 fast bowlers (Bird, Siddle, Ellis, LNS, Meredith). I don't rate Meredith in the longer form and he is regularly injured anyway.

Likewise. Have to watch not isolating Ellis from red ball by pigeon- holing him in white ball as he has ability to play all formats. I rate LNS above all those blokes. Doran picked again. He and Jake Lehmann have to be the luckiest cricketers in Australia. Feel for Jarrod Freeman not being upgraded as he has often outbowled fellow tweaker Tom Andrews when given a crack for the Tigers.

Saddest omission is Tim Paine. Scribes saying that he is done and dusted. Tassie bosses say he is still on mental health leave but intends resuming Premier with Tas Uni. Then if form warrants, a Tigers return is not out of the equasion.
Do you know much about Nick Davis?
Cant recall coming across him in Tassie lower tier cricket. See if I can find some gen on him. May be another import.

This will answer your question.
Young Glenorchy all-rounder, Nick Davis, has been selected as a Tigers rookie after impressing in the Cricket Tasmania Premier Academy for the past two seasons.

Nick Davis is a phantom as I can not find his name listed anywhere in Premier League stats. What is certain is he is the only cricketer selected from 67 Academy candidates so he must be a real find.

Last edited:
Cricket Tasmania Premier Academy
Those people at Tassie Cricket are a visionary lot by identifying the best underage club cricketers from across the Apple Isle thru its Premier Academy/Pathway program. The selected cricketers between ages 15-18 are considered to have the attributes to perform at a higher level than club cricket, or already have a proven performance record at either CTPL or underage National Championship-level. Once selected the boys are formed into four squads for the Academy Winter High Performance program in which they must attend two training sessions a week to work on skill development, strength and conditioning, as well as cricket IQ, with the aim to bridge the gap between the CTPL and upper tier cricket.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy Stanlake has been release from his Melbourne Stars contract early, and has signed with the Hobart Hurricanes.

I would be shocked if we see him playing ODIs for Tassie before christmas, with a view to getting him right for December and the BBL.

Given his injury problems, anything outside of the BBL in 2022/23 is gravy. With a bit of luck he will sneak in some Tassie ODIs after BBL.

Can't see him playing Sheffield Shield until 2023/2024.

I didn't have a problem with them offering Faulkner a reduced contract due to him not playing FC cricket and not getting on the park in white ball cricket anyway but to turn around and pick up Stanlake who is basically in the exact same spot is not great IMO.

Josh Kann just pounded 112 off 46 balls in the KFC t20 Max in Brisbane. Anyone know his BBL status? Obviously signed a one year deal with the 'Canes last season but where is he headed this one?

Josh Kann just pounded 112 off 46 balls in the KFC t20 Max in Brisbane. Anyone know his BBL status? Obviously signed a one year deal with the 'Canes last season but where is he headed this one?

After Stanlake signing, there are 4 spots left. I'm assuming one is for Boland, leaving 3. I think Handscomb leaves? Mac Wright probably gets one. Last spot will be used for injuries and depth closer to the tournament beginning.

Hobart Hurricanes BBL|12 squad (so far): Asif Ali (Pakistan), Faheem Ashraf (Pakistan), Tim David, Nathan Ellis, Caleb Jewell, Shadab Khan (Pakistan), Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Mitch Owen, Joel Paris, Wil Parker, D'Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Matthew Wade

Billy Stanlake has been release from his Melbourne Stars contract early, and has signed with the Hobart Hurricanes.

I would be shocked if we see him playing ODIs for Tassie before christmas, with a view to getting him right for December and the BBL.

Given his injury problems, anything outside of the BBL in 2022/23 is gravy. With a bit of luck he will sneak in some Tassie ODIs after BBL.

Can't see him playing Sheffield Shield until 2023/2024.
Given Tassie isn't a national team, playing ODIs for Tassie is a stretch. We know you mean ListA but it does look odd.

Silk announced as captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back