Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting take on this - are we arguing about entirely the wrong thing? Probably.

Last week, a 23-year-old non-Indigenous man in Darwin walked free after a hit and run that killed a 8-year-old Aboriginal boy – Jack Sultan Page.

Michael Alexander, who was also charged and fined for possession of methamphetamine, faced a 10-year maximum jail sentence. Instead he was given six months home detention and an 18-month suspended jail sentence.
And the fact that this week, we again as a nation would rather debate the latest Adam Goodes controversy, says even more about our unwillingness to confront the real problem in this country – the insidious institutionalised racism that privileges non-Indigenous Australia over the First Peoples of this country. - See more at: https://newmatilda.com/2015/07/28/i...death-black-child-doesnt#sthash.tMycIfSN.dpuf

No .. Hawks started it @ round 8. I was there. I could not believe it. There is a massive thread that will show this. What have you done ? Why did you go that hard on that night ?

So he hadn't been booed between the infamous Pies game and the round 8 game this year?

Like whenever he touches the ball? Like as loud as Goodes? I don't think so, and he is just as dirty. The boos goodes receives are racially fuelled and there's no two ways about it

You are objectively wrong and I can't believe that you actually believe what you're typing. I'm hoping that this is either some elaborate troll, or that I'll wake up from this nightmare where people like you exist.

While he is personally priviliged, he's representative of a larger group who, in mainstream Australian society, are not priviliged. If he (or other indigenous people with a platform) doesn't speak up, who will? Many indigenous Australians don't have a voice and their arguments would not be heard. With Goodes, he IS heard and I think that is a good and important thing. I also agree that his activism and political beliefs are a big factor in the booing - the problem is that his activism and political beliefs are only on race issues, so when people boo that, it is inevitably entangled with the "racist" banner. I think it's aa complicated issue and not one entirely brought on by racism but I feel like, given it's clear that HE takes it as a racist taunt and that NOT BOOING someone is a very easy choice to make, people should just acquiesce. Seems childish, boneheaded and pointlesss to insist on continued booing because "They can't tell me what to do!"

*not claiming that is YOUR attitude, BTW - just extrapolating on my own thoughts...

If that is his ambition, then this 'infamy' will be useful to him in his brand going forrward. It may not be such a bad thing. Not meant in a sarcastic way, fwiw.

Personally I have always maintained that its a bit imprecise to find logic in mob behaviour, its just stipid, morionic and ive done it myself. Argiung about it to the level that dermott brereton publicly threatened bec wilson with a writ is pretty unproductive.

Also some of the journos who are now whining the loudest not so long ago praised hostile away environments like adelaide oval and in the US.
This is very much a part of such away environments. 12th man and all that

Jobe Watson wasn't booed for 8+ weeks straight every touch of the ball(minus Sydney games). Goodes has been, and we don't know if he's taking a week of yet. He's got a couple days of and might play this weekend.
Only because he gets more touches.

No .. Hawks started it @ round 8. I was there. I could not believe it. There is a massive thread that will show this. What have you done ? Why did you go that hard on that night ?
That night? I was booing Goodes in the GF. You only think it started @ round 8 because that's when the media beat up started. Go watch games last year and you'll see.

Whatever your opinion is, it comes down to this:

Is booing illegal? No

Is racial vilification illegal? Yes

People are well within their rights to sook, whinge and cry about the booing. There is no law against that. There is also no law against booing. So regardless of what everyone thinks, those booing will continue to do so and those crying will do likewise. I will be booing Adam Goodes the next time I see him play. I don't give a continental what Mr McLachlan thinks, nor what Goodes and Jetta think and neither do those booing. Just like the cry babies don't care what us who boo think.

So people who want to boo, boo away. It is your legal right and Mr McLachlan and the rest of the Moral Paladins can do nothing about it except cry. Cheers everyone!

images
So the fact that the aboriginal community is now interpreting the booing as being racially motivated (rightly or wrongly) doesn't change your thinking?

What if Michael Walters says he's offended by the booing of Goodes? Daniel Pearce? What needs to be said for you to reconsider your thinking and by who?

So what you are basically saying is that you feel sorry for Lewis Jetta because he has been told that it is ok to stand up for himself. Also since when has racisim never not been a complicated issue.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

Read my post again carefully

That's the thing with you, you're very good at twisting peoples words to get the outcome you want. I say this because if you notice I also said he was outspoken. That certainly doesn't imply what you are saying I am. But of course you won't mention that part because it doesn't fit in with you trying to rubbish me.
Not really. When given the opportunity to say what you thought the difference with Long and Goodes, you didn't say anything about him standing up for his people, or being unrelenting in the face of criticism, being unwilling to put up with a sub-par response for the AFL, or being outspoken. Your initial response were three seperate points on how he didn't rock the boat and you didn't say anything about the rest until I pointed that out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That night? I was booing Goodes in the GF. You only think it started @ round 8 because that's when the media beat up started. Go watch games last year and you'll see.

Its called a hostile crowd, and we probably stopped on the day because booing an insipid team like sydney seemed a bit pointless

Jobe Watson was crying on the field.

Adam Goodes has said he found it disappointing and frustrating when asked about it after the game.
Yeah, that's right, that was pretty funny. What wasn't funny was him using that emotion to drag the bombers over the line... I though we had that one in the bag.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So the fact that the aboriginal community is now interpreting the booing as being racially motivated (rightly or wrongly) doesn't change your thinking?

What if Michael Walters says he's offended by the booing of Goodes? Daniel Pearce? What needs to be said for you to reconsider your thinking and by who?

I think its just easier to not boo anyone, full stop, not even white people. Some might confuse a booing of an umpire for example with a coincidental handling of the ball by a minority. Not being flippant but given the current escalation of events, every white person would be best served to not boo at all.

Well, rather than invoke a hypothetical in this strange ISIS invasion, take a look at continental Europe. You can't step foot on an inch of soil that hasn't be previously owned by another, and been fought over. And yet following your reasoning every single person who lives there must be sorry, without necessarily knowing who to, how many people, or why.

Ridiculous.
I'm not talking about Europe. I don't live there, and I never said you have to say sorry. I'm talking about understanding someone else's point of view, you can't change the past but there are ways to move forward productively in unison, but not if you can't at least make some basic concessions first.

I'm not sure what your point is anyway, there are multiple examples within Europe of people still fighting because of these same issues. Maybe if more people actually did say sorry things would get better.

God, it's almost like he's human isn't it?

He doesn't.

This. At the end of the day, the man is a human being. The lack of empathy is startling, and quite frankly, depressing. This has gone on long enough, and is just pathetic now.

Well, rather than invoke a hypothetical in this strange ISIS invasion, take a look at continental Europe. You can't step foot on an inch of soil that hasn't be previously owned by another, and been fought over. And yet following your reasoning every single person who lives there must be sorry, without necessarily knowing who to, how many people, or why.

Ridiculous.

Comparing a continent fought over for 2-3,000 years to an Island that has been inhabited by a single tribal race for over 40,000 years...

Ridiculous.

I think its just easier to not boo anyone, full stop, not even white people. Some might confuse a booing of an umpire for example with a coincidental handling of the ball by a minority. Not being flippant but given the current escalation of events, every white person would be best served to not boo at all.
That's the spirit. No wonder I don't frequent the main board too often...

so now it's not about Adam Goodes, but it's about the right to boo, but the right to boo will be used on Adam Goodes.
Clearly the right to boo needs to be enshrined in the constitution.

It's that important.............:rolleyes:

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-28_17-36-45.png
    upload_2015-7-28_17-36-45.png
    208 bytes · Views: 7
There are racists who go to the footy.
Anyone who goes to the footy is supporting the racists.
If you go to the footy when Goodes is playing you should be ashamed of yourself.

Same logic....Pretty silly isn't it.
That isn't the same logic. Going to the footy isn't an action target at an individual.
Goodes on the other hand had a big hissy fit which prompted his boos to grow.
Can you show me where Goodes has done anything other than respond to questions on the booing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back