• Forward

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ruck

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the lateral kick off right hbf to Guthrie he missed that led to a turnover goal. Was a bad miss no doubt. Not gonna prosecute him for that one miss.

Go Catters
On the other hand, he had some lovely kicks- long and low- that spotted up a teammate beautifully.
True- on his performance to date- we shouldn't condemn the bloke. He had a DE of 72%- probably the best of any player going through the midfield. Others were going at about 40-55%- including Selwood who had a game-high 7 clangers and 55% DE. Much lower than his usual output.

Blicavs had 11 touches to quarter time. Not sure what happened after that, but certainly his influence was much lower. Did anyone pay closer attention to it than me spot what happened? Or did he just drift out of the game as we started to let Norf run and carry?

Blicavs had 11 touches to quarter time. Not sure what happened after that, but certainly his influence was much lower. Did anyone pay closer attention to it than me spot what happened? Or did he just drift out of the game as we started to let Norf run and carry?

Again, Goldstein monstered us. Blicavs did well last week against Zac Smith playing that loose rucking/midfield role helping out Stanley, but this week, Goldstein was winning almost everything. He is also just as fit as Blicavs and did not tire as the game went on. 21 disposals says it all really.
Blicavs just couldn't get by that considerable frame.

I remember the lateral kick off right hbf to Guthrie he missed that led to a turnover goal. Was a bad miss no doubt. Not gonna prosecute him for that one miss.

Go Catters
He was BOG at that point though.

He was BOG at that point though.

Absolutely. He was on fire and going great.

My point was that he made one blunder that led to a turnover goal. Im not going to drop him for that. Boris, HT and Domsy have plenty on record as well.

Its all learning at this point. He will be better for it. And as you say, he's getting gore confident in his place in the side and his roles as he plays them.

Go Catters

You could even point out that since all modern game plans, tactics and analysis are based on roles, the use of the archaic term "position" is of very limited value.
Admit it, you wanted to say "is of very limited utility", didn't you. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is a matter where the position works for Blicavs and works for us. Many players are more restricted to where they could play - but I think we need to find his best position and get the most out of him.

I thought originally he could become, in a few years, a KPB. Mainly because we will need one when Lonners goes and Blitz does have some of the attributes that could make him a decent KBP.

Now I think he is better suited for himself and the team to play as a mid. Big body, reasonably good hands and is reading the play better - and is prepared to tackle and go in pretty hard. He will get better as a mid - and he can also go third man up when required - and few third men up can get to the height he gets to - so could be a decent tactic (although it leaves us one less at the drop of the ball).

We desperately need a strong big mid that gets clearances - or at least holds up opposition clearances. He is not there yet but maybe with another 10 games at it he will be good enough. he seems to learn pretty fast. His overhead marking and kicking is improving - and so makes a good target around the ground as a mid. he can run with the ball and when he can find space when we are rebounding - he could be a very good mid for us.

Even though it seems to be a bit of a dying position with the way teams move the ball and defend, wondering if he could play as a lead up half-forward for us. While we know he has the fantastic endurance & great work ethic etc., so far he’s only been able to use those attributes to help us be ‘competitive’ against people who have other attributes, for example ruckmen who are bigger & stronger with better ruck technique & pretty good endurance anyway, or wingmen who have faster top speed. It seems Clark & Hawkins are not quick enough or agile enough to offer too much further up the ground at the moment, with Clark rucking also. Not sure Walker can play that role, and it seems we're setting Stanley for more a ruck role. Who knows what Vardy might offer upon return.

I don’t think he’ll ever be a pack-crashing contested marking monster, but perhaps Blicavs could play somewhat in the Nick Riewoldt style of hard running roaming forward who has to be minded by one of the taller defenders that might otherwise hang around deeper with Hawkins and co.

If I remember correctly in his debut v the Hawks in 2013 Scott said he was currently our no. 1 ruck option even if all were fit, and not much has changed. And we seem to have got steadily worse at winning the ball back off the opposition once we’ve lost a clearance.

I think it is a matter where the position works for Blicavs and works for us. Many players are more restricted to where they could play - but I think we need to find his best position and get the most out of him.

I thought originally he could become, in a few years, a KPB. Mainly because we will need one when Lonners goes and Blitz does have some of the attributes that could make him a decent KBP.

Now I think he is better suited for himself and the team to play as a mid. Big body, reasonably good hands and is reading the play better - and is prepared to tackle and go in pretty hard. He will get better as a mid - and he can also go third man up when required - and few third men up can get to the height he gets to - so could be a decent tactic (although it leaves us one less at the drop of the ball).

We desperately need a strong big mid that gets clearances - or at least holds up opposition clearances. He is not there yet but maybe with another 10 games at it he will be good enough. he seems to learn pretty fast. His overhead marking and kicking is improving - and so makes a good target around the ground as a mid. he can run with the ball and when he can find space when we are rebounding - he could be a very good mid for us.

I'm tending to agree with this post.:thumbsu:
He is showing some great signs this season and his composure and ability to find a target by hand in traffic is improving. As is his positioning and marking.
If only all our young guys could keep improving at his rate we would be a force to be reckoned with.
Well worth keeping him in this role to see how it works out.

Pretty much agree with everything you've said. After his solid performance against Gold Coast & that first quarter against NM, I am leaning more towards him playing as a mid. His running ability along with his tackling and work in close would be wasted down back (even though he did show potential down back). He'll obviously need a bit more experience on the ball before he is able to consider himself a genuine mid but like you said, he learns fast and that first quarter vs NM showed what he is capable of. He did fade a bit after qtr time but most of the team did. He certainly seems to have the determination and the head on his shoulders to really become something. It will be interesting to see where he plays on Saturday against the Tigers. I'd love to see him get a full game on ball and see if he can take advantage of the wide open space of the MCG.

Due to the fact the list management staff have ignored the greatest hole in our list in the medium to long term (key defence), we HAVE to play him and hope he becomes a key defender.

Taylor is getting on, lonergan has 1 yr remaining and already looks shaky and rivers won't play in 2016. We have kolo (a natural 3rd tall/rivers replacement) and that's it.

Poor recruiting by GFC to let this situation become so dire if you ask me.

The most concerning thing is we don't even know if blicavs can play this role, he may fail at it which leaves us just with kolo (in the words of BT wowee).

If we somehow manage to find a lonergan replacement, I'd want to train blitz up as 'our' Bontempelli.

Maybe more of a handball happy Bontempelli. He has the size and athleticism just would need training as an inside mid.

Personally I think he'd be more suited to this role than key defender.

But what I really think will happen is our inept development coaching will leave him in no mands land and he will, unfortunately, remain an ok role player without a defined position as he is now with no superstar qualities. Yes, I currently have little faith in our coaches to develop talent at the moment.

Tough call that….Blicavs wasn't an AFL footballer 2 years ago, and hadn't played footy since U14's…now he's considered an "our Bontempelli"…or at least a good player who is developing nicely.

Seems the coaching staff were able to develop him very well from where I sit.

No doubt he has improved. But can he reach the next level? IMO that is harder to develop.

Yes blitz has improved but why havnt Duncan, motlop, caddy reached the next level? What has happened to HS, kersten, Murdoch? What happened to Brown, Hunt?

There currently seem to be a lot more negative stories than positive in terms of our development. I think this problem is very real, and I've based my above post on the bigger picture. Obviously, hope I'm proved wrong.

Due to the fact the list management staff have ignored the greatest hole in our list in the medium to long term (key defence), we HAVE to play him and hope he becomes a key defender.

Taylor is getting on, lonergan has 1 yr remaining and already looks shaky and rivers won't play in 2016. We have kolo (a natural 3rd tall/rivers replacement) and that's it.

Poor recruiting by GFC to let this situation become so dire if you ask me.

The most concerning thing is we don't even know if blicavs can play this role, he may fail at it which leaves us just with kolo (in the words of BT wowee).

If we somehow manage to find a lonergan replacement, I'd want to train blitz up as 'our' Bontempelli.

Maybe more of a handball happy Bontempelli. He has the size and athleticism just would need training as an inside mid.

Personally I think he'd be more suited to this role than key defender.

But what I really think will happen is our inept development coaching will leave him in no mands land and he will, unfortunately, remain an ok role player without a defined position as he is now with no superstar qualities. Yes, I currently have little faith in our coaches to develop talent at the moment.
Whilst I get the comparison to Bont, the chasm between blitz and Bont is epic in terms of skills.
Both could be 10 year players but skill wise they are also about ten years apart.

Of course , Blitz is getting better and will close the gap over to e but IMO Bont is a once in a generation type.

Go Catters

Whilst I get the comparison to Bont, the chasm between blitz and Bont is epic in terms of skills.
Both could be 10 year players but skill wise they are also about ten years apart.

Of course , Blitz is getting better and will close the gap over to e but IMO Bont is a once in a generation type.

Go Catters

Agree.

What I meant was he could become our big contested ball winning athletic mid. No doubt bont has superior skills but I think blicavs could be developed into that tall prototype mid.

Still, I think he has to give key defence a go first as we have no other options besides kolo coming through.

Back