Tax Return

Remove this Banner Ad

My accountant (Navacue) have jacked up their charge from $150 to $200 this year. Fairly excessive considering there's nothing overly complex about my returns.

Anyone recommend me a decent accountant in Melbourne for a more reasonable price?

eTax

My accountant (Navacue) have jacked up their charge from $150 to $200 this year. Fairly excessive considering there's nothing overly complex about my returns.

Anyone recommend me a decent accountant in Melbourne for a more reasonable price?
That's about standard for basic TRs for Melbourne accounting firms. Lots of city firms are looking to increase their revenue by moving more to consultancy than compliance (tax returns) because they can charge more for it.. hence price increases encouraging people to do their own tax/go elsewhere. Look around the suburbs or maybe just H&R Block.

Tax question here

I find that I am up for paying Division 293 tax this year.

I'm not complaining about it, but what I am upset by is that there's a subgroup of people who are exempt. And not "worthy" people like returned soldiers, but persons listed as "state higher-level office holders" with "constitutionally protected funds are exempt.

Does this sound like absolute discrimination/ bullshift?

Would there be grounds to complain to the Equal opportunity board that this exemption is unjust/ illegal?

Tax question here

I find that I am up for paying Division 293 tax this year.

I'm not complaining about it, but what I am upset by is that there's a subgroup of people who are exempt. And not "worthy" people like returned soldiers, but persons listed as "state higher-level office holders" with "constitutionally protected funds are exempt.

Does this sound like absolute discrimination/ bullshift?

Would there be grounds to complain to the Equal opportunity board that this exemption is unjust/ illegal?

stop contributing into super if you are self employed. there are far better vehicles to use for retirement.

stop contributing into super if you are self employed. there are far better vehicles to use for retirement.
Not self employed. So it's all employer contributions which are attracting 30% rather than 15% tax. As I said, have no issue paying, just upset that some special snowflakes don't.

Short answer is suck it up.

It sucks for you but CPFs aren't exactly new.
Not saying they are new, but saying it is unfair. Could try applying pressure via media etc, want to hear those snowflakes justify their special status.

ok so I've just lodged my tax return via mygov and I'm a bit confused with the calculation of my estimated return. I'm a full time employed wage earner and earned $110,000 last financial year and paid a little over $30,000 in tax. I did my own lodgement and my estimated return is $183. Most of my work related expenses are covered by the company so there's not a lot I can claim for except laundry, union fees and small charity donations here and there.

My workmate who earned exactly the same as me had his return done by an accountant yet he gets a return of over $7000!! WTF? How can that be right? What could he possibly be doing that I'm not?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep his employment is exactly the same as mine. I'm wondering if he's paying more tax than he needs to during the year so he gets a better return but I'm not sure if that's even a possibility?

Yeah i realise that, I'm just trying to figure out how I can get a return like his considering we earn the same. It hurts seeing him buy a jet ski with his return and the best I can do with mine is pay the phone bill.

ok so I've just lodged my tax return via mygov and I'm a bit confused with the calculation of my estimated return. I'm a full time employed wage earner and earned $110,000 last financial year and paid a little over $30,000 in tax. I did my own lodgement and my estimated return is $183. Most of my work related expenses are covered by the company so there's not a lot I can claim for except laundry, union fees and small charity donations here and there.

My workmate who earned exactly the same as me had his return done by an accountant yet he gets a return of over $7000!! WTF? How can that be right? What could he possibly be doing that I'm not?

mobile?
car? this is normally $3k or so back by itself
any investments? thus interest and costs of managing affairs?
costs for managing your tax affairs?
safety equipment?

I dare say to be $7k different, there is an investment property or more likely different WHT each month

Maybe claimed for dubiously provable (dis provable) items like
- home office
- late shift/ long shift meal allowances
- investment property?
- travel between work sites in own vehicle (that one adds up quickly)

Ok complete newbie here on tax
Will be claiming the 5000 km on tax thing and thats easy to work out just over 3 grand but im struggling to figure out, or read an easy way, the whole depreciation thing or claiming for car servicing and tyres etc etc
Would be using the car easily 70% for work as an estimate

Edit
Just found this which helps a bit
https://www.etax.com.au/claim-car-expenses-small-business-owner-logbook-method/

Might buy a cheap runner for work.

Last edited:
Ok complete newbie here on tax
Will be claiming the 5000 km on tax thing and thats easy to work out just over 3 grand but im struggling to figure out, or read an easy way, the whole depreciation thing or claiming for car servicing and tyres etc etc
Would be using the car easily 70% for work as an estimate

Edit
Just found this which helps a bit
https://www.etax.com.au/claim-car-expenses-small-business-owner-logbook-method/

Might buy a cheap runner for work.
what line of work are you in?