The Bigfooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
DDG did cost a record amount for a keeper going to a British club at the time he moved to MUFC. Ederson also was a record amount.
Griezmann signed a new deal with Atletico, as part of that was a pledge to sign new players for the squad.

Selling Oblak would go against that so unless he puts in a transfer request he is likely to stay now IMO
Oblak had already signed a new contract himself, increasing his release clause to around 150M. There seems to be a lot of repeated rumours that people are taking more seriously than they should.

Dembele is also, unsurprisingly, expected to stay at Barca. You know, since they spent a **** load on him.

Stevie is apparently locking in a loan of Ejaria for next season, and is hoping to do the same with Solanke. It's a bit of a drop-off to the Scottish League, but playing regular football in a system that should echo LFC's could make sense. Given he already has the physique, however, I'm not sure it's right for Dom.

Just like spending £75m on VVD was seen by some as "outrageous". I don't think anyone is complaining now. We potentially could have found a defender for half the price who would have been better than Lovren or Matip, but we identified the player we wanted and got it done.

I have no idea if we're even interested in Oblak and if we are, what the going price would be. But he is considered to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world and if there is a realistic chance for us to get him then we'd be stupid not to do everything we can to make it happen.
I guess there is just a stigma around GKers not being outfield players and the history of the price of GKers. I mean whats the world record fee for a keeper? 35m for Ederson right? To then go and spend three times that just seems crazy.

I guess it all comes down to what we can afford. If we say blew 100m on a GK but that in no way affected us bringing in our other targets like Fekir, another striker, a wide player etc then absolutely do it.

But if spending 100m on a GK means we have to downgrade in our options for another striker, wide player, CM etc then surely we can find greater value elsewhere. Like what about Navas, if Courtois comes in then he would be looking to get out. Value there. Could look at someone like Timo Horn or Bernd Leno.

there's footage of the man being elbowed in the head
You can get elbowed in the head though and not suffer a concussion. It screams excuse and to take the heat off him. But if it helps him, then im ok with it as he is obviously super upset.

I'd like nothing more than for him to bounce back and become imperious at the back and save a penalty or something in a CL final to win us the game. I'd love for him to have a redemption. He seems a good kid and you could see how upset he was. We're all humans after all.

But ive said it previously. Unless he is super human mentally, then I think he struggles to come back from that.

the biggest card getter in spanish history, who we've watched be the ultimate campaigner to other teams for 10 years, comes up against us, elbows our keeper in the head, brain trauma experts in Boston declare keeper was concussed, LFC fans say it's an excuse??

I reckon out of all sports in the world, the transfer period for Football is both the worst and the best. The best because of the amount of activity and big named players on the move each year. The worst because the amount of bullshit that comes out of the tabloids.

Probably a good 99% of all the rumors end up being wrong, and those that are right are because of pure luck. I know we bitch about AFL media for its sensationalism and getting things wrong. But there is little to no integrity and accountability by the tabloids in Soccer, and everyone seems to have a source who has said this and that, without actually stating who said what exactly and when.

Spanish papers are the worst. They always pull out over the top ones and repeat them year after year. Its almost like they are an inside con job to try and pressure other clubs into instability, and to get players into making their way into the Spanish league.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Mane and Klopp rumors are nothing. Just an attempt to stir things up and hope something bites or happens. (Even though Mane rumor originated from France)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the biggest card getter in spanish history, who we've watched be the ultimate campaigner to other teams for 10 years, comes up against us, elbows our keeper in the head, brain trauma experts in Boston declare keeper was concussed, LFC fans say it's an excuse??

Well considering many were telling him and his family to die, do you expect much different from a classless bunch of fans? People need to realize its just a freaking game, that has zero impact on their own lives. Should be grateful we are up there and competing for anything. Hundreds of teams across Europe and their fans just make up the numbers every year and will never win a trophy of any sort in their entire lifetime.

Social media does not represent real life, just as d***heads do not represent a community (and there are a lot of d***heads and bots on social media).

"LFC fans say it's an excuse" does not mean all fans, and those of us in here are saying it looks like that, not that it is that.

Putting out a Press Release saying that, partly based on his own descriptions, there may have been concussion seems odd. The test was done Thursday. If the club wanted to check it out, they should. Player welfare and all that. Finding out it is concussion? OK, you can tell people that. But an official release looks like they are trying to say 'this is why he made his errors'. Especially as it specifically says "visual spatial dysfunction existed and likely occurred immediately following the event". i.e. He may not have realised how close Benzema was; and may have misjudged Bale's shot.

It says he is still on the improve. Did he party after the event? If he was concussed, it actually implies that LFC didn't look after him very well by only checking 5 days later. It begs a bunch of questions really.

If they want something to happen to Ramos, then you can understand them stating that, but there's no suggestion of anything like that. It's just about the way it looks. Let it become a story, questions be asked, and say you can provide the expert opinion if the press want it. But leading with a Press Release that says they won't answer any questions, and all questions should go to "the Liverpool FC Press Office" just looks odd. Maybe a journo was onto it, but it came out of the blue. It may not have even been pushed by the club. It may be Karius himself wanting to get this out. He isn't in pre-season training yet.

Some people cast their votes a long time ago, and nothing will change that.

I still want a new keeper regardless of the final, neither Karius or Mignolet fill me with confidence long term.

Like Van Dijk spend the money and get it right.

Nothing in the Mane rumours.

Tabloids.

Bale leaving.
Mane played well in a big final.
Mane played against Real Madrid.
Shop window.
Madrid must want Mane to replace Bale.

Print story!

It's absolute hogwash.
They've also been interested in Hazard and Neymar who both play his position, and then Zidane quit

not going anywhere.

I guess there is just a stigma around GKers not being outfield players and the history of the price of GKers. I mean whats the world record fee for a keeper? 35m for Ederson right? To then go and spend three times that just seems crazy.

I guess it all comes down to what we can afford. If we say blew 100m on a GK but that in no way affected us bringing in our other targets like Fekir, another striker, a wide player etc then absolutely do it.

But if spending 100m on a GK means we have to downgrade in our options for another striker, wide player, CM etc then surely we can find greater value elsewhere. Like what about Navas, if Courtois comes in then he would be looking to get out. Value there. Could look at someone like Timo Horn or Bernd Leno.

We paid a world-record fee for a defender (£75m) - one and a half times the previous record fee for a central defender (David Luiz, £50m). No one is complaining about that price now, because what price can you put on quality?

Not sure why there should be a stigma around goalkeepers. If instead of de Gea, United had had in place an "average" goalkeeper over the last four or five years, how many points off worse off would they be? How often do we bemoan de Gea's brilliance in what aside from him appears to be a relatively ordinary United side?

I personally haven't seen anywhere near enough of Oblak to have formed a view as to whether he is worth £100m or not - but the fact that he seems almost universally regarded as one of the best in the business to me means that he must be pretty bloody good. He is only 25 as well, and based on the conventional wisdom that goalkeepers mature later than outfield players, we could potentially get 10 or so years of service from one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Again, can you really put a price on that?

We simply have to buy a top keeper, no matter the cost, the past 5 years of absolute clownfest in front of goal from the usual suspects should make it very clear

Karius cannot be no.1 next season, imagine the songs and trolling he'd be getting from every single away crowd he'd be at, who knows if he can even mentally handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back