Opinion Taylor Duryea

Is Duryea in the best 22?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very confident that the Doc is just about in Hawthorn's best 22. In my view, it's rather pointless to ask whether he would be in Hawthorn's 22 if Suckling, Schoenmakers and Birchall were available for selection, because right now, they are not.

Having watched Duryea at VFL level, he has the necessary tools to be an AFL level player of some competence. Now that he is stringing games together and hitting the KPIs the coaches set for him in games, the coaches and selectors have confidence in him each week. He's a tough player with good skills. He's taken time to develop, but the club has been patient with him and now it is reaping the benefits.

He can kick well on his right!!
As others have said he has been in the 22 for 12 games only missing 1 through injury & straight back in. I think we have a best 25 & it will depend on who we are playing re match ups. Doc & Goo have played a number of games together so it does not have to be one or the other? He has played against all the top sides Cats Pies Freo Swans also Carlton west coast, crows & port both at home so it will come down to availability & match ups. We are on top of the ladder which is why some good players will miss out come finals. It is the position we need to be in for success!!

Had his best game last weekend in my opinion. Is now a stayer in any circumstance.

So assuming Franklin, Birchall, Sewell (I am sure he will play later on) and Shiels all play - which 4 miss out.

I will go with Hale, Guerra, Cheney and I don't know

Still learning. I like what I see but still not 100% on him as a best 22 prospect. Thought Monfries and Gray had the better of him especially in the first half. Second half was a much improved effort but really we were dominant during that time.

You can see him growing in confidence though. The bit of play in the third that ended in a Hill behind was a case in point. One of my favourites for 2013. I was really impressed with his defensive performance the week before too. Didn't get a lot of it but handled the revolving door of Geelong smaller forwards really well. Was at different times opposed to Duncan, Caddy, Motlop and Guthrie and did not concede one goal. Not exactly titans of the game but he was sturdy.

Gotta say though, it is very tempting to settle our backline as they have been brilliant this year and Doc has been a part of it, given he has now played 12 of our last 13 matches. With Goo seemingly relieved of his last line duties for now and playing a bit higher at times maybe they will co-exist.

Duryea - Lake - Stratton
Guerra - Gibson - Mitchell

With Birch, Burgoyne, Whitecross and Hodge all capable elsewhere and going back at times of need.

Dipper and Tuck (Michael0 spent similar long apprenticeships, and we know how great they were for Hawthorn. Maybe Doc has a few mates that are ready to take the next step with him. IMO our future looks good, just wish we would sign Hill!

I made a comment about him not being ready to play in the Sydney?? game or another game against a bigger bodied team due to size and being a younger player. I was quickly, and rightly, corrected about his size and attack on the ball. He is a big bodied kid (ish) and is fearless at attacking the ball.

He suits our defensive style PERFECTLY. Hard at it, rolls off his man to give support, has dash, has a great kick and makes great decisions for a 10 gamer. Hell, he makes great decisions for a 50 gamer. His decision making is ahead of where Breust, Smith, WhiteX or Poppies was at 10 games for sure. Maybe it was the little extra time plying his craft in the twos.

I already have him ahead of, thats right, AHEAD of Birchall and Suckling defensively and I think he gives us about 70 - 80% of what they do offensively.

I think he will be a 200 game player for the Hawks and is a ready made replacement for Goo. If Cheney keeps playing the way he did on Saturday he may even take Goos spot and let Doc loose in the midfield next year.
I made a comment about him not being ready to play in the Sydney?? game or another game against a bigger bodied team due to size and being a younger player. I was quickly, and rightly, corrected about his size and attack on the ball. He is a big bodied kid (ish) and is fearless at attacking the ball.

He suits our defensive style PERFECTLY. Hard at it, rolls off his man to give support, has dash, has a great kick and makes great decisions for a 10 gamer. Hell, he makes great decisions for a 50 gamer. His decision making is ahead of where Breust, Smith, WhiteX or Poppies was at 10 games for sure. Maybe it was the little extra time plying his craft in the twos.

I already have him ahead of, thats right, AHEAD of Birchall and Suckling defensively and I think he gives us about 70 - 80% of what they do offensively.

I think he will be a 200 game player for the Hawks and is a ready made replacement for Goo. If Cheney keeps playing the way he did on Saturday he may even take Goos spot and let Doc loose in the midfield next year.
Ahead of Suckling but not Birchill defensively

It's surprising how high he can jump. It catches my eye every time. The height and hang-time he gets is just uncanny.

From memory he recorded an 84cm vertical leap at draft camp.

EDIT: 82 cm

"Chris Pelchen has revealed to HawksTV that Taylor Duryea has a vertical leap of 82cm!"

To put that into perspective, Nic Naitanui measured a 79cm leap. The record is 85cm, held by Dean Towers, breaking Trent Croad's 15 year record of 83cm.

I'm not sure how good he may be, but isn't it great to have an exciting young player coming through the ranks, when they've spent a couple of years in our system?

Particularly when most of the Box Hill watchers here wrote him off completely ...
Not me :D.

I'm not sure how good he may be, but isn't it great to have an exciting young player coming through the ranks, when they've spent a couple of years in our system?

Particularly when most of the Box Hill watchers here wrote him off completely ...
AGAIN ......not most ...o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now, yes he is best 22. Keeps getting selected every week, keeps doing his job for the team and acknowledging he still has a lot to learn (see him & Hodge after the Port game).

Maybe next year we can give him a real number?

I've said no, as I don't think he is a lock for best 22, but he is working his way towards it. Only knock is his brainfades, and whilst Goo has these as well, I just think in a final you'd back Goo over him.

His kicking is elite though and I think he is a perfect replacement for Goo, or could be a potential midfield option if he can build his stamina.

Been a superb debut season for him though. Really impressive

AGAIN ......not most ...o_O

You're welcome to point out the posts in which you said he had something to offer,

Every week, I read all the Box Hill reports, and he was consistently panned over the past 2-3 years.
The consensus here was that he offered little and the Hawks were stupid to keep him on the list.

I've been on this site for a looong time, and many of our current players have had the same treatment.

The secret is not to write players off too early, or write them up too early.

Impressed with this kid. I remember the game against you guys earlier this season where early on Elliot gave Guerra a touch up. Duryea went to Elliot and kept him quiet from there on.

I have to agree Davo23 the most frequent comment in his first 2 yrs was list clogger!! Last year and I think it was to be fair, comments from HBD & TFP which noted his pace, footy brain & kicking skills. Posters then started to look at how he played judging him on his performance rather than brainlessly trotting out the too slow doesn't have it crap.
I agree players get talked up & talked down far too quickly.

You're welcome to point out the posts in which you said he had something to offer,

Every week, I read all the Box Hill reports, and he was consistently panned over the past 2-3 years.
The consensus here was that he offered little and the Hawks were stupid to keep him on the list.

I've been on this site for a looong time, and many of our current players have had the same treatment.

I have seen almost every game the kid has played including his games in the development squad. The best thing they (HFC) ever did was move him to the backline as a half back flanker. This even though we had a host of half back flankers at the time. He looked completely lost as a forward even in the development squad. He did kick one of the better goals seen down at box hill in one of those development games however :).

Soon after his move to the backline he trotted out about 5 games in a row where he showed what he could do defensively the kid had courage and wasn't scared to throw his body at the contest and yes it was hard not to notice his lethal left foot when streaming out of that backline. Just as he was finding his feet (pun intended) he succumed to a foot injury. I remember saying at the time that the kids got something and was really showing it. I thought he would stay on the list. he has had a host of injuries.

Last year in the VFL final series he played his best game against the cats. After seeing that game I felt it was only a matter of time before he came in. Suckers getting injured was his opportunity and he took it. yes he will make mistakes kids do early on in their career great to see him flourishing in the backline for us and he is getting better and better as he plays each game.

I know he's highly rated and apparently trained really well, but what in the 16 minutes of NAB cup over 2 years from Woodward gives you confidence he can play his role for a full match at the highest level when the heat is on. I don't want to put him down or anything but lets be honest, he is still yet to prove he can play VFL or even VFL 2nds.

Understand your view, and it's a fair point, I suppose i just liked the look of the kid. Quite a solid build so looks like he could handle the physical side of things, was captain of his TAC club and best on ground ( or very close ) in a grand final win says a little something about his character and playing ability aswell. I'm not saying he would tear it up or walk in and be a regular, was just a referral to the great position we find ourselves in having good depth at the club. Pretty much any player could miss and anyone of the names listed could come in and do their bit for a week or two to cover. Not many teams have that luxury.
Go Hawks !

Being you post is directed at me ......
You are way off the mark if you think I'm one that writes players off to early .....in fact you could not be further from the truth champ .
Same goes with TFP .....always at BH , Always looking at the positives ..

I wasn't terribly impressed with his first few games, but he has really found is feet recently, and he's almost at the point where I prefer him in the side to Suckling. He's not nearly as damaging by foot as Suckers, but he's so much safer down back. Not only because he is much better defensively, but he doesn't shank his kicks like Suckers does far too often.

I wasn't terribly impressed with his first few games, but he has really found is feet recently, and he's almost at the point where I prefer him in the side to Suckling. He's not nearly as damaging by foot as Suckers, but he's so much safer down back. Not only because he is much better defensively, but he doesn't shank his kicks like Suckers does far too often.

Suckling is the highest risk vs reward kick I have ever seen. Duryea is a safer kick (but pretty good) and is better defensively. Suckling provides us with a goal threat from half back - Duryea doesn't. Duryea is a better defeender than Suckling. So as you see we would be better off if both were in the team. It is not a case of one or the other - just a comaprison of strengths and weaknesses between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back