Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If stupidity ever becoe a crime mate

Or maybe he is a moral coward as well as being a racist. And is too gutless to admit his bigotry. A lot of it going on around here.

And there it is, in all its glory

The moral outrage and indignation I referred to.

He is most likely too uneducated to realise it,

But you straight away LABEL , then ABUSE and CATEGORISE, traits so common when dealing with justice warriors

disclaimer: tone and delivery is everything, I wasn't there and didn't hear what was said

If the Goodes "celebration" was a celebration at the Carlton game, then it would have been directed towards his own supporters. It would have been awesome and would have been a massive PR positive for Goodes.

You celebrate with your own supporters.

You do not celebrate TO opposition supporters.

However, read all the press and it was a "celebration".

I just think Goodes is just a typical footballer and is pretty stupid, if he did one or two things a little differently he would rightly be praised everywhere and been a really positive influence on society.

Not his fault really, he thinks he is doing the right thing for the right reasons. But he is no diplomatic genius able to both highlight prejudice and unite people at the same time.

Has anyone this week even mentioned the fact that West Coast bent over Sydney at all?

Nope.
We even got a trophy and beat them for the first time in ages. Smashed them actually.
Once again we are quietly stamping our mark...I don't think I've ever seen such a good season fly under the radar so heavily.
It's even good, high scoring footy to watch...shits crazy haha

let's not forget jk is better than buddy now

Cheers

Numbers don't mean much, that doesn't prove that he doesn't play for free kicks, or stages. I can't stand the flog ever since the last time Sydney played Richmond, when he and buddy were totally harassing Rance, such a dirty way to play football.
Haha - U cannot be cereal -you play the Hawks next week-time to toughen up I'd suggest.;)

Can you imagine the uproar if Goodes didn't accept the AOTY award on the grounds of the ongoing mistreatment of indigenous people? Wow now that would have created a lot more heated debate than a cultural dance during indigenous round. It's not like the dude had a choice in the matter.
I reckon that would have won him much more respect with the wider public.

You might just be reaffirming my belief that sarcasm can be hard to detect on forums sometimes.

Fair call. You weren't reading sarcasm, no, but can understand the wiggle room I left! You and a couple other moderators challenged my belief you all think alike in the social justice warrior mindset.

Just to reiterate, we are not black apes or white apes

We are great apes.. what a pity we don't act it

This is the grub that when he played for the Swans kicked a young Hawthorn player in the head while he was laying on the ground and racially vilified the great indigenous footballer Chris Lewis. No credibility Dermie and good luck with the defamation. Just what good reputation has been damaged here?

I'm not sure how the Rayden Tallis headstomp is relevant.

Brereton has admitted to being acting in a racist manner in the past to put footballers off their game without actually realising the consequences to his victims. He has claimed to be ashamed and remorseful of those actions and has gone out of his way to apoligise to those he has offended (as he should). He is the only person in the media shitstorm who has actually admitted to behaving in a racist manner, this almost makes him an expert on the topic. I would listen to Brereton's wind baggery on this topic far before I would listen to the likes of Leach and Wilson who vilify, slander and stereo type whole crowds of people without any convincing evidence that they are indeed racist

What exactly is it about Brereton's views that you find offensive? I thought he said the boo-ing is wrong and that Goodes might want to consider if his behaviour has contributed to the crowd's attitude whether it might be worth changing his behaviour. I don't think he was referring to Goodes' political agenda, but his on field stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RealFooty website @ SMH

98ui6d.jpg

As McGuire used to say, "what a week in footy it's been" :rolleyes:

There were plenty of people here on Big Footy (and on talkback radio) who didn't know the word "ape" had an historical racist connotation. That became pretty clear in the aftermath. Maybe it's a cultural thing here in Australia - a racist epithet that went out of vogue years ago. I reckon I only learned about it's racial edge when I was in my late teens and I started hearing about African soccer players copping it from fans in the European leagues.

I heard plenty of derogatory words about aboriginals when I was growing up, but "ape" was never one of them.

Pity it was English players who copped the banana's thrown at them in the late 80's. You would be deluded if you think calling an black person an "ape" didn't have any historical racist connotation.

This are just one example from a quick You Tube search

Fair call. You weren't reading sarcasm, no, but can understand the wiggle room I left! You and a couple other moderators challenged my belief you all think alike in the social justice warrior mindset.

No, the sarcasm in my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its 2015.
If people don't understand that calling an indigenous man an ape is offensive, then that is exactly why Goodes needs to draw attention to this issue.
Pretty generous to attribute it to a ' schoolyard taunt'.
It was 2013, actually. And a 13yo girl in 2013 is not much different to a 13yo girl in 2003, 1993 or 1983. They don't have the life experience to understand everything you take for granted as an adult. Cast your mind back to being in form 1 or year 7. Don't know about you, but I did some horrendous things at that age. I had a good upbringing and all, but I was just a kid. I didn't understand the world nor the consequence of my actions. This is the reason why minors are treated differently under our laws and their identities are never revealed.

Many many people did not appreciate Adam Goodes using a 13yo girl as a political football. That's a fact. Unpalatable for some people, but an undeniable fact.

I'm not sure why anyone who holds this view is branded as racist. It seems like a basic, decent, human reaction to side with a kid when things get out of hand. e.g. If an adult was provoked by kids on the public transport and they decided to decided to teach teach them a lesson and get physical, I'm not sure whether it would fly with the other passengers, even if it was fully deserved. Kids will be kids.

I didn't have any issues with Goodes reacting and pointing the girl out to security, but I can understand why other people didn't like the way he continued on with it the following day. Goodes is an experienced footballer in his 30's and savvy with the media. He knows how it works. He fully understands the power he wields and he uses his platform expertly.

I HATE Alan Jones, but I think he is spot on when he says many people did not agree with the public humiliation of a 13yo girl which Goodes played his role in (not by pointing her out, but the next day when he maintained the rage and spoke about racism and slandered her upbringing, instead of giving a kid the benefit of the doubt.)

Last edited:
Pity it was English players who copped the banana's thrown at them in the late 80's. You would be deluded if you think calling an black person an "ape" didn't have any historical racist connotation.

This are just one example from a quick You Tube search

Sure. Africans in England. But we aren't there and we didn't historically have African sentiments here in regards to racial slurs or all follow soccer to see these more recent examples??

I specifically asked to be shown proof of ape being used by Australians on aboriginals not including during the invasion era, so examples of it happening as a slur 20,30,40,50,70 years ago all valid timeframe -- demonstrate it was utilised over that course of time to denigrate aboriginals, and no evidence came forth.

I also realize I can't publicly talk s**t on my most hated player of the past 10 years anymore without the brainwashed left or uneducated simpletons thinking im racist.
Theres a lot of similar people to u in jail (negative types).Maybe u would fit in there a bit better.Hatred and death.Good to see football has such a positive influence on u.

I've said it so many times in this thread, and I'll say it again.

If you have consistently booed Adam Goodes for years, you are almost certainly not a racist. If you have or intend to boo him after the Carlton game, but HAVEN'T before, you are a racist. It's as simple as that and I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp.

So Hawthorn fans almost certainly aren't racist then? I'm so confused.

Why can't you Sydney fans be consistent when attributing my motivations? Please, tell me what to think!

Theres a lot of similar people to u in jail (negative types).Maybe u would fit in there a bit better.Hatred and death.Good to see football has such a positive influence on u.

Yes, because that is the one and only thing I get out of football tbh

You're a bit worked up there, champ

The one that makes me shake my head is when somehow blame Goodes and his AOTY for kick starting this groundswell of sentiment.

Here's the thing. Goodes didn't ask for that award. AOTY is a political award, absolutely; in this case, it was awarded in the name of a government which probably felt it had some work to do in terms of its image in relation to Aboriginal issues in general. Was he the right recipient? I don't know, but he didn't ask to be the one and he was hardly in a position to say no; indeed, the outcry would probably have been even greater.

And considering some of the other recipients of the AOTY over the years, I'm not sure he stands out as an outstandingly bad choice anyway. In fact, he flat out doesn't.

The one area where I don't think Goodes has helped himself is how he's articulated himself. What he's said, viewed in totality, isn't necessarily wrong, but he doesn't seem to be the type to dilute his message for his audience and that's probably rubbed people up the wrong way.

Quite simply, my view is that the peculiarly Australian mien that seems to predominate- "shut up and get on with it"- is exactly the sort of thing that will clash with the message that Goodes, I think, wants to get across- that Australia as a nation still has a lot of work to do in confronting the darker (no pun intended) aspects of its past. I don't think Australians, as a rule, like the less palatable aspects of the nation's history being forensically examined and nor do they like the fact we've still got much work to do in eradicating prejudice being examined either.

Anyhow, I've said elsewhere that I suspect this situation won't be properly resolved until Goodes retires because, sadly, it's now become stuck in a vicious cycle- a loop if you like- that will keep feeding itself until Goodes no longer appears on the football field.

And that's bloody sad for someone who, for all his occasional onfield faults, is still a champion of the game and for someone who has undoubtedly done a great service in the long run, even if it's not yet apparent, to his own community in getting these issues more into the public domain.

It really is sad.

When the person receiving one of the highest honours in the country says they are not proud to be Australian , you wonder why they accepted it - call me cynical but could it have been just another " platform" so he could be " outspoken" ?
And where's the outrage at other award winners who do the exact same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back